Emby slow with new items at start

MikeyMan

MikeyMan

Now i've reinstalled all of the emby software. And still it won't refresh at boot. What is up with this? :(

Emby for WMC does refresh from Emby Server when it starts. The question is, does the content show up in the Emby web interface?

MikeyMan

It's More the lack of events :)

Not really sure what you're looking for, but the issue is:

- new content gets downloaded by my Nas

- i boot the htpc which runs Both server and emby for wmc.

- in the olden days, immediately after boot, the New content was shown in emby, but now it doesn't until i update the library manually

check that the server's realtime monitor is enabled under library -> advanced. keep in mind that even with this enabled, it can take a few minutes for new content to appear.

MikeyMan

It is turned on. And Have even tried to wait for a couple of hours. It Just won't update by itself anymore.

MikeyMan

ok, based on your suggestion, i tried te following:

- booted the pc. no update was done, and te scan process wasnt started

- stop/started the service. immediately the scan process began. new items showed up.

seems that at the boot process something goes wrong.

will verify tomorrow, when new content is added.

scan took 2m02. dont know if that is normal. i swear that new content used to show immediately. not two minutes later.

Edited by MikeyMan

Sounds like nothing is going wrong. Are you expecting a library scan go magically begin when the server starts? That only happens if configured to do so in the scan's task schedule.

My example was based on keeping the server running the whole time when adding new content, that's when the real-time monitor will help.

MikeyMan

Now i'm lost.

The whole reason for bringing this up was that in the past, it was working flawlessly:

Started the HTPC (with server and Emby WMC) and new content would show up within seconds. Without any setting or whatsoever.

It was Always the case that the HTPC was shut off except for when i want to view something.

Since some time it started to work differently. If this is by design i don't understand why it worked differently in the past.

That having said; i have already added some schedules in order to try and fix my problem. I've set a schedule on application start, every twelve hours and on wake from sleep. To no avail.

So then perhaps you're just not wanting for that startup scan to complete? Let's just focus on what you see in the arm interface because as soon as that's resolved then EMC will be also

MikeyMan

I'll check that after next boot with new content.

I've tried earlier waiting for hours without touching anything.

Still trying to figure out why in the past, immediately after booting MCE/Emby, the new content would be available, without waiting.

dcook

Why don't you just leave the server on?, seems foolish to be shutting down and starting up all the time.

I can confirm that real time monitoring works when the server is running, as soon as I drop a video file, I get the notification in the systray saying that new content is added.

I have mine doing all kinds of scheduled tasks in the middle of the night when no one is using it, makes backups easier as well.

MikeyMan

I don't Have a server as such. I Have a synology nas and a htpc. Synology package is not there yet.

But that's besides the Point. Again; why would it Have been functioning for a Long Time and suddenly stop working? Why would the real time monitoring function work well if the System doesn't shut Down, but doesn't after boot anymore?

Why would the real time monitoring function work well if the System doesn't shut Down, but doesn't after boot anymore?

Because the real time monitoring can only work if the machine and server application are running at the time the content is added.  That's what real-time monitoring is...

MikeyMan

Since there is No 'trigger' from the file system to emby, there shurely must be some kind of 'comparison mechanism' comparing a new state with an Old State.

There must have been some changes in this process the past year that has broken a much liked feature.

If the conclusion is that the wat it is working makes sense, and there is not going to be a fix, we might as well close this topic.

Kind of making the application obsolete for me though.

To be honest I think it is working perfectly fine based on my post from 820am today. I think it is just a misunderstanding of what you're expecting to happen based on the server being on our off. If you feel that I am wrong which is certainly possible then please follow my instructions several posts ago about performing a test and then supplying the server log.

dcook

So leave your HTPC turned on, and then you can either turn on real time monitoring, or setup scheduled tasks to run every X hours/minutes, or even do a combination of both.

I don't Have a server as such. I Have a synology nas and a htpc. Synology package is not there yet.

But that's besides the Point. Again; why would it Have been functioning for a Long Time and suddenly stop working? Why would the real time monitoring function work well if the System doesn't shut Down, but doesn't after boot anymore?

MikeyMan

Why would i leave my HTPC on when i only use it for a couple of hours? That's not very economical.

Again (and everyone seems to go past this), i've been using MB3/Emby for years now.

The setup has always been (roughly) the same, as well as the way i use it.

Somewhere in 2013 i used my Windows PC as storage, which was always on. MB3 server ánd WMC were installed on my HTPC which i switched on when i wanted to watch something. No issues there, after boot new content immediately turned up.

At the end of 2013, I bought a NAS, so that my energy consuming PC could stay off. Same setup: NAS as storage server and HTPC still with Server and WMC on it. This has been working flawlessly till the end of 2015.

I will copy my logs here tomorrow when i have booted with new content.

edit: you guys must probably think i'm an being an annoying pr*ck about this. But i wouldn't make such a fuss if it hadn't been completely to my liking in the past. Sorry for that...

Edited by MikeyMan

Since there is No 'trigger' from the file system to emby, there shurely must be some kind of 'comparison mechanism' comparing a new state with an Old State.

There is it is the "Scan Media Library" task that Luke mentioned earlier but it doesn't automatically run when the server starts up - unless you tell it to.  And, even then, it takes some amount of time for that task to complete before you will see the new media.

MikeyMan

tis mornings log after boot:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/bd9678d159ed4e3eaa27bea0d57baa8d

altough ive set the media library scan to run at start, it wont.

do see a lot of these:

2016-06-22 22:42:12.8168 Error App: Error in Nfo

have to look into that.

when i stop/start te service it does do the scan.

log after restart:

gist.github.com/anonymous/5aa61fe738f5d7dc0cb481f303aa7989

Edited by MikeyMan

Can you please include the complete log file, rather than cutting a portion of it? Thanks.

We have two issues:

- Scan not running on start, although I believe it is but I am waiting on a log file from you to confirm.

- Realtime monitor not working

And the reason for this is right in your log:

2016-06-23 07:18:26.9635 Error LibraryMonitor: Error in Directory watcher for: \\NAS\Series
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.0.5972.0
	Command line: C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe -service
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
	Processor count: 4
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Program data path: C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server
	Application Path: C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	De opgegeven netwerknaam is niet langer beschikbaar

The library monitor tried to start, but the network paths were not accessible at the time you started the server. When that situation happens, the realtime monitor will require either a server restart or a library scan in order to get started again. It sounds like you started up Emby Server before the network was accessible? I think we're also going to find out that's the reason why you feel the library scan isn't running at startup. It probably is running, but failing to reach the network locations.

Now could we make Emby server more resilient to this and perhaps retry the library monitor a minute later? Yea probably, but as of right now we don't do that.

MikeyMan

Hi Luke, just saw those entries as well. Will try the delayed start for the Emby process and see how that goes.

These logs are the full logs by the way. I copied all entries from today (23-6).