Tablet Advice...

Jasoon

Im looking to get a entree level tablet to use android client on can anyone give me some advice on what type to get...

Im wanting it mainly for reading books on, watching films ether thou MB Client or directly from the tablet...

The ones ive been looking at are the Kindle Fire

http://www.tesco.com/direct/kindle-fire-hd-7-16gb-wifi-2013/157-2058.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=157-2058

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7 Inch 8GB Wi-Fi Tablet

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1098712.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

and the Google Nexus 7 2012 - 16GB

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1079061.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

If anyone can give me any recommendations or advice it would be appreciated

Airbender

Hi

we have Google Nexus 7  at work and i am testing one with MB3 and it is great tablet or pad for anyone like , i personally like apple iPad but i bought Microsoft surface RT for 169.99

and i love it to be honest but if you like android go with Google only as updates comes first to google unit and it works great with google products

Good luck

Is the one I've listed ok the Google Nexus 7 2012??

As for  android ive only got a nabie 2 kids tablet with it on I find it a bit restrictive due to the protection that's build in for kids but other than that its not a bad piece of kit...

I would have got an ipad but I cant warrent the £300+ price tag

Koleckai Silvestri

Kindle Fire is limited to what Amazon makes available. It doesn't have Google Apps or Google Play Market. If you jailbreak it to add these, you lose the capability of streaming from Amazon. However it is a nice entry level device if you have a lot of Amazon content. My two kids each have one to use for University. They can rent books on them as needed for classes.

Haven't played with the Galaxy Tab yet. I think my step-son is getting one from his Grandmother for Yule. I'll have a go with it when I set it up for him. Amazon Instant is not available on Android devices outside the Kindle Fire as far as I am aware. This would be the household's first Android device.

Our other tablets in the house are iPads, though the original model. Probably should think about upgrading one day. Not quite as locked down as the Kindles are and more applications. The iPads integrate well with our PCs and iPhones. Amazon Instant content is also available on them. 

Edited by Wayne Luke

Koleckai Silvestri

Is the one I've listed ok the Google Nexus 7 2012??

The Nexus would give you the best unadulterated Android experience. Costs a little more than the Galaxy Tab 3 at 7 inches though.

gthrift

I have the 2012, and its great.  If you can, spring for the 2013 model.  The screen is absolutely beautiful.  It looks better than the retina screen on my iPad 3.

trusselo

the kindle as stated is very limited unless you hack it, in android terms it called rooting, or obtaining root. Then you can add what ever you want, even custom firmware.  If you go this route its a cheap entry device that you can have *fun* with, but only if you hack it.

the samsung, like all samsung devices, are very well built, good hardware and software. period. samsung makes great android devices.  They are also very easily hackable, AND also very easy to restore to stock, if you have a little too much fun and screw up.  Samsung has in one way or another, released its firmware flashing software, and posts stock factory images on the net.  Very developer friendly. Samsung devices are good, hacked or not.

Running custom software, (ROMS) you are always up-to-date as you want to be and have extra features out the you-know-what, with less crap, pre-installed on the device.

ALL nexus devices get their software updates directly from google and thus get updated to the newest versions of andriod sooner, rather than going from google to samsung to AT&T back to Samsung back to AT&T then to you (in the phone world).  This gets you the latest and greatest faster, without hacking or modding.  If you are going to hack it anyway, there is no benefit to buying a nexus, unless its the price and hardware you want.

it comes down to how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

A little late to the party, but I recommend the Nexus 7 as well. Either the 2012 or 2013 models will work fine, but the 2013 model does have more RAM, faster CPU, rear camera, and better screen. Size is a little different too (a little longer and narrow but the same size screen).

In my experience, both models (I have both) get updates at close to the same time. And as of Android 4.3, you can set restricted user profiles so you can limit access to kids (if applicable) to certain apps you choose, no play store access, and limited settings adjustment. My 2012 Nexus 7 is mostly used by my 5 year old and the restricted profile means she won't do anything bad by accident, or install anything.

I've rooted my 2013 model, but updates tend to un-root it, so re-rooting can be a pain especially given how often the Nexus gets updates. So I just leave it stock now. For a little more eye-candy, install a different launcher (I personally prefer GO Launcher).

Edited by BrianG

• 6 months later...
Starlionblue

A wrinkle here is if you want the tablet to be used by your kids. The Kindle Fire has by far the best parental controls, and this makes it very compelling for me. You can set up how long the kids can use it and so forth. Then again an app like screen time might solve this for other Android tablets. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.screentime&hl=en

WarrenH

Samsung Tab3 8.0 - great screen size yet still very portable, works flawlesly with MB