Emby not transcoding/playing certain files

Ponyo

Hi there,

I'm new to emby and just bought the android app to do some testing before I buy a new htpc.

Now some of my files aren't playing. I'm not sure if this is something caused by the android app or the server itself but I'm leaning towards the latter.

So far I've found three files that aren't playing.

1. 1080p mkv, DTS-HD audio and a extra audio track.

2. 1080p mkv DTS-HD audio one track

3. Straight makemkv rip from dvd. mkv, Japenese/English subtitles

Note: Other 1080p mkv DTS-HD audio files don't have this issue.

When I open these files nothing happens. The server says its transcoding but the timeline on the app stays at 00:00. It doesn't matter what quality or audio track I select. If I select a a external player like MX player the file is playing fine. Some transcoding is happening I think because the is no option to pick subs so it gets shown with whatever is default in the file.

Now if I open a file that does work and set the quality to 1080p/60mbps so that it's direct streaming and I then open one of the above files it works. In case of the first two files I can even change the quality settings (though this will break things stopping the file playing and then trying to open it again with the lower, non direct playing quality) but the mkv dvd rip will only when direct playing. Changing the quality settings while playing will just stop the file playing altogether.

Looks like somewhere the transcoding doesn't like playing nice with certain files. Sometimes ffmpeg.exe staying active, eating up a lot of cpu time after trying to play one of those files and exiting the app (in some cases I also need to force stop the android app because its playing audio even outside of the app of the makemkv file).