Live TV won't start

randombetrayal

randombetrayal

I am running the server on window home server 2011.  I can view live TV in chrome on the server, though it is not as good a quality as the xbox 360 produces on the same channels.

I attempt to start live tv on the fire gen 1 & 2, and I get a never ending blue spinning circle.  It takes a long time to load live TV in chrome on the server so I let it run for 5 minutes or more on the fire, but the circle never ends.

I attempted to start live TV on the iphone and get the same spinning circle.

Both tuners show as available on the server.  They are HD homerun HDHR4-2US.   I have enable and  disabled direct stream and it did not change things.  I did not download a guide service as I only get the local over the air channels and don't really need it.  

I would be happy to attach a log, but can't seem to find it to attach.

everything else about the program is working great,  I am sorry I waited so long to retire the xbox 360 in the living room.  don't have to turn the tv all the way up to drown out the noise from it any more has been so nice :)

thanks for any help you can point me too.

Something is definitely amiss as, if you are using our internal service for TV, channels should start up within a couple seconds.

I think this is probably an issue at either the server or live tv configuration end so I guess let's start with a server log from when you try to play one of these channels.  If a transcoding log is created at the same time, please post that as well.

randombetrayal

I am using Emby TV plugin.

I am looking all around the server dashboard and am not seeing where I can grab a log to send you. Please pardon my newbness...

There are lots of errors in that transcode log and I think they are causing the FPS to drop way down (12-14) which would be a problem.

But, I'm not sure why they are transcoding.  Did you uncheck the option to "Direct Stream Live TV"?

randombetrayal

No ideas?  

Do you need anything else to help diagnose this?

I would like to retire the xbox 360 for good and upgrade the computer to windows 10 if I can get this working to replace media center.

to be honest the chrome log you posted in post #8 looks ok to me, so at the moment i'm not sure what the issue is. we did post a new release today so perhaps you could try that.

randombetrayal

I updated the server.  

The chrome live stream on the server functions the same.  Very slow to start the channel and the quality is very choppy, missing more frames then getting.

The live stream to the fire still just spins and never starts the channel.

Hi, are you sure that one came from the fire? it appears to have come from chrome .I can see why it wouldn't perform well in chrome as you're only getting a transcoding speed of 8fps (you need 24 for it to be playable).

randombetrayal

I just grabbed the most recent transcode log in the file.  I had fired up both a live stream in chrome and stopped it and then a live stream on the fire.

Is there a log location separate for the fire tv I need to send?

And  you are correct the live stream is not watchable on the chrome, but at least it connects.  the fire never connects and just sits, spinning a blue circle endlessly.

I don't understand why not.  the xbox 360 streams it fine over the same network.  It is not perfect but very watchable.

I have unchecked the direct stream box on the firetv.

What happens if you re-check that box?

randombetrayal

i have sent the logs from within the fire tv app.  I can't see where any other logs are for the fire tv.

Lets take the Fire out of the equation and just work with the web client as, it appears, the issue is at a lower level than the app.

randombetrayal

Agreed, is there anything you would like me to try in toggling settings or send another log?

• 2 weeks later...
randombetrayal

The web interface is unchanged, It is un-watchable.  It takes over a minute before any channel actually loads.  The quality is so bad you can't watch it, frame rates is single digits and pixelated.  This is a channel that is a couple miles away for over the air broadcast that the XBOX 360 had no problems with.  I have attached the latest log after loading another live stream on the web interface of the server.

I have attached screen shots of the settings as they currently are on the server and the latest transcode and server logs.

server-63594092168.txt

transcode-c5f2d111-008c-47f6-b8ee-d1fe0ba3f6eb.txt

post-116426-0-95172300-1458510549_thumb.png

post-116426-0-83674900-1458510551_thumb.png

Browser playback is going to require transcoding and it looks like your system is just not powerful enough for that. You're going to want to focus your playback on apps that can direct play the live TV feed, like the windows version of emby theater for example.

randombetrayal

Browser playback is going to require transcoding and it looks like your system is just not powerful enough for that. You're going to want to focus your playback on apps that can direct play the live TV feed, like the windows version of emby theater for example.

I can't believe this is the problem.  The server has an i5 processor and 8 gigs of ram.  The computer I would download theater too would only have a newer version of the i5.  How are people streaming live TV to their Amazon fire with only pentiums? there has got to be something else bottlenecking it.