FreeBSD and Plugin .Net Architecture

chef

Hi emby team!

Recently I seem to have come across some issues with my plugin. It has brought up some questions regarding FreeBSD and Mono.

I read this article here, which explains how Mono is able to run mscorlib and the .net Architecture. 

http://www.infoq.com/news/2015/05/net-CoreCLR-FreeBSD

I believe this how emby is able to run .net core plugins in Mono.

Recently, after reading through emby logs I have realized that there are some dependencies which were contained on my plugin

(such as "Microsoft.VisualBasic" Namespace... I wrote the damned thing in VB.Net) which couldn't be run in Mono.

After reworking my code to depend solely on the "System" Namespace and removing "Microsoft.VisualBasic" references, all errors which were thrown in a Mono environment regarding VisualBasic disappeared.

However, other Dependencies ,which are nameless in the emby logs, are now throwing errors and stopping the plugin from loading in Mono.

So, does anyone have any input for me regarding libraries which are safe to use in my plugin?

Any articles to direct me too?

or will this be a bunch of trial and error to get the results I'm after?

Thanks so much!

Edited by chef

Well here is a list of mscorlib Assemblies:

http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/~alphafiv/Full+list+of+preloaded+.NET+Classes+V11

I suppose I'll have to go through my plugin and make sure that any reference matches what is here in this list, and hope that the FreeBSD mscorlib also has the assemblies.

Strangely, this list of mscorelib doesn't contain "System.Net" which is one of the references I use in my plugin, and maybe the cause of my problems.

Edited by chef