How to block Client/Data Collection, but not lose Premier on Windows

MSattler

Nologic, your username is befitting.

Sad you cant see the humor.

Isnt it a fact chinese own the majority of botnets which are ddosing the world?

That was a rhetorical question, of course it is true. Should I have instead said, chinawoman? Should I have spaced it out, china man? What exactly constitutes elitest? I made sure to minimize my use of the words pwn@ge and 31337. See the forest for the trees yet?

"One day your PC will make a chinese man rich"

Is that better? That would own on a shirt. Tech company employees would buy them all up.

Edited by speechles

swhitmore

In a world where we freely post every detail about our lives on social media, people are still worried about metadata collection...

There is nothing malicious going on here, and no need to make it out like there is.

DrWatson

In a world where we freely post every detail about our lives on social media, people are still worried about metadata collection...

There is nothing malicious going on here, and no need to make it out like there is.

Difference is choice I guess, you may post everything - I do not.

Moot point really since the choice is apparently coming.

• Like 1

MSattler

Far as blocking...couldn't this be done the old fashioned way? thus editing the HOSTS file?

You could do it there, but if you do not check in for 14 days, you end up losing Premier capabilities until you check in again.  Just easier to to disable a fw rule and restart, than mess with the hostfile every 2 weeks.

MSattler

The issue isn't so much the data being collected, but rather the veil of secrecy that lives around it.   From the get go someone could have easily explained what specific data was being collected, hell that is something that should be documented.  Instead, I'm sent to the Privacy Policy.....

Nologic

@ MSattler -

ahh good point about the host file.

as for "veil of secrecy" the source code is available...granted that's not easy to digest for the larger portion of user base.

Edited by Nologic

Are you suggesting the "source code" availability as documentation?

This leads to the source code change to remove all pay restrictions and make the server completely free and fraudulantly think it is lifetime supporter status. Sure you can make it hard to make from source, but then you cripple yourself on which devices have binaries available.

So using the "you could always check the source code" defense actually causes more harm than just being upfront, offer an opt-out, and being customer-centrc when it comes to their privacy. Apple is gaining momentum in their stance against the FBI. Other companies are looking rather silly in contrast.

There is a change in the wind direction. It is blowing in the consumers favor. Almost gale force winds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The issue isn't so much the data being collected, but rather the veil of secrecy that lives around it.   From the get go someone could have easily explained what specific data was being collected, hell that is something that should be documented.  Instead, I'm sent to the Privacy Policy.....

Well to answer the question, it's only the name of the app, the version, the type of device. its' really just so that we know what apps are being used and where our efforts should be focused.

Nologic

@ speechless -

Have you ever written any real code before?

Source code is always the best documentation, bar none.

Documentation often becomes out of date.

You are going off on tangents...no one is obfuscating the nature of the code...or has anyone made suggestions to do so.

The Apple vs FBI thing is about backdoors not data collection.

By the way there is no real money is DOS attacks.

@ Luke -

Hell that is a lot less data than I'd want to collect, if I were in your shoes.

I'd be interested in types of clients that connected. (HTTP, DNLA, ...)

Stuff that would suggest things are broken. (failed transcodes, failed scheduled tasks, timeouts,...)

Edited by Nologic

There is no money in denial of service attacks? What planet do you live on? The money you get is from agents who want to bring down other sites. Man you dont understand humans. Are you an robot? Beep boop beep.

I love emby dont get me wrong. I just dont love tracking cookies, beacons, and little programs that act like ET and phone home.

BTW, if you dont know if Ive written code or not or such then your google-fu is pretty weak sauce. Try "speechles -speechless" and see what happens. Look for eggdrop scripts. Try using "speechles -speechless +GBA" and find tools I wrote for gameboy advance roms. Ive been around the block more than a few times.

Also which tangent? Was there a co-tangent attached, perhaps yourself? So when did we get to calculus?

The FBI thing is about what the iphone collects, and getting access to it. Same as if someone were to ask emby to spill what it tracks. You were at home, at 7pm watching seinfeld on your iphone with the emby app. You did murder your wife. You were not at some other place as youve claimed watching seinfeld. So it is the same thing really. What is collected can be used against you later.

