MySQL Support

dcrdev
Abobader
Message added by Abobader,

Last warning: Attacking other members & team will cause a ban for your account.

syadnom

I'm looking for a request for 'clustering' but a central database and/or replication is a fundamental part of that so I'll post some here.

Adding SQL support would allow for a single central MySQL database OR a replicated database allow for a big pre-requisite for an Emby cluster.

As far as complexity, it's not a big increase in complexity.  Mysql installs silently perfectly well, barely any more effort that using sqlite.

so

+1

• Like 1

sfatula

Replicated of course is more complex for the typical user, it's more of just a side benefit for those with larger systems or who want a cluster of some sort. Also, good for reporting, backups, and many other things you can do with it. It just solves so many issues. Of course, it's likely a large effort as well. Depends how they implement it. They could go for better referential integrity with some foreign keys, or not for example. But no comparison on speed and capability.

• 2 months later...

+1

please. my emby setup is so slow loading the library screens. I am counting on a real database to get this fixed.

16 vCPUs and unlimited RAM for the Windows VM emby is running in. Still slow and not using nearly any RAM.

byakuya32

Media servers run bad as vm's run it on the bare metal it will run als9t better also store the database on an ssd. They are using sqllite by the way

AxelAxel3

Media servers run bad as vm's run it on the bare metal it will run als9t better also store the database on an ssd. They are using sqllite by the way

I run mine in esxi. It use to run super slow, but it crashed and I had to rebuild it from scratch. Still in esxi and it runs super fast, so bare metal has nothing to do with it. SSDs would help, but that you don't get to choose where the sqlite files are located that I am aware of and may not want to consume precious SSD space in a esxi environment with Windows OS files.

I think the main reason it ran slow was because I had so many shows and episodes in it I recorded that the sqlite couldn't handle it. I didn't put those shows back in.. but if it a true Microsoft SQL server behind it...

Edited by Darkstyrm
  • Like 1

but that you don't get to choose where the sqlite files are located that I am aware of 

You can install the portable server version where ever you wish so, yes, you can control this.

Dibbes

I run mine in esxi. It use to run super slow, but it crashed and I had to rebuild it from scratch. Still in esxi and it runs super fast, so bare metal has nothing to do with it. SSDs would help, but that you don't get to choose where the sqlite files are located that I am aware of and may not want to consume precious SSD space in a esxi environment with Windows OS files.

I think the main reason it ran slow was because I had so many shows and episodes in it I recorded that the sqlite couldn't handle it. I didn't put those shows back in.. but if it a true Microsoft SQL server behind it...

I know. Would run so much better on Microsoft Sql. I think the reason they don't is the wide variety of platforms.

I don't really care if it's MSSQL, MySQL or anything else that has a proper cache function and is not choking when the database reaches a a few gigs... Did some testing earlier today with one of the new plugins and it turns out queries take 4 or more seconds to return, this when the server was as good as idle... 

Edited by Dibbes
  • Like 1

AxelAxel3

I'm glad to see it wasn't just me. Before I had to rebuild my environment, I had thousands of episodes recorded off the DVR. A search took literally 30 seconds to perform. Every click took 10-15 seconds to do. So I'm trying to limit what I record, even though I have the space for it. I tried taking off all plugins, nothing.

I wish I would have knew about that plugin though so I could have had solid evidence that is what it was.

Now that I have rebuilt it and it's running smooth, I'm trying to convince the wife to start using it again because its working way better. But it's been such a rough experience not sure if I can ever get her to use it much anymore.

So yeah, I really wish it supported Microsoft sql too.

Dibbes

I'm glad to see it wasn't just me. Before I had to rebuild my environment, I had thousands of episodes recorded off the DVR. A search took literally 30 seconds to perform. Every click took 10-15 seconds to do. So I'm trying to limit what I record, even though I have the space for it. I tried taking off all plugins, nothing.

I wish I would have knew about that plugin though so I could have had solid evidence that is what it was.

