Question about shared metadata folder

haeffnkr

haeffnkr

Hello,

I am missing half of the movie posters for some of my movies in my movie libraries.

Anyone else see this?

https://goo.gl/photos/T6Ffhmr3e4yo9pVP6

When I mouse over the poster is pops up like expected.

https://goo.gl/photos/UgKxWXscf6rKumrk7

More posters missing

https://goo.gl/photos/YZECCW6A5VLydzTr9

thanks for the help 

haeffnkr

Tharnax

Hello,

I am missing half of the movie posters for some of my movies in my movie libraries.

Yes, I'm seeing it too!  I've spent about a hour or so manually refreshing each individual movie to have the poster image come back but I've given up, came here and saw this post.  Glad I'm not the only one.

56ce7ac9a1478_EMBY.jpg

Tharnax

Here's another section of movies.  I have over 1800 movies and recently the majority of them no longer have a poster.  Any thoughts how to fix this?

56ce7b8e37416_EMBY2.jpg

Here's another section of movies.  I have over 1800 movies and recently the majority of them no longer have a poster.  Any thoughts how to fix this?

56ce7b8e37416_EMBY2.jpg

do you store metadata in media folders? can you do a quick test and uninstall cover art? thanks.

Tharnax

Wow, you guys are always working on this aren't you?  Thanks Luke, sorry for my delay getting back to you.

No - Metadata is not stored in media folders.  This is done on purpose as I sync this folders using Bitsync with two other of my own servers and all three run their own EMBY server.  Having the metadata inside the folder was really messing with the sync process and as a result downstream EMBY as Bitsync syncs the metadata if it's in the media folder.  This had been working consistently until recently.

Done, unfortunately it made no difference.

56cf2f2a65c2e_Embynocoverart.jpg

Happy2Play

@@Luke, Wouldn't each server have a different item id for each movie (I know my servers at different location do for the same media)?  Wouldn't you have to sync databases also to maintain item ids?

Tharnax

@@Happy2Play - I'm not concerned about keeping EMBY profiles in sync between the servers, although that would be nice.  Not sure if that is what you are referring too.  

Also, just throwing it out there, the other servers are only receivers of the media and are having no issues with displaying the posters. 

Also @@Happy2Play - I notice in your signature you use WHS 2011 as well.  Do you keep your metadata in the media folder or separately?  If separately do you keep it in your storage pool or on your Boot Device?

Tharnax

Are you syncing the Emby folders or just the media folders containing you video files?

As far as I'm aware EMBY Folders (i.e. ..ServerFolders\Videos\Movies) as opposed to (..ServerFolders\Videos\Movies\300)

ok so you're sharing the folder across multiple servers. try not doing that and see if the issue happens again.

Happy2Play

I maintain all my metadata in media folder, one time download. 

No - Metadata is not stored in media folders

With your way you end up downloading metadata three times, one for each server.

As far as I'm aware EMBY Folders (i.e. ..ServerFolders\Videos\Movies) as opposed to (..ServerFolders\Videos\Movies\300)

Are you saying you are syncing your media to three servers or are three servers pointed to the same share?

Edited by Happy2Play

Tharnax

ok so you're sharing the folder across multiple servers. try not doing that and see if the issue happens again.

I'm sharing the root folder for all media across multiple servers.  There is one main server where I manage all the media.  The other servers are just recipients (Read only).  The metadata folder is not shared.  I've been running this setup for almost two years now with no issues.  Only very recently has the posters disappeared and requires me to manually refresh each movie for the poster to reappear.  I just need to know how to fix this on mass, I'd rather not have to manually refresh 1800+ movies.  I've have already done a few hundred or so, so what's another 1500"ish".

With your way you end up downloading metadata three times, one for each server.

You have a very good point.  I've just always let EMBY manage metadata for all the servers independently.  I had not considered using metadata in the media folders on just the main server and have that server distribute the metadata as well as the related media files.

I'm guessing to take that approach I'd have to re-download all the metadata for all my media and then "fix" the other servers so they don't source the metadata online?  Is that possible?

Are you saying you are syncing your media to three servers or are three servers pointed to the same share?

