Multiple tuner devices, but only get guide data for one at a time.

christopher.s.hadley

christopher.s.hadley

I am a long-time user of emby, but only recently started integrating live TV.  I have two HDHomeRun devices, one for Antenna and one for Cable.  The emby server setup sees both of them, they are both checked as enabled.  I have an account with Schedules Direct, and have both lineups listed, one for Comcast and one for Antenna.  I have Schedules Direct listed twice in my guide providers, once for Comcast and once for Antenna.  In emby, I only see guide data for one of the devices.  I have tried deleting and re-entering the guide provider info, and sometimes the other one will show up, and it will stop showing the other.  I am out of ideas...post-29106-0-51210200-1449597145_thumb.png

• Like 2

Hi, welcome. Currently, it merges them. We have not yet implemented multiple tuners covering multiple different sources.

mellomade

What you can do as a work around is to go into the channel lineup webpage (http://HDHR_IP/lineup.html) and disable all OTA channels for the tuner that covers your cable signal.  For a given zip code the network OTA guide should be identical to the cable one.

christopher.s.hadley

Yes, I would love for them to merge them.  It does not do that.  It gives me a merged list populated by only one of the schedules.  If you see the screenshot, it shows some channels with data, from the one device, and other channels with no data, from the other device.

christopher.s.hadley

Ok, wow I figured this out myself.  It looks like the problem was that I just needed to have Shedules Direct in the guide providers once.  When I deleted one of them, it just populated all the channels, OTA and Cable together.

christopher.s.hadley

Ok, no I didn't, I've just found out something else weird.  I deleted the Schedules direct listing for OTA, and the guide listed both for about 15 minutes, and then just showed Cable.  I added back the OTA without touching the Cable guide provider, and now it just shows OTA.

jasonmcroy

Yes, I have brought up this issue in the past as I have the exact same set up that you do. I have one HDHR Extend for OTA and a Prime for Cable. I have found the exact problem you are running into. It only populates one or the other channels guide data so I end up with blank listings for the other tuner.

There seemed to be little interest in looking into adding the ability to have two separate tuners at the moment since I was the only person bringing it up at the time. I don't think our usage scenario is common for users of Emby at this time. Or if there are others they haven't spoken up. 

I know Luke has been heavy on the iOS App and the new Emby Theater App so possibly he hasn't had time to look at how to implement this. 

That being said, if anyone else needs this type of setup, please like the first post so it gets some attention (I did).

I know it will get implemented at some point as Luke does listen to the users but there must be a need for it to have any priority I guess.

My idea of how to accomplish having two different tuners (that aren't the same type) is to have the ability to change the channel number on the OTA tuner to match the Prime's and then I think the server would just use whatever tuner is free. That is just me thinking out loud though. 

• 3 weeks later...
BobbyDing

I've just hit this exact issue. I just added a an HDHR prime CC tuner to the already working HDHR Extends (OTA). Now I only show the cable channels and not the OTA in the guide. Luke, can you explain what you mean by "Merges them"?  When I saw the empty listings I stopped the server and then deleted the epg json files from the cache, then restarted and bumped EMBY to refresh the data. Only the cable channels showed up in the new cache. So it's not pulling the OTA data anymore, even though there are two listings in the TV setup. Curious... What would happen if I mixed say, OTA in EMBY and cable via the nPVR plugin? Would it still only show one listing?

Thanks!

Bobby

568354578b6d1_halfguide.png

BobbyDing

I've answered my own question. EMBY will mix the OTA tuners in EMBY and the cable channels via nPVR plugin. While it's not the most convenient, it gets the job done. I'd prefer to have all the tuners in EMBY. Another case for this.... I have two HDHR Extends. Each point to a different city with different lineups (or the respective antenna does). I got lucky and found a single zip code where the channels from both cities are included, so I can use that one lineup for both cities. Some users may not be that lucky.

56837fb45c4b6_fullguide.png

Edited by BobbyDing
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
snake98

Hi, welcome. Currently, it merges them. We have not yet implemented multiple tuners covering multiple different sources.

This is the only reason I still am having to use Windows media center.  I have 3 antenas(4 hdhr4), All pointing in different Directions.  Is them somehting that is currently being worked on, or is it on the todo list?  Thanks.

It's not being worked on yet. Like many other things the priority is often driven based on the demand.

• 3 weeks later...

Just did a pull request to dev which should fix this. Need people to test it once it is approved or if you can compile the server from git. I tested adding the same tuner twice as i  dont have a second one, so if this works ok next is being able to merge channels, example CBS is channel 10 over the air and channel 520 in FIOS but it will show as only channel 520 and when you want to record something or watch the channel it will use both sources for the stream. It was always the goal from the moment plugin was developed to be able to do this, just didn't have the time to work on it.

Edited by jose
  • Like 1

jasonmcroy

I will be more than happy to test this out when you have it released. I have an HDHR Prime and an Extend pulling my OTA Channels. This not being available to use both is the reason I am using the Silicon Dust DVR for now because on several nights of the week I need 4 tuners and currently Emby can't give me this option. 

I really want to use Emby because it is otherwise superior with the interface. 

I am subscribing to this thread. 

So I implemented a field to allow you to change a channels number so that i can merge with those from another source. All that left is to for the code to be reviewed and approved.

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

Please test this build to see if any problems come up.

https://github.com/jose-pr/Test-Release/raw/master/Emby-Multiple-Sources.zip

It should work with HDHomerun and M3U sources.

Schedule recordings may need to be renamed if they are set for one channel only as channel ids have changed.

Pardon my ignorance, can you tell me how to test this? Do I just replace my Emby Server folder with the extracted zip? Should I be on the Dev Server? 

Just extract it anywhere, exit emby if it is running and double click on MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe , it will create its own folder called data on the same place it is extracted into and wont change any of your current installation settings

jasonmcroy

Ok. I just did that and I assume it's working. When I map a channel from my Extend to the Prime and the guide refreshes, the channel that would show up for the Extend disappears. I guess the only way to see if it's going to use that tuner is run 4 shows at once right? I can test that later when more time but this looks promising!

One thing I noticed and I am not sure if it's expected or I am doing something wrong: When I click on the Prime device it forces me to enter something in the field even though I am not going to be mapping any channels to something else on that device. 

Ok. I just did that and I assume it's working. When I map a channel from my Extend to the Prime and the guide refreshes, the channel that would show up for the Extend disappears. I guess the only way to see if it's going to use that tuner is run 4 shows at once right? I can test that later when more time but this looks promising!

One thing I noticed and I am not sure if it's expected or I am doing something wrong: When I click on the Prime device it forces me to enter something in the field even though I am not going to be mapping any channels to something else on that device. 

Did you test it? Did it stream more than 4 shows?

jasonmcroy

Well, I was able to find time tonight to try it after all. However, it will only use the tuners on my Prime unit. Once I fill up those tuners and then try to watch one more show from a channel that would be coming from my Extend unit it gives me the error that there isn't an available tuner. 

OK found the problem have to sleep now but it is a one line fix i can do tomorrow. Was able to test with one source from m3u and the hdhomerun.

Edited by jose

Well, I was able to find time tonight to try it after all. However, it will only use the tuners on my Prime unit. Once I fill up those tuners and then try to watch one more show from a channel that would be coming from my Extend unit it gives me the error that there isn't an available tuner. 

Try downloading the zip file again new version shoud be fixed. 

Also format for the map changed a little instead of:

40:200G0,50:510,20:G7

It is

40:#[200]G[0],50:#[510],20:G[7]