Deleting Devices

PLXS18

This is one of the big upsets about Emby, unlike other plugins you cannot seem to delete a device on a permanent basis as devices seem to connect themselves again once deleted :(. If i am wrong please someone enlighten me. I would love to change all my content over to Emby but until this problem is resolved i shall be keeping all my content where it is. It is such a shame as it is far better than other plugins but this is essential. Hope the developer sorts this everything else is perfect.

What is the actual problem you are having? Suppose we just take away the device list page, then there's no problem right?

At first we thought we were doing something wrong say i connect a friends device ie a Now tv box and 3 months down the line want to delete the device it lets me take it out and disable it but as soon as they power the device back up and click into emby the device auto reconnects to the server which it was deleted from. The device should only be able to reconnect once the pin is activated again, i have read on other forums people having the same problem and there is no answer, so no better place than to ask the question than here.

You are trying to restrict access to only devices you allow?

Have you set up the device access in the User section for the users in question?

StreamEmby

@@PLXS18

I agree as I have also had the same problem. I've been trialing Emby in order to migrate over to Emby from Plex (PMS), it doesn't appear to work in the same sort of way when it comes to devices. The initial, let's say 'Main Account', can't limit device access. So, I created a second user - let's sat 'Test'. I added my brother-in-law's Roku Box and my neighbors Now TV box. Initially connected they connected to the 'Main Account'. So I password protected the account and set it to 'Hidden on Home Screen'. After which, the devices connected to the newly created, 'Test' account. Great! Or so I thought......

My neighbor purchased a Smart TV and installed the App on that and sold their Now TV box to someone else. So I removed their Now TV box from the devices list and added their Smart TV and working perfectly fine! However, this BIG however. The Now TV box he sold - STILL had access to my server. Everytime I remove the device, I got a pop-up stating the device was remove 'Until they next connect'. If I remove a device, I do not want it connected, simple, the same as within Plex.

Such a shame really though as Emby could literally be something that Plex isn't - yet tiny little hiccups that just need developing, integrating and / or ironing out. Still - will donate to help towards the project and hope this really picks up and kicks off!

@@PLXS18

I agree as I have also had the same problem. I've been trialing Emby in order to migrate over to Emby from Plex (PMS), it doesn't appear to work in the same sort of way when it comes to devices. The initial, let's say 'Main Account', can't limit device access. So, I created a second user - let's sat 'Test'. I added my brother-