Problem with Album Community Ratings?

cw-kid

cw-kid

Hi @@Luke

Does Emby Server pull down from the Internet album ratings ? 

I believe there is a field in the metadata manager called Community Ratings. 

If so which provider are you using? MusicBrainz?

And it currently does not appear to be working, new albums I have added today are not getting any community rating, but looking on the MusicBrainz website there are Release Group ratings for these albums. 

Thanks

56a8d1ea731e8_EmbyRatings1.png

Edited by cw-kid

Deathsquirrel

Looking at my own music library I don't think that data gets populated for music.  There are ratings for albums on Musicbrainz...though looking through them I'm left wondering who on earth is providing the scores in question.

the core music providers are currently not getting them from anywhere. i did not know that music brainz had ratings, so i suppose we could pull those.

cw-kid

Hi Deathsquirrel

So you are saying you don't have any community ratings on your music albums ? 

Cheers

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

The reason I am asking is because I did have these ratings present in Emby for a lot of my albums. 

However I believe this album rating information must have come from my original native Kodi NFO files when I first imported the music in to Emby. 

Especially if you are saying Emby is not currently scrapping these album ratings which appears to be the case. 

There is also problems in Kodi with the Emby add-on as a result and in the current beta every album in the Kodi  music library has a rating of 1 star. 

If you update these community ratings to work I will ask the Kodi devs to ensure they read them in to the Kodi music library etc. 

Long thread here. 

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/30564-really-confused-about-music-ratings/

Thanks

Edited by cw-kid

marcelveldt

the core music providers are currently not getting them from anywhere. i did not know that music brainz had ratings, so i suppose we could pull those.

If you point me a bit in the right direction I can add this in if you'd like.

Been working on a C# music tagger a few months back so have the code pretty much still in memory ;-)

Edited by marcelveldt

Happy2Play

Cheers

None of my albums have community ratings.

cw-kid

None of my albums have community ratings.

That confirms my thoughts then, most of mine did have these community ratings as Emby used the native Kodi created NFO files to import my music library first time round. 

Hopefully they can add these album ratings to be pulled down from Musicbrainz and if the Kodi add-on for Emby is changed a bit, we should then have album ratings for each album in Kodi and in the Emby server obviously. 

I was really confused for a while what was going on, as currently in Kodi with the Emby add-on every single album has a 1 star rating. 

Where as in native Kodi / MYSQL most of the albums have their own rating, scraped from Musicbrainz via the Universal Album Scraper. 

The Emby / Kodi add-on dev's have been adding new features for album and song ratings recently, so was testing it all out today. 

cw-kid

@@Luke

Could it also pull down ratings for the songs ? As well as the album ratings from Musicbrainz.

Oasis - (What’s the Story) Morning Glory?

Album on Musicbrainz here

It then lists various releases from different countries. Not sure how you know which album release to select, but if I click on one from the UK

It then lists all the songs on this album here.

Each song then has it own rating. Some are half stars like track #9 She’s Electric appears to be 3 and a half stars. 

Kodi can only cope with full star ratings 1 to 5 I think. So this might be an issue. 

However the main thing really is to get the album ratings in to the system and then into Kodi. 

And users may prefer to rate the individual songs personally themselves. Just thinking out loud. 

Edited by cw-kid

Deathsquirrel

Hi Deathsquirrel

Cheers

Nope, not a one.  All metadata scraped by Emby.

Looking at the musicbrainze ratings I find their scoring a bit nonsensical really.  No harm in having the info but I can't imagine I'll ever use it.

cw-kid

I'm coming from a native Kodi perspective, and that uses musicbrainz to populate each albums star rating were available. 

And now in Kodi integrated with Emby all of these ratings have gone. Or rather all the albums have been set to having 1 star ratings.

Edited by cw-kid

• 4 years later...
mcoyle76

Oh, I just read your previous post is all "the core music providers are currently not getting them from anywhere. i did not know that music brainz had ratings, so i suppose we could pull those." so i was just wondering. It has an artist rating, and album ratings, not sure if it is the same thing that was being pulled before.

Edited by mcoyle76

mcoyle76

OK, I do not know if each of them ratings, but what about adding last.fm, and disc dogs as plugins, and for lyrics Lyricfind.

• 2 years later...
ShadowKindjal
On 3/31/2020 at 3:55 PM, Luke said:

OK thanks. Problem is I don't see how to get this information with their api. It's not in the xml we're getting back and according to this it sounds like it might require authentication with musicbrainz:

https://musicbrainz.org/doc/Development/XML_Web_Service/Version_2

It might be better to use another source.

If I'm understanding the musicbrainz documentation correctly authentication is only required for pulling user (specific) ratings but general ratings are available without authentication. 

image.thumb.png.5cf99377753953106e5ccbdd7ce451ea.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1