Gamebrowser

Walter

Walter

Yeah, I use the program launcher to launch chrome in kiosk mode and point it to here, https://www.youtube.com/tv#/. That way it behaves like i have a youtube app installed. Set up a quit key via event ghost and no one can tell its not part of theater. 

ChrisSHouston

I'm running into some issues when needing to use command line arguments with some emulators - is there any way to view what the app is actually executing? I can't seem to locate it in the local or server logs.

I'm using the same basic switches that were used under Emby for WMC, with only the {path} flag modified from the old "{rom}" flag.

Example:
Demul (A dreamcast emulator) works fine with the following switches:

-run=dc

image={path}

While ePSXe required the following command line switches under Emby for WMC: -nogui -loadbin "{rom}" (note two spaces between -nogui and -loadbin)

but fails when setup with either

-nogui

-loadbin {path}

OR

-nogui

-loadbin {path}

OR

-nogui  -loadbin {path}

I feel like I'm missing something obvious which would probably be made easier if I were able to see the output. Or if anyone here sees an obvious issue, I'd greatly appreciate the assistance.

Also, I hope there are plans to implement the "Quit Key" command from the old version, as others have requested.

swhitmore

For games with small ROM files (e.g. MAME, NES, SNES), it is possible to leave these files on the Media Server (different PC) and let the emulator grab them from there using Emby Theatre?

If this is fully functional again, it will be worth posting in www.reddit.com/r/emulation those guys are always looking for good front end options. I'll try and make a video once I find time to set my game collection back up again.

Edited by swhitmore

mediacowboy

All my roms are stored on the server and stream to et which is another room.

• Like 1

ChrisSHouston

swhitmore: This is pretty much the nature of the program - It is in fact a hassle to have your ROMs located anywhere that isn't storage mapped by the server (some people have done this for large ISOs where their network speed is slow).

ROMs reside on the Emby Server (which may also happen to be the client machine in some instances). The server grabs the metadata and provides the path to the client when the emulator is launched. So long as the client is able to read the directory on which the ROMs are stored, the client plays them from there.

Note that there isn't a "transcoding" or copying step involved, unlike what is optional with other media playback. If the ROM is stored at Network Location //EmbyServer/Files/ROMs/SomeRom.dat then the client has to be able to read that network location. If the ROM files are on the Emby Server (and not another NAS on the network) You will likely have to setup Path Substitution in your Library settings in order for your clients to read the files, since your server will have a different path to the files than your clients.

swhitmore

swhitmore: This is pretty much the nature of the program - It is in fact a hassle to have your ROMs located anywhere that isn't storage mapped by the server (some people have done this for large ISOs where their network speed is slow).

Hmmm, not really. My previous setup used local locations.

ChrisSHouston

Was your previous setup running server and client on a single machine or were you indexing client shared folders from the server? The design of the program since they fully separated the two parts (around MediaBrowser 2) is for the location of files on the server to be irrelevant to the client - audio and video are transcoded and fed to the client machines, while the server handles metadata work. This separation presents problems for the ROM user, since an emulator needs direct file access by the client.

If you have a file, SuperMario.ROM in a folder C:\Games on a Windows Client, the server doesn't know about it. Sharing C:\Games and letting the server add it as a media folder will solve that problem, since the server will view the folder as \\NetworkShare\Games\SuperMario.ROM. When you attempt to run the emulator on the client machine, you'll be executing a command line string that looks like "Emulator.exe -runfile \\NetworkShare\Games\SuperMario.ROM" which works in most sharing environments (your client PC will happily run its own network share unless you've screwed with the permissions to disable that) but is adding network traffic and is kind of a backwards way of handling the problem if you're trying to solve the problem of a slow network.

In this sense, your previous setup could have used "local" locations, but was in effect calling Network locations that happen to be on your local machine. The other approach to using local locations was, if I recall correctly, adding dummy files (or duplicate copies) on the server and using path substitution to run local files. So SuperBig4GB.iso is on your C: drive, and a 1KB file named SuperBig4GB.iso is in a server folder in a structure identical to your local folder. You then use path substitution to say //EmbyServer/Games/SuperMario/SuperBig4GB.iso is actually located on C:\Games\SuperMario\SuperBig4GB.iso, and you're able to run local files while having the server keep track of the metadata, play status, and the like without actually storing the games there (or you could store the games there if you were interested in keeping a backup).

As it stands, though, running from a local drive that isn't mapped or "mirrored" on the server pretty much isn't something you can do since they separated the two pieces. The server has no way of knowing what's on your local drive without being given the ability to index it.

swhitmore

I'm talking about MB2, which supported local. It's ok, I know how it works ;)

Thank you though.

