Really confused about Music Ratings

cw-kid

cw-kid

Hello

I have the beta 1.1.80 Emby add-on running on my test PC and all my albums in Kodi are currently all showing  a 1 star rating. 

I am using the default option of: import music song rating directly from files.

Now I am assuming that most of my albums and the MP3 files do not actually have a rating written in to them for each song.

As MP3TAG which I use, by default does not show a rating column. And I have never in the past attempted to write ratings into the files etc.

I have now added a rating column and in MP3TAG I can now see each tracks rating, most I have looked at so far are all blank. 

In native Kodi / MYSQL my albums are showing various star ratings. In native Kodi its the Universal Album Scraper that gets the album ratings from MusicBrainz and it displays those. 

Questions.

1. In the Emby web GUI there is a "Community Rating" in the albums info page. 

These album ratings appear to be the same as what they are in native Kodi / MYSQL. 

So is the Emby server also getting these community ratings from MusicBrainz ?

56a8d1ea731e8_EmbyRatings1.png

Metadata Manager

56a8d23a6908b_EmbyRatings2.png

2. Why is this album in Kodi with the Emby add-on showing a 1 star rating then and not a 3 star rating ?

Surely Kodi with the Emby add-on should just use / import these existing community ratings for each of the albums ?

56a8d2feea6e3_EmbyRatings3.png

If I look at this particular album in MP3TAG only one track #8 had a rating of 4 actually written in to the files. I must have done this previously at some point using Windows Media Player as I do like that track. 

56a8d57d012cf_EmbyRatings4.png

3. Looking  in the Emby web GUI at the tracks on this album, it does not appear to show the ratings for individual tracks? If I edit this one track and look at it in the Emby metadata manager again I cannot see any field for the star rating. 

If I look at track #8 in Kodi with the Emby add-on it does show 4 stars and the other tracks show no rating. So this is correct at the track level "import music song rating directly from files" seems to have worked in this example.

56a8d5c623c4d_EmbyRatings5.png

But I am confused why Kodi with the Emby add-on is not showing the community ratings at the album level? And instead all albums are showing an album rating of 1

And can you confirm where Emby server gets these community ratings from? Is it also MusicBrainz?

Thanks

cw-kid

More confusion.

If I look at this album on MusicBrainz here. It currently has a Release Group rating of 4 stars. 

Now I scraped this album in to native Kodi a long time ago and in native Kodi its rating is only 3 stars. So the MusicBrainz entry may have had an additional star added to it since. 

Also in the Emby web GUI this album is showing a 3 star rating. 

And in Kodi with the Emby add-on it is showing a 1 star rating, along with all the other albums in the library. 

I did try refreshing this album in the Emby web GUI, but it still has a 3 star rating and did not change to 4 star rating as on the MusicBrainz site.

Likewise I tried refreshing this album in native Kodi and it still has a 3 star rating and did not change to 4 star rating. 

cw-kid

I then as a test in the Emby add-on settings turned on the setting "Allow rating in song files to be updated by Kodi/Emby"

"When you enable this setting (it's off by default now), any changes you make to the rating of a song will be written to the song file itself"

I then closed Kodi and reopened it for good measure. 

In Kodi I then went to this Oasis album and on track #9 I pressed the INFO button and changed the star rating from none to 3 and clicked OK on the dialogue.

Then in MP3TAG I refreshed the album and track #9 file has not been updated with a rating written in to the file and its still blank.

If I then double check and look at this album in Windows Media Player track #9 has no rating. 

So this setting hasn't worked as expected ? 

The user account that Kodi uses, has Modify access to the music folders / files on the WHS server, I just checked it. 

Cheers

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

Oh I can see an album.nfo file in this albums folder on the server, this has been created by Emby server. 

The rating tag is <rating>3</rating>

I then deleted this nfo file. However when just refreshing this album in the Emby metadata manager, again its album rating is still set to 3. 

Likewise for native Kodi / MYSQL its rating was still 3 after just refreshing the existing album entry. 

So not sure why that page on MusicBrainz says a 4 star rating for this album and why they are not picking this up?

I know for sure native Kodi is using MusicBrainz for the rating.

