Faster loading of rows when using paginated loader

speechles

@@Luke

This is one for you. This is a strange one. Maybe we need scully and mulder since they recently came out of retirement? ;)

url = url + "/Users/" + HttpEncode(getGlobalVar("user").Id) + "/Items?recursive=true"

if filterBy = 1

query.AddReplace("Filters", "IsUnPlayed")

else if filterBy = 2

query.AddReplace("Filters", "IsPlayed")

end if

if sortBy = 1

query.AddReplace("SortBy", "DateCreated,SortName")

else if sortBy = 2

query.AddReplace("SortBy", "DatePlayed,SortName")

else if sortBy = 3

query.AddReplace("SortBy", "PremiereDate,SortName")

else

query.AddReplace("SortBy", "SortName")

end if

if sortOrder = 1

query.AddReplace("SortOrder", "Descending")

end if

query.AddReplace("IncludeItemTypes", "Movie")

query.AddReplace("Fields", "Overview")

query.AddReplace("ParentId", m.parentId)

Here is the movie fetch for row 0. This one makes the movie screen load quickly. There is no real issue as long as the "screen.recreateOnActivate = false" which it isn't on your version of the app. So remove that line, or make it false and now the movie screen loader works as it should, very quickly.

Now the tv screen though has something completely different.

if row = 0

' Tv genres

url = url + "/Users/" + HttpEncode(getGlobalVar("user").Id) + "/Items?recursive=true"

query.AddReplace("IncludeItemTypes", "Series")

query.AddReplace("fields", "Overview")

query.AddReplace("ParentId", m.parentId)

query.AddReplace("ImageTypeLimit", "1")

if filterBy = 1

query.AddReplace("SeriesStatus", "Continuing")

else if filterBy = 2

query.AddReplace("SeriesStatus", "Ended")

else if filterBy = 3

query.AddReplace("Filters", "IsPlayed")

else if filterBy = 4

query.AddReplace("Filters", "IsUnPlayed")

end if

if sortBy = 1

query.AddReplace("SortBy", "DateCreated,SortName")

else if sortBy = 2

query.AddReplace("SortBy", "PremiereDate,SortName")

else

query.AddReplace("SortBy", "SortName")

end if

if sortOrder = 1

query.AddReplace("SortOrder", "Descending")

end if

Okay, now the filter and sort is afterwards in the query. This is what breaks the TV screen and slows it down until the entire query is completed. Moving it so filters and the sort are done first, and putting the rest after like the movie screen fixes the issue. The TV screen will now load fast. This is odd behavior isnt it?

When using filters and sorts with the API these should always be first in the query terms? It appears so. Do other apps suffer this same behavior when populating their rows/grids? They must..

Edit: credit @@BAS for being the one who asked about this which got me to investigate. Asking questions is a good thing.

Edited by speechles

A tag of me in a post, is it like 2 years ago...  :P I hope this can be resolved, as I really think this one fix will breath fresh life into the Roku client.

Sorry, good investigation but query.AddReplace is only responsible for building the query string that is then used for the request url to download the items. the order they appear in the url isn't going to matter.

Okay, now the filter and sort is afterwards in the query. This is what breaks the TV screen and slows it down until the entire query is completed. Moving it so filters and the sort are done first, and putting the rest after like the movie screen fixes the issue. The TV screen will now load fast. This is odd behavior isnt it?

the order they appear in the url isn't going to matter.

to me it sounds like he might have tried this on his own roku and it fixed my issue, the issue being that all of my users basically never click library as the load time is just horrendous, especially if you have a massive library, and forget it if you enter library and then move left on the top row, the client will not respond to any commands really besides directional navigation until it all loads in. Which is a shame cause I think there is plenty of potential to show other things, especially networks/studio as an option on the tv side.

Also not to sound rude, but I did try this on the competitor's product with my massive library awhile back with their old client before their redesign, their old client had overkill on rows of filters/sorts imo but the library entry did load almost instantly.

Edited by BAS

@@BAS

Have you tried the blue neon app yet? I updated it with proof. Now load the TV library screen and how quick is it? Now load up the official app and how quick is it? There is a difference with a large library. A night and day difference isnt there? You should notice it and immediately get happy. Please reply back here or the other thread so we can get this in the official app too. Thanks. :)

Edit: When you do lets investigate adding your network/studio rows to tv/movie screens too.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

@@BAS

Have you tried the blue neon app yet? I updated it with proof. Now load the TV library screen and how quick is it? Now load up the official app and how quick is it? There is a difference with a large library. A night and day difference isnt there? You should notice it and immediately get happy. Please reply back here or the other thread so we can get this in the official app too. Thanks. :)

Edit: When you do lets investigate adding your network/studio rows to tv/movie screens too.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24151-theme-blue-neon-night/?p=293576

Sorry, good investigation but query.AddReplace is only responsible for building the query string that is then used for the request url to download the items. the order they appear in the url isn't going to matter.

@@Luke

But it does matter. Here are the changes to speed up the TV library screen ( https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Roku/pull/134 ). Notice it just changes the order of the query items. Indeed. This is why I said it shouldn't matter, same way you had. But it does. Try this yourself and see. Make 2 roku zips, one changed, and one not then test on your roku. One is quicker. I am not just making up things try it. :)

Edit:

Also get rid of all "screen.recreateOnActivate = true" in the filmography, movie, folder, and channel screens. Otherwise navigation using "back" on the remote triggers this redraw and slows the UI on back navigation. This screen already exists on back. This isnt required to get filters/sort to recreate when changed, this already recreates on change without that.

This is why I hoped the tvscreen.brs would also have the recreateOnActivate but it didnt. This meant something else was slowing down that screen. Then I tried other ways to see why it was slow. Then epiphany came about. It was the query order, and aha. It does affect it. Let me know what you find. Thanks. :)

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Roku/pull/135

This one makes the TV screen have network, day of the week and airtime show where genre normally does. With the TV screen the genre is always empty. Now we can use that area. This makes it look live tv guide with that information showing.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

@@Luke

I found the root cause.

At the level those are, for the top row of tv and movie. You cannot use "Imagetypelimit=1". For some reason if this happens, row0 will lock the entire screen until all of it can be displayed. You were right it wasnt just changing the order. On other views using the "Imagetypelimit=1" it helps to speed it up so its needed there. If you dont use it when you http get the upcoming row you get greeted with an http 400 error.

Look for yourself. Moviescreen.brs doesnt have it. Seems just tvscreen.brs has it on row0 and that causes the issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1