Qnap server+Kodi+Emby on FireTVs

Lee.Kron

Lee.Kron

Oh. My. God.  It's working.  I seriously thought I tried every combo there was.  I feel so dumb.  

Why the forward slashes on the server side (from) and back slashes on the other (to)?  (I swear I'm not a noob, I've never been this hung up before. I am a noob to the server though. First one I've ever owned and it's been a long time since I goofed with Linux. Not to mention it's proprietary QTS system)

You are the best, thank you so much.

Still getting server unreachable on one of my fire sticks. Smh.

Edited by Lee.Kron
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

The path substitution is just a string replacement. Your local linux paths are formatted as /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.

The From part will grab that part of your library path, and substitute it with the To part. :) Network path are defined with backward slashes \\ when the file protocol is not attached. The client picks up on it, and reformats your path accordingly (attaching the file protocol smb). The final path communicated to Kodi looks like smb://192.168.x.xxx/Movie Collection/content.ext

Glad you got it working :)

Angelblue05

Still getting server unreachable on one of my fire sticks. Smh.

Make sure the primary server address in the add-on settings has no slashes in it. 

Lee.Kron

I had the enable HTTPS checked on in Emby settings.  Got rid of that and now the second Fire stick is good.  Going to correct the issues on the 3rd and final (hardwired) Fire TV box.  I don't expect any issues now.  I'm a little disappointed in the fact that it isn't running a little quicker than it is.  I didn't expect any speed issues.  There is some buffering going on that I wouldn't have expected.  The server is a pretty beasty QNAP. quad core with 4 gig of ram upgradable to 16 but for a server at home I shouldn't need much more if any. I'm currently running two movies at once and I'm going to try for a third right now.

Again, thank you so much for all the help. You were great.

I wonder if NFS would work better.  Not sure how that works with Emby for settings though. Anyway. You're awesome.

Edited by Lee.Kron

Angelblue05

Check your emby dashboard when you are playing in Kodi. Mouseover the active device box, let me know if it's direct playing or direct streaming.

Lee.Kron

Lots of buffering and choppy playback. I don't get it.  When I ran things off my PC with UPnP, I never had issues with buffering. At least not often or badly.

Edited by Lee.Kron

Lee.Kron

Well the two playing now are both mp4 but I have all kinds of files ranging from AVI to MKV to ISO.

The server is hardly being worked.  CPU at 1% and ram at 25%

Angelblue05

The playback is controlled by Kodi entirely. Maybe it's chocking using smb. Maybe you'd have better results with nfs. Have you tried? Very simple adjustment, it should be, just change the To part of your path substitution to nfs://<server ip>/ instead of \\<servername>\ should do the trick I think.

Edit: Sorry for my poor english, I'm pretty exhausted hah :)

Edited by Angelblue05

Lee.Kron

I am as well.  I will give it a try.  Beings the server has two IP addresses I wonder if I could set up two path substitutions and use one FireTv with that server IP and NFS to test?  It's after 2 a.m. where I am. lol.  I'm going to give up for the night when I verify the third one is working.  Was getting a weird error in Kodi trying to find a SMB share unknown 8612 error or something to that effect.  I cleared Kodis data and reinstalled all the addons. Emby is building the library right now.  Lots of glitchy playback on the other two FireTvs though.  I'm thinking NFS has less overhead than SMB so maybe it would be a good solution.

breezytm

I was going to post a reply. Started typing it and something came up. When to take care of it and totally forget about it. Anyway, if i had replied back I could of saved you a lot of troubleshooting. That was three days ago. Sorry about that :)

Here's an example of my path subscription 

/share/MD0_DATA/Multimedia/Videos/TV Shows
\\QNAPSERVER\Multimedia\Videos\TV Shows

Multimedia is the shared folder on the server. It was a while back I set this up but I recalled if I don't set the path accordingly I would get really poor playback in kodi. Give that a try 

Edited by breezytm
  • Like 1

Lee.Kron

Thanks @@breezytm.  I will mess around with it.  Even though I have it working now, I haven't streamed to multiple devices simultaneously since that first night.  So it is working well.  I also have it going via NFS.  Now that I accumulated vast amounts of experience from this last weekend I'm more confident in messing around because I know how to get it all back now quite easily should it get messed up or start to not work.

My paths are not like yours in the way that the To: line doesn't drill all the way down like that.  It is my server name is all. If it helps to point further down the path for Kodi then I will certainly do that.  Otherwise things as they are for at least one device have been working pretty well and I'm very psyched about my new set up with the server. (Kodi has always been awesome and I'm digging Emby right now as well.)

Thanks again, all of you! Great community, glad to be a part.

Edited by Lee.Kron
  • Like 3