56a8e5261fafb_EmbyRatings6.png

I then removed the "(What's The Story) Morning Glory" folder from the music folder to some where else, to remove it from both the Emby library and the native Kodi / MYSQL library. 

I confirmed the album had been removed from both libraries and I also deleted that album.nfo file again.

I then moved back the "(What's The Story) Morning Glory" folder in to the music folder / artists folder, so both libraries would detect it again as a new album etc. 

And the unexpected result was that now both Emby Server and native Kodi / MYSQL don't show any album rating for this album. 

Looking in the newly created album.nfo file that Emby server creates there is now no <rating> tag present WTF ! 

So does this mean that when Emby server first imported my music library, when I first installed Emby, that it got all its community ratings for the albums from my original native Kodi NFO files, that were created by running the export library routine in native Kodi. 

If I look at the album now in the Emby metadata manager that Community Rating field is now empty. 

So does this mean Emby server is not even scraping in these album ratings from anywhere like MusicBrainz ???

And I am unsure why in native Kodi the Universal Album Scraper didn't pick up an album rating that should have worked OK, I think this is broken. 

All this really isn't working as I expected.  :huh:

So in conclusion there appears to be two main issues in this lot.

1. The Emby server doesn't appear to scrape album ratings from the Internet ? 

I suspect the community ratings that were present on some albums in Emby server, were from my native Kodi NFO files originally. 

2. Kodi with the Emby add-on seems to ignore and does not read these community ratings, if they happen to be present for an album in the Emby music library. 

Additionally...

3. Is the "Allow rating in song files to be updated by Kodi/Emby" setting in the add-on actually working?

4. Native Kodi's Universal Album Scraper appears to be now broken for scraping album ratings. 

marcelveldt

So in conclusion there appears to be two main issues in this lot.

1. The Emby server doesn't appear to scrape album ratings from the Internet ? 

I suspect the community ratings that were present on some albums in Emby server, were from my native Kodi NFO files originally. 

2. Kodi with the Emby add-on seems to ignore and does not read these community ratings, if they happen to be present for an album in the Emby music library. 

Additionally...

3. Is the "Allow rating in song files to be updated by Kodi/Emby" setting in the add-on actually working?

4. Native Kodi's Universal Album Scraper appears to be now broken for scraping album ratings. 

1. Currently the Emby server doesn't scrape that info. Not for albums and not for songs. For songs we added a (temporary) solution to read the rating from the file itself untill support is added serverside. For albums this would be a feature request for the Emby server, to scrape the rating from musicbrainz.

2. Hmmm, strange.. I will look into that.

3. It was working when I once tested it. Try to set a song as favourite from the emby webclient while Kodi is opened and after that the song should have 5 stars both in Kodi and in the file. Note that it will not detect a change of rating in Kodi itself. Small workaround is when you use the contectmenu --> set custom song rating.

4. I suggest you to report that on the Kodi forums as we do not use the Kodi music scraper

cw-kid

Hi @@marcelveldt

I can confirm the following observations:

In Kodi when using the Emby Options (Context Menu) feature of "Like This Item" the star rating goes from 1 to 3. And if you Clear the Like the album star rating goes back to 1. Is that the expected behaviour of the Emby Like This Item feature? 

Also if you dislike an album it goes from 1 star to 0 stars. It then seems there is no option to Clear the dislike In this situation you only have an option to Like the album. Seems we need a Clear Dislike option ? 

But Kodi with the Emby add-on did not read any of my albums ratings from the Emby servers "Community Ratings" field. 

A most people using Emby server currently have no community ratings for their album as  Emby currently does not pull these down from musicbrainz, so this feature needs adding. 

But in my case most of my albums did have album ratings showing in the Community Ratings fields, Emby server must have gotten these album ratings from my original native Kodi NFO files when I first imported the music library in to Kod.

Cheers

cw-kid

And I know you do not use the native Universal Album Scraper but I am running two systems at the moment. 

Kodi / MYSQL my main HTPC system around the house 

and

A couple of test PC's running Kodi with the Emby add-on 

Both are looking at the same media content stored on the WHS file server. 

