FR-ET respect aspect ratio on dvd & blu ray cover art

Lee

I like my DVD and Blu Rays to look a different size.. As they should in reality, can we have this please? the stretched image looks rubbish.

• Like 1

JoshuaAJones

I would think that that would look horrible.

My AVR up-converts everything to 1080p (my display's setting). It would do 4k, if I had one.

I would think that would look awful in a grid view.  Perhaps address that in themes?

yeah i guess grid view would look awful but i don't use it hence i'd like the option. Emby-WMC does this...

post-299-0-47211200-1453544049_thumb.jpg

I would think that that would look horrible.

My AVR up-converts everything to 1080p (my display's setting). It would do 4k, if I had one.

I'm not sure you're following my request? should look the same at any resolution. See the pic...

This is a tricky thing to do in a lot of display scenarios.

In the example you showed in EMC (looks like maybe Square theme), they are actually shown incorrectly as DVD cases aren't narrower than BD ones.  The BD ones are shorter.

How this displays  in EMC is going to depend on what items happen to be the first few in the particular view you are in because what it does is look at the first few and decide what the size should be based on those.  In your example, you must have mostly BDs at the front of that folder.

Some BD covers (those with the logo and blue surround) get stretched in ET, those without the surround do not. See image; The Fall is shown at original aspect ratio, the Fantasia covers have got stretched.

post-1131-0-06851400-1453567410_thumb.png

Why there should be a difference, I don't know, but I'd prefer to see the original aspect ratio adhered to over stretching...

For posters the target A/R is 2:3 so when something is considered close enough it is stretched in order to encourage a uniform look. That's why the Fall in your screenshot does not stretch, because it's pretty far off so it wouldn't look good.

Deathsquirrel

Perhaps the difference is between people that run with dvd/blu-ray cover scans and those of us that use clean movie posters.  Using scans of the actual dvd case art would drive me batty.  They're all covered with words and graphics that aren't part of the art.  If I did use those scans like Lee and gcoupe I'd probably want the original aspect ratio respected.

@@Luke is this something that could potentially be addressed by a theme or client preference? or does the server automatically normalize the images that are near the 2:3 ratio?

• Like 1

@@Lee, sorry to go off topic... What treatment is that??

Starkcovers!! haha remember laughing at me before?? #oldskool

• Like 1

Starkcovers!! haha remember laughing at me before?? #oldskool

Should be identical to the "case" treatment though - except I think I got rid of the reflection overlay...

• Like 1

Should be identical to the "case" treatment though - except I think I got rid of the reflection overlay...

I had a pretty big issue with an earlier implementation of the case treatment plugin and had to re-do LOTS manually so I've never dared go back TBH... I don't add many films now either so doing them manually isn't an issue.

Regarding the Sizing couldn't a "postercard " view solve this as in the server homescreen display menus??

Xzener

Do you recall the reason it was removed Ebr?? Was it a performance related decision??

Do you recall the reason it was removed Ebr?? Was it a performance related decision??

Partially but also just the fact that all that kind of gloss and 3D stuff is out of style now.

Happy2Play

Partially but also just the fact that all that kind of gloss and 3D stuff is out of style now.

Out of style when someone is using and someone else is asking about it?

• Like 2

Xzener

I agree on the 3D stuff being out of style, which is why I went back to the normal 2D Case. @@ebr, how difficult would it be to add a "Gloss Cover" treatment to the list of available cover styles??

Edited by Xzener

• 2 months later...

@@Luke could respect aspect ratio be added to theater??? as a side note the server doesn't respect them any more as in my screenshot a few posts back but that's how i'd like it!!!

I'm not sure what you mean.

the cover art is stretched to give a uniform look. if you look at my screen grab( post #10) in the web client from a fair few versions ago the dvd and blu ray cover art is sized correctly (tall DVD, wider stumpy Blu Ray)

Edited by Lee