Now that I have rebuilt it and it's running smooth, I'm trying to convince the wife to start using it again because its working way better. But it's been such a rough experience not sure if I can ever get her to use it much anymore.

So yeah, I really wish it supported Microsoft sql too.

it was some testing with one of the new plugins, the LiveTV plugin in this case which is still in beta. It didn't exist until about a month ago...

Hi,

I would say VM or not VM does not really matter. Everything else in the VM seems too run fine. Also a Plex media server I just installed for comparison.

I am running the whole VM on a SSD Raid-5, so it should be fast enough. Library files are stored on C: (system disk).

Library.db is around 1,3GB big.

And my huge problem is, from time to time, requests to show the movies library (mostly the big JSON response) take as long as 1 min to complete for one page.

Also users watching a movie at the same time are sometimes kicked out of their stream.

So any help would be appreciated if we have to stick to SQlite.

Best regards

And your point is??? I didn't see acid say he had done that so thought maybe he would get benefit. 

He's just trying to help since some may find it easier to use the built-in function.

sfatula

He's just trying to help since some may find it easier to use the built-in function.

I see, though, that's in the last post (and now first) of the link I gave. I just wanted to provide some background so pointed to that thread.

And your point is??? I didn't see acid say he had done that so thought maybe he would get benefit. 

Hi guys, yes thanks for the tips.

I already did this a while ago and now again today. Without much of a performance increase so far.

Waiting for around 60secs to get an answer form the system is still not really acceptable for a user.

Best regards

• 3 months later...
kingy444

any sort of ETA on a different backend system ? been holding out for this one for a few years now, and it would go a long way to enabling highly available setups aswell.

any sort of ETA on a different backend system ? been holding out for this one for a few years now, and it would go a long way to enabling highly available setups aswell.

No ETA, sorry. It's something we're interested in but our focus remains on media presentation and playback right now.

• 6 months later...
AxelAxel3

Just to add to this, if anyone is trying to accomplish querying the sqlite file from SQL server, I did find this method where you install a sqlite ODBC driver and add it as a linked SQL server. But, you would still have to shut down Emby copy the .db file to the sql server over, then query against it. Apparently trying to access it from multiple applications (Emby and SQL at the same time), it will likely cause corruption

It doesn't help me much because I still can't do what I want with it, but thought I would share it for anyone who needs this. Still waiting on that feature to be implemented for me :)

• 1 month later...
CyberPoison

I also upvote this feature, since up scale pods on kubernetes is not possible because of the SQLite Limitation, @Luke is this feature in your scope for the next year ? 
This feature have 30 likes now, how much likes you consider it to be needed to implemented ?

• 1 month later...

Came here to show my support for this very basic concept that Emby is purposefully avoiding (it seems so that they can monetize this in the future according to my thread that was immediately locked). 

Please consider adding this in order to retain users. It seems like a no brainer when a container image of software is available that people may want to use it in an HA (k8s) manner.

pir8radio
38 minutes ago, rsvg said:

Came here to show my support for this very basic concept that Emby is purposefully avoiding (it seems so that they can monetize this in the future according to my thread that was immediately locked). 

Please consider adding this in order to retain users. It seems like a no brainer when a container image of software is available that people may want to use it in an HA (k8s) manner.

I'm just an emby user too, but I don't think it has gained much traction due to emby being geared toward home users at this time..  HA and clusters are generally being requested by people running servers for profit, Not saying that is your reasoning, just that I get the impression they don't want to be tied to those kind of setups at this time...  I don't think emby as a company/group is setup or ready to deal with the publicity (good and bad) that comes with those kind of customers.    By that logic based on their current customer base and potential for lost users, I don't think its high on their list, and they wont loose many customers by having it low on their list at this time.  Again, just personal observations...    I would like a standard database as well, just to note lol.

Edited by pir8radio

Yeah, I don't run my servers for profit. I thought the homelab market was a significant percentage of emby's users tbh. And I do see a significant number of homelab users moving to orchestration. Oh well, I'll look into other solutions. Thanks.