For testing I compare how Kodi with the Emby add-on behaves when compared to native Kodi / MYSQL.  This has meant I could report a lot of issues and bugs to @@Angelblue05 which he has fixed. 

cw-kid

"Try to set a song as favourite from the emby webclient while Kodi is opened and after that the song should have 5 stars both in Kodi and in the file."

OK just tried this now....

When I favourite a song in the Emby web GUI I can then see in Kodi the incremental syncing kicking in.

However when then looking at the same song in Kodi it does not show 5 stars and is still un-rated. 

If I look at the mp3 files in mp3tag there are no ratings written in the mp3 files. 

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

Same thing happens if I favourite an entire album instead of individual songs, in the Emby web GUI I can see the incremental sync kick in but none of the songs on this album show 5 stars in Kodi. 

EDIT: It changes the album rating to 5 but does not change any of the song ratings. 

And no ratings appear to have been written in to the mp3 files in mp3tag. 

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

However if instead in Kodi if I right click an album to bring up the context menu and select Emby options.

If in here I select "Add to Emby Favourites" then it does sync and the album becomes a favourite (Heart goes red) in the Emby web GUI.

But none of the individual songs for this album change to 5 stars they are all still un-rated. 

But at the album level I can see it now does say rating = 5. If I remove it from Emby favourites in Kodi then the albums rating changes from 5 back to 1

And no ratings appear to have been written in to the mp3 files in mp3tag. 

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

So it seems to working at the album level rating and this does change. 

But it does not seem to be working at the song level ratings. 

cw-kid

IGNORE THIS ONE

Just noticed if you favourite a song in the Emby web GUI then the incremental sync starts in Kodi.

However if you close and re-open Kodi say four times, it syncs that particular song each time.

This shouldn't happen, it should only sync it twice, I think.

EDIT: After several more attempts at closing and opening Kodi its stopped syncing that one song now.

Maybe one to look out for? 

And this particular song still doesn't have 5 stars in Kodi and is still un-rated. 

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

Incremental sync goes back 5 minutes...

OK maybe that is normal behaviour then, I thought it only synced the recent changes for a second time as a kinda backup. 

cw-kid

OK so these are my overall findings after messing about with this all day! 

1. The Emby server doesn't appear to scrape album ratings from the Internet ? (Confirmed it does not). 

I suspect the community ratings that were present on most of my albums in Emby server, were from my native Kodi NFO files originally. 

3. Is the "Allow rating in song files to be updated by Kodi/Emby" setting in the add-on actually working? No ratings ever get written in to my MP3 files. 

And now

4. Issues with the incremental sync and ratings at the songs level. For example favourite a song in the Emby web GUI and in Kodi that song should go to 5 stars this does not work. 

5. if you dislike an album in Kodi it goes from 1 star to 0 stars. It then seems there is no option to Clear the dislike In this situation you only have an option to Like the album. Seems we need a Clear Dislike option ? 

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

And I am not brave enough to test the add-on in this mode: Convert Music Song rating to Emby (likes/favourties)

I am not sure I would switch to this mode and probably won't be testing it, if someone else wants to instead ? 

"When you enable this setting (it's off by default now), the ratings from your music will be converted to emby ratings (=like, dislike,favourite). Also the other way around, if you change the rating in emby (e.g. like a song), this will be updated into Kodi.

The following conversion will apply:

rating 0 = emby dislike

rating 1,2 = emby neutral (no like, favourite or dislike)

rating 3,4 = emby like

rating 5 = emby favourite"

I can't really see how this would work? Where in Kodi would it say Like or Dislike ? Or does it just read the rating tags in your MP3 files and then set them accordingly in the Emby Server web GUI as per the mapping list above. As I don't really have ratings written in to my files I don't think I'd use this at all. 

Edited by cw-kid

marcelveldt

If you enable that option it will actually sync your ratings from emby to Kodi.

So if you like an item in Emby, it will get 5 stars in Kodi.

Reading your posts above I think you want it enabled ;-)

marcelveldt

If you set a rating to an album, the individual songs will NOT change, these are different ratings. Same as TV shows where the show itself can have a rating and individual episodes.

I will look if we can pull the community rating from emby to Kodi for albums but I'm pretty sure I once checked that and it wasn't returned in the api.