I just can't get it to work (Connection Failure)

Maphuse

Maphuse

Hi!

I've been trying for a while now to get any kind of media server running on my PC and am experiencing nothing but failure.

I started out with plex, but their system dosn't appear to work with my ISP, who recently switched my connection to ipv6.

So I searched, read some great stuff about emby and gave it a shot. Easy setup, beautiful UI, html5, free, everything seems to be perfect. A forum entry from here said that ipv6 should work. Except that I can't get it to work.

Using emby connect, I can get the server to show up in the Android app and in a browser on a remote pc, but I always get "Connection Failure" when I try to connect. I have forwarded the relevant ports in my router and allowed emby through the windows firewall. What else can I do?

I should probably mention that my LAN card currently operates in bridge mode, because that's the only way I can connect my Yamaha receiver to my home network. Does this make any difference at all?

I'll be thrilled if anyone can help!

Log.txt

Maphuse

I get stuck at "test your external address" I get an http:// and then my external ipv6 address, when I enter that into a browser on a remote device, I only get a Google search for my ipv6 address. I should add that I have also tried turning off ipv6 on my server machine, which gave me an external ipv4 address. However, entering this into an external browser is unsuccessful as well, the page can't be reached.

Maphuse

Thanks for your replies!

As I mentioned in the OP, I've setup port forwarding in my router and allowed the server program through my firewall. Any other ideas?

pir8radio

Your ISP is not going to be 100% IPv6 so i would disable IPV6 on your server network card settings until you get connected on v4 first.  People dont usually like to help with home network issues, there are so many variables, and one misunderstanding on how something should/is setup creates hours of lost remote troubleshooting time...    Start with explaining your setup..  Who your isp is, what kind of modem, router etc...  please...

Maphuse

Alright:

My server setup: A Windows 10 PC is my server. It is connected to the router via cable to the built-in network card. I have a second USB LAN adapter connected to the pc, which in turn connects to a Yamaha receiver. These two LAN connections are bridged in Windows to enable me to access the network with the receiver.

ISP: UPC Austria (they are infamous for switching people over to ipv6 as they're running out of v4 addresses)

Router/modem: technicolor tc7200 (provided by the ISP). I have an old airport extreme lying around too, but I have had nothing but problems with it in the past, so I never use it.

Thanks for your help!

mjktg99

Are you also putting in the colon( : ) and port number when trying to connect?

Edited by mjktg99

Maphuse

I keep seeing this line in my logs: "2016-03-12 18:09:35.2722 Error HttpAsyncTaskHandler: Error occured while Processing Request: Access token is required."

Could that be a pointer towards the problem?

pir8radio

So lets start basic, in your router settings  Advanced Tab is the UPnP check box checked?   do you know how to go into a command prompt?  if so open one up and type ipconfig from the emby server PC.  Does the first ipv6 address in ipconfig match what emby is showing?

Maphuse

So lets start basic, in your router settings  Advanced Tab is the UPnP check box checked?  do you know how to go into a command prompt?  if so open one up and type ipconfig from the emby server PC.  Does the first ipv6 address in ipconfig match what emby is showing?

OK, so both of these things don't look good.

I don't have a UPnP check box in my router settings unfortunately! But doesn't the port forwarding make UPnP obsolete?

Regarding the ipv6 shown in ipconfig, no, it doesn't match the emby address. More specifically, the one I see in emby is the one titled "Temporary ipv6 address".

pir8radio

OK, so both of these things don't look good.

I don't have a UPnP check box in my router settings unfortunately! But doesn't the port forwarding make UPnP obsolete?

Regarding the ipv6 shown in ipconfig, no, it doesn't match the emby address. More specifically, the one I see in emby is the one titled "Temporary ipv6 address".

Yes if you have manually setup port forwarding then UPnP is not needed.    

So if you setup port forwarding how did you go about that?  Show your settings..     I suspect you port forwarded an ipv4 address, which wont work if you only have an ipv6 address...    and most crappy routers do not allow ipv6 port forwarding yet.. even though they let you obtain an ipv6 address from your isp..    But one step at a time.. lets see how you have your port forwarding setup first.

Edited by pir8radio

Maphuse

Huh I guess that could be a problem, I'm indeed using an ipv4 address for port forwarding (see screenshot).

Oh, and I changed the port to 8023 in emby, because I wanted to make sure that it's not another application using the original port. I did that only recently, so it's not the primary reason for my problem.

post-120589-0-69424200-1457856219_thumb.png

Edited by Maphuse

mjktg99

From a networKing stand point (ignoring emby and it's needs) I don't think you need to forward ports anymore with ipv6. Your server should be getting an internt accessible ipv6 address. A firewall would be the only thing blocking access.

So 2 suggestions I have, try disabling your firewall and see what happens. Also, emby has had troubles when multiple network adapters are installed, so try disabling or removing the usb lan adapter and see if you get an ip in emby that matches the ipconfig address.

pir8radio

From a networKing stand point (ignoring emby and it's needs) I don't think you need to forward ports anymore with ipv6. Your server should be getting an internt accessible ipv6 address. A firewall would be the only thing blocking access.

So 2 suggestions I have, try disabling your firewall and see what happens. Also, emby has had troubles when multiple network adapters are installed, so try disabling or removing the usb lan adapter and see if you get an ip in emby that matches the ipconfig address.

Partially true...  You need to punch a hole in the firewall for your top line IPv6 address...  you dont want to just kill a firewall with an ipv6 system.. puts your pc right on the net for everyone.   