Edited by speechles

If you cant stand the heat, stay out of the fire. :)

*nods head*

spootdev

Well to answer the question, it's only the name of the app, the version, the type of device. its' really just so that we know what apps are being used and where our efforts should be focused.

*cough*

data["localusers"] = users.Count(i => !i.ConnectLinkType.HasValue).ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture);

data["guests"] = users.Count(i => i.ConnectLinkType.HasValue && i.ConnectLinkType.Value == UserLinkType.Guest).ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture);

data["linkedusers"] = users.Count(i => i.ConnectLinkType.HasValue && i.ConnectLinkType.Value == UserLinkType.LinkedUser).ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture);

data["plugins"] = string.Join(",", _applicationHost.Plugins.Select(i => i.Id).ToArray());

*cough*

• Like 1

Nologic

@ speechles -

I've been asked to play nice, but I am questioning agreeing to such requests.

@ spootdev -

Exactly what do you find damning in that?

*cough*

data["localusers"] = users.Count(i => !i.ConnectLinkType.HasValue).ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture);

data["guests"] = users.Count(i => i.ConnectLinkType.HasValue && i.ConnectLinkType.Value == UserLinkType.Guest).ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture);

data["linkedusers"] = users.Count(i => i.ConnectLinkType.HasValue && i.ConnectLinkType.Value == UserLinkType.LinkedUser).ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture);

data["plugins"] = string.Join(",", _applicationHost.Plugins.Select(i => i.Id).ToArray());

*cough*

Right yea I forgot about that. Those first three are just counts, no names or anything like that. The last one is plugins, which is used to populate the Top Plugins list in the catalog. The info is pretty basic.

• Like 1

We don't collect crashes or timeouts or anything like that. I do think that info could help us because the info that google provides when you agree to crash reports is very useful. But like all things, only so much time to spend on it.

• Like 3

The last thing I'll say here is that installations in this world of mobile devices is a completely useless statistic (except maybe as a comparison to see how many people you lose).  It only defines the maximum number of people who could be using your app.  And we will not limit the "voice" of our users to only those who pay us or post on these forums if we can do better than that.

• Like 3

c0m3r

Not going to comment on some of the scaremongering taking place on both sides of the argument however, I do agree that the information collected, no matter how large or small, certainly should be advertised somewhere. This should not be in source code or briefly mentioned in some document somewhere. It should be clear (to everyone) and easily found.

Personally I would want to see clear explanations for why this is required, how and when it is collected and how long the information is stored for (securely). I think once you have this, you are less likely to have the mass exodus of opt-outs you want to avoid. Allowing a user to access this info would also be beneficial for transparency reasons. Doing this would make threads like this unnecessary.

• Like 1

spootdev

@ spootdev -

Exactly what do you find damning in that?

He didn't list everything?  Or you want me to look at source every release.  I didnt' say the specific data is damning.

Edited by spootdev
  • Like 1

Nologic

@ spootdev -

You are correct Luke didn't list everything the first time around off the top of his head.

I'm indifferent to whether or not you check the source, but I'm sure the tinfoil hat crowd would give you mad props for insuring that their new comfort checkbox actually works and that no new scary info is shared.

No you didn't...that was my take on your *cough*, as it was rather open for interpretation,

swhitmore

Mod note:

Guys, I've unfortunately already had to remove posts here that solely contain personal attacks to other members. Lets keep this civil please. Remember that other people are not going to always have the same opinion as you, and while it's perfectly fine to debate the issue, it's not ok to personally attack members for having those views.

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 3

pir8radio

Boy that got a bit carried away...   It's not like emby is collecting SSN's...   No secret info..   Heck we all spew more info in forums and online than emby collects, I bet they collect more info from you browsing the forums than the emby server sends home...    Marcus has all kinds of info already out there...    ;)    X0879   Just like the rest of us.   Its 2016 there is only an illusion of privacy. So you have all of my info... I have insurance...  Guns, and a firewall that I hope I setup well... It's all you can do..  lol... 

I will continue to let emby collect my info...

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 1