Edited by swhitmore

• 2 weeks later...
Walter

Ok, I am still having issues loading some files in Gamebrowser. I recently added a new Wii U emulator. support has been added for the .wud files it uses. But the games will not load in the new theater, spinning circle and in the old theater there is no play button. Can someone tell us how the external launcher is sending the data to the emulators so we can track down the issue. I have two other emulators that will not work either. We can only help with bugs if we know what going on. Maybe instead of using gamebrowser, which has been abandoned, just create an external program launcher. That way we can use a program like emulationstation that works.

Ok, I am still having issues loading some files in Gamebrowser. I recently added a new Wii U emulator. support has been added for the .wud files it uses. But the games will not load in the new theater, spinning circle and in the old theater there is no play button. Can someone tell us how the external launcher is sending the data to the emulators so we can track down the issue. I have two other emulators that will not work either. We can only help with bugs if we know what going on. Maybe instead of using gamebrowser, which has been abandoned, just create an external program launcher. That way we can use a program like emulationstation that works.

Hi, it's just a launch via command line, that's really all it is.

Walter

Is there a way to see what is getting sent? Its weird cause it works in the old theater but not the new one.

shaefurr

Thanks @@mediacowboy, but is there more to it than just {path}? like how do I add the path to that. 

My roms with Nintendo 64 for example are on  I:\Games\Roms\N64.

what would the command line argument be  {path=I:\Games\Roms\N64}  ?

Pardon my noobness  :huh:

I'm using Project64 2.1 for my emulator. I'm able to get the emulators to launch, just can't get the games to launch...yet

Just use {path}. I am having the same issue with project64 1.6. It will launch my emulator but days can't load the game. I have used the same path configured for the sever and it works. I believe @@Luke is looking into it, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Pretty sure its just {path},  Also keep in mind with Project 64, the command line changed between 1.6 and 1.7+. For 1.6 or older you would use just path without the brackets. Maybe im wrong its been a while since I used gamebrowser.

mediacowboy

Pretty sure its just {path}, Also keep in mind with Project 64, the command line changed between 1.6 and 1.7+. For 1.6 or older you would use just path without the brackets. Maybe im wrong its been a while since I used gamebrowser.

I just upgraded to the latest and greatest and it started working. I did try the path and {path} with now change but all is good now.

Walter

Changed from {path} to path and still a no go, spinning circle. Still no play button in the old theater also. The logs provide no useful information as to what is happening, that is why I did not post them.

Edited by Walter

shaefurr

Changed from {path} to path and still a no go, spinning circle. Still no play button in the old theater also. The logs provide no useful information as to what is happening, that is why I did not post them.

If you have no play button something isn't setup right, have you followed this guide? http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/16380-gamebrowser-guide/

Video version of it here

[Youtube]

[/Youtube]

shaefurr

what is an example project 64 command line?

P64 has always been a simple path command depending on the launcher.

{rom}

{path}

%rom%

%1%

etc.

For launching from Steam mine uses command=%l %r the %I being the rom path %r just throwing it to fullscreen.

Walter

These are my settings. Nothing launches whether I pick {path], {rom}, or %rom%. Just a spinning circle in the new Theater and no play button in the old one.

57a4b239f27fc_noplay.png57a4b1f700947_settings.png

Edited by Walter

shaefurr

These are my settings. Nothing launches whether I pick {path], {rom}, or %rom%. Just a spinning circle in the new Theater and no play button in the old one.

57a4b239f27fc_noplay.png57a4b1f700947_settings.png

is it just wii u you're having issues with, does you get a play button for n64, snes games etc?

Ive had this issue in the past, I believe removing my games library from the server and readding it fixed it. Its been a while though so not 100% positive that was the fix.

Edited by shaefurr

Walter

Yeah, only problem is with the Wii U emulator. All the other emulators work fine.

shaefurr

Yeah, only problem is with the Wii U emulator. All the other emulators work fine.

in that case, its probably because the game extensions aren't supported and would need to be added. I dunno if anyone is currently maintaining the GB plugin, it used to be Redshirt. @@Luke Do you know if anyones still working on it?

Walter

They added them in on of the latest releases. https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Plugins/pull/115. My problem before was they were detected as folders. Now the plug-in sees them as games but for some reason the new theater won't launch it and the old theater has no play button. I wish there was a way to see what was being sent to the emulator so I could at least troubleshoot it. The logs of both server and theater provide no info so I am just flying blind right now hoping someone else can help.