Three independent servers in three completely separate physical locations.  I don't want to transcode media in two locations so they have their own server with their own EMBY devices connected to it.

Essentially I've created my own "Cloud", except in regards to media where the data is managed on only one server and is transmitted only downstream.  For example, if photos are added to one of the "downstream" servers "Pictures" EMBY folder, those photos are not distributed to the other servers.

Happy2Play

It sounds like what I said earlier, each server has a different item id you can verify by opening the same movie in each server to see the id.

example two different servers.

56cf5b6417277_id.jpg

The only way to have the same ids I think would be to have the same\sync library.db and metadata\library since not saving with media. 

But if you changed to save with media you would have to refresh your entire library.  The your other two servers would just read the metadata with media.  And you are still only managing metadata on one server

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

@@Luke, each server would create a different id during library scan correct, even if all the servers are looking at the same media?

Tharnax

It sounds like what I said earlier, each server has a different item id you can verify by opening the same movie in each server to see the id.

example two different servers.

56cf5b6417277_id.jpg

Yes, this  ^^^^^^

The only way to have the same ids I think would be to have the same\sync library.db and metadata\library since not saving with media. 

Do you think that is possible and would work to keep all servers in sync with the same media id?

But if you changed to save with media you would have to refresh your entire library.  The your other two servers would just read the metadata with media.  And you are still only managing metadata on one server

It's a very large library, so I think it would require large downtime as I'd have to modify how each of the "slave" servers update their metadata and wipe out what is there.  Then wipe out the metadata on the "Master" server and re-download the metadata for each sync folder.

I guess one question I would have is if, for example, I don't sync Music, Photos and Home Videos from the master to the slave servers, would that impact the library.db if I were to sync it?

have you set a custom metadata location for each server?

Yes, each server has it's own custom metadata location, although technically I've put them essentially in the same folder structure as it was easy to manually update the configuration from one server to the next using remote desktop.  

each server would create a different id during library scan correct, even if all the servers are looking at the same media?

I checked on movie across all servers and they all have unique ids as your screen shot above displays.

@@Luke / @@Happy2Play - I'd be happy to sync metadata myself across all servers from one "Master" to "Slaves", however, just something to keep in mind that the library's between servers are not identical.  Movies, Collections, 3D libraries are likely identical, however, TV Series, Photos, Home Movies, Music, etc., are unique.

Koleckai Silvestri

No - Metadata is not stored in media folders.  This is done on purpose as I sync this folders using Bitsync with two other of my own servers and all three run their own EMBY server.  Having the metadata inside the folder was really messing with the sync process and as a result downstream EMBY as Bitsync syncs the metadata if it's in the media folder.  This had been working consistently until recently.

In my experience, it is better to have the metadata stored with the media and then set only one server to write to that metadata. Used to have all sorts of problems when I had multiple servers until I made sure to store all the metadata with the media.

Tharnax

In my experience, it is better to have the metadata stored with the media and then set only one server to write to that metadata. Used to have all sorts of problems when I had multiple servers until I made sure to store all the metadata with the media.

Interesting, I had the opposite problem.  I originally had all the metadata stored within the media but it cause BitSync to go haywire and the slaves to have significant metadata issues.  Moving the process bitsync only handling the media distribution and allowing each server to handle it's own metadata retrieval has been working flawlessly since I implemented it.  

Personally I don't believe this setup (Master/Slaves) is the cause of my issues as only one server is experiencing the noted issue.  I'm more wondering now if my drive bender pool went offline at somepoint and the metadata folder which is stored in the drivepool "messed up" EMBY.  Manual and individual "Refresh" is fixing every single movie, but it is very time consuming.  I think I just need a mass "Refresh" button for my movies folder.  I'd even prefer it if I could choose Refresh from the main Movies/movies page.  It seems all the other options are there except that one so I need to go into the actual movie to be able to manual select Refresh.

Happy2Play

With the servers not being identical I don't think you can sync the db or metadata do to each server may already be using item ids for something else.

Since you are only share a library between servers, the other two servers have "Download artwork and metadata from the internet" enabled correct?

Tharnax

Since you are only share a library between servers, the other two servers have "Download artwork and metadata from the internet" enabled correct?

Correct