Is a backend recording service needed now?

hakras

hakras

First, Emby is a great product, the development is fantastic, and the support is top notch.

I have been using Windows Media Center with HDHomeRuns and XBOX 360s as extenders for years.  During that time, I've been using Emby to stream Movies.  I recently started using NextPVR to compensate for some guide issues with WMC and to take advantage of multi-record.  I also purchased a Nvidia Shield TV to see if it is a feasible XBOX 360 replacement.  To try and "clean up" my backend configuration, I built a Windows 7 WMC system running the Emby client to serve the XBOX 360 systems.  I also rebuilt my media server, which is now running Windows 10, Emby Server, and NextPVR.  However, I have been testing the Emby app on the Nvidia Shield (also have been testing Kodi) and realized that NextPVR may not be needed.  However, a few issues that need to be addressed:

1. I have 1 HDHomeRun Prime and 2 HDHomeRun Connects and a Scheduled Direct account.  It appears that Emby's TV Guide will only support a single Schedules Direct configuration (antenna or cable).  Is this a known issue?  Is there a fix or plan to fix?

2. I do a lot of back-to-back recordings.  Does the the Emby recording service/engine support multi-record?

Sorry if these have already been answered.  I looked around the forums and the wiki, but didn't find any solutions.  If either of the above are a "NO", then I will continue to use NextPVR as the backend recording service.  However, I prefer to view these recordings in Emby as opposed to Kodi (mostly due to horrible fast forward response and the really nice Emby interface).  I noticed a "Watch Folder" section that I may be able to take advantage of.  Would it "Watch" the NextPVR recording directory and move/copy them to an Emby directory?

TIA

Edited by hakras

legallink

The answer to #1, at least right now, is no, or not yet.  I believe it is planned for the future, but it currently only supports 1 guide.

Isn't there a NextPVR plugin for the server?  I use ServerWMC and never go into WMC, I configure everything through emby.

mellomade

For #1 - read this:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/28338-multiple-tuner-devices-but-only-get-guide-data-for-one-at-a-time/

For #2 - it depends on how you define back-to-back.

For back-to-back recordings taking place on different channels - yes - EmbyTV handles these just fine provided you have enough tuners to cover the channels required for every recording.  Where it gets difficult is when you have back-to-back recordings scheduled and all the tuners are occupied.  What EmbyTV currently does not have is the ability to simultaneously dump the tuner stream for a particular channel to multiple files when a recording is scheduled to overlap on the same channel.

For example - let's say you have 2 tuners and have set 2 shows to record from 7:00pm-7:30pm with 2 minutes of padding on either side.  Then you have 2 more shows scheduled from 7:30pm-8:00pm on the same channels.  What will currently happen is EmbyTV will record your first 2 shows for 34 minutes - and then your subsequent shows will be 30 minutes (but offset by 2 minutes because of the previous show padding).  EmbyTV will check every 60 seconds when a recording is missed (in this example 2 are missed as all tuners are busy) however it does not open the later scheduled shows at their correct start times and copy the stream data like NextPVR or WMC do.

Clear as mud... ;)

hakras

OK...It looks like it is not quite there yet.  I do have the NextPVR plugin installed and configured.  But, I didn't get any TV data until I set up the TV section in Emby.  I'm guessing I didn't set it up correctly.  At this point, I think I'd like to keep NextPVR as the backend and Emby as the frontend.  Could anyone point me to instructions for this type of setup?  I think I got it wrong.

hakras

I think I found out why NextPVR wasn't showing up through the plugin.  The web URL wasn't working.  It was giving an error that I resolved.  Now, it appears that Emby is able to communicate with NextPVR.  Should I be removing the Tuners and Guide from Emby?

rarefc3s

You don't remove the tuners but you do click on the tuner and un-check "Enable Tuner." This way your plugin, NextPVR, will handle everything and Emby won't. You'll see the tuner displayed on the Live TV setup page but if you un-checked "Enable Tuner," Emby will and is ignoring it. 

rarefc3s

OK....How about the guide providers piece?

Just leave it be -don't add one. Be sure in the External Services screen NextPVR is installed, setup and enabled/running. NextPVR is the guide service and as long as you have the plugin installed, setup and running you should be working.

Edited by rarefc3s

hakras

Thanks for your help.  It seems to be working now.  However, when I try to load the guide through Emby web, the NPVR Recording Service goes up to 25-45% CPU utilization.  Is there an initial sync that is causing this behavior?

hakras

I ended up removing the NextPVR plugin.  Every time I opened the guide, CPU utilization would spike and I'd have to restart the NPVR recording service and the Emby service to get things to calm down.  I am going to use straight up Emby for Live TV.  It does a direct stream where the NextPVR plugin was forcing Emby to Transcode.  The only downside is that I can only use one tuner type for the guide to work properly.  I will use NextPVR for the PVR piece, since I want to be able to use all my tuners and take advantage of multi-record.  I know I won't be able to schedule recordings from within Emby, but I don't do that today anyway.  Is it OK to use the NextPVR recording directory as the TV Library in Emby?  If not, is there an easy way to move the content over from one to the other?  If not, I'm sure I can write up a script to use during post-processing in NextPVR.

• 2 weeks later...
denverdigiman

I don't have a Windows machine, so I can't use NextPVR... I have a HDHomeRun EXTEND (HDTC-2US), with 2 tuners, yet I don't seem to be able to record 2 different channels simultaneously with Emby... any thoughts on why that may be?

I don't have a Windows machine, so I can't use NextPVR... I have a HDHomeRun EXTEND (HDTC-2US), with 2 tuners, yet I don't seem to be able to record 2 different channels simultaneously with Emby... any thoughts on why that may be?

Hi, welcome. In order to best help you, please see how to report a problem. Thanks.

denverdigiman

Hi, welcome. In order to best help you, please see how to report a problem. Thanks.

Thanks. I ended up figuring it out... something else on my network had the tuners locked... I have 2 AppleTV's, both with the Channels app and the Plex app installed on them, plus Elgato EyeTV running on my macmini... I need to cancel all my scheduled recordings on my EyeTV, now that I'm using Emby! :)

• 8 months later...