@@Maphuse it almost sounds like you will need to invest in an IPv6 router that has capability to allow IPv6 firewall rules..  Which are kind of limited at the moment..    DD-WRT firmware allows this, so do the home "cisco" linksys routers..  Once you get a router that will allow ipv6 firewall rules, you can then disable the router in your existing modem/router and let the new router do the work..      Other than that, I dont suggest it, but you can do what @@mjktg99 suggests, and set your existing router to make your emby server the DMZ and hope your windows firewall does what it is supposed to..  

I dont know what is available in Austria but if you give some examples maybe we can help you pick an ipv6 worthy router...

Edited by pir8radio

mjktg99

Other than that, I dont suggest it, but you can do what @@mjktg99 suggests, and set your existing router to make your emby server the DMZ and hope your windows firewall does what it is supposed to..  

I'm definitely not suggesting this as a fix, but a troubleshooting step.  To hopefully point you in the right direction.

• Like 1

Maphuse

Partially true... You need to punch a hole in the firewall for your top line IPv6 address... you dont want to just kill a firewall with an ipv6 system.. puts your pc right on the net for everyone.

@@Maphuse it almost sounds like you will need to invest in an IPv6 router that has capability to allow IPv6 firewall rules.. Which are kind of limited at the moment.. DD-WRT firmware allows this, so do the home "cisco" linksys routers.. Once you get a router that will allow ipv6 firewall rules, you can then disable the router in your existing modem/router and let the new router do the work.. Other than that, I dont suggest it, but you can do what @@mjktg99 suggests, and set your existing router to make your emby server the DMZ and hope your windows firewall does what it is supposed to..

I dont know what is available in Austria but if you give some examples maybe we can help you pick an ipv6 worthy router...

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "make your emby server the DMZ". I tried disabling the firewall in my router, but emby still only shows my temporary ipv6. Is this what you meant?

On a different note: Earlier in the thread, you suggested to turn off ipv6 in my network adapter settings - do you have any more troubleshooting suggestions for this scenario?

Ultimately, I will think about getting a new router, because the technicolor is pretty awful anyways, but maybe we can find a temporary fix at least.

Edited by Maphuse

pir8radio

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "make your emby server the DMZ". I tried disabling the firewall in my router, but emby still only shows my temporary ipv6. Is this what you meant?

On a different note: Earlier in the thread, you suggested to turn off ipv6 in my network adapter settings - do you have any more troubleshooting suggestions for this scenario?

Ultimately, I will think about getting a new router, because the technicolor is pretty awful anyways, but maybe we can find a temporary fix at least.

No.. Usually as ISP's change to IPv6 they don't ditch ipv4 from the get go...   I'm surprised you are 100% IPv6...   they must be doing something on their end so you can view ipv4 websites...      Can you view   https://ipv4.google.com  ?     If you can they have a hand in delivering ipv4 sites to your ipv6 only connection..

But anyway, there isn't much more you can do until you can route/pass ipv6 requests to your PC...

Maphuse

No.. Usually as ISP's change to IPv6 they don't ditch ipv4 from the get go...   I'm surprised you are 100% IPv6...   they must be doing something on their end so you can view ipv4 websites...      Can you view   https://ipv4.google.com  ?     If you can they have a hand in delivering ipv4 sites to your ipv6 only connection..

But anyway, there isn't much more you can do until you can route/pass ipv6 requests to your PC...

Yes, I can view that site. As I understand, my ISP has implemented something called DS-Lite, which is giving a lot of people massive problems with personal clouds, gaming, VPNs, home automation etc., as it makes it impossible to establish incoming connections from ipv4. Pure ipv6 connections, however, should be possible.

Am I correct in assuming that the only thing that stops me from establishing a direct ipv6 connection from my phone to my PC is the inferior router? Would this router be a good candidate for DD-WRT, and would this solve my problems?

Another solution I have found online is this, but it's subscription based and increses latency, so not ideal. Would I still need to buy a new router with this portmapper solution?

Edited by Maphuse

Maphuse

I made an interesting observation today.

After signing up for a trial for the port mapping service of static-access.net (link above), I was able to reach my system from my mobile phone by entering the "temporary ipv6 address" into the port mapping service (the one that is also shown in emby dash) and then using an ipv4 address that was given to me by the port mapping service into my mobile browser and in the emby app.

This means that the problem was that my mobile ISP doesn't use ipv6, which kept me from establishing a direct connection to my server.

So I have this functioning setup for now, but it requires me to manually enter the ipv6 into the port mapping service and then enter their ipv4 into the emby app, which makes emby connect useless. Is there a way to force emby connect to use the new ipv4 of the port mapping service?

Another concern I have with this method is that I am now using this "temporary ipv6 address" from my server, and windows changes this address every now and then. Consequently, I will have to enter the new address into the port mapping service every time it changes, which pretty bothersome. Is there any way around this?

Happy2Play

And what happens if you disable ipv6 on your server machine?

Maphuse

And what happens if you disable ipv6 on your server machine?

Then I'm back to zero, because I have no way to connect to my server from outside.

I do get an ipv4-address from my provider, but it doesn't work when I enter it into a browser on my phone or a remote machine, because my ISP doesn't give me a true ipv4 address anymore. The so-called "Dual-Stack Lite" technology, which is effectively a 4in6-tunnel, sends v4 packets through a v6 connection. The external ipv4-Address that I get just represents the endpoint of that tunnel, but there is no ipv4 address that actually identifies my server - each individual connection exclusively uses an ipv6 address to face the internet. So switching off ipv6 just forces the connection through the tunnel, but it doesn't actually create a genuine ipv4 connection.

Edited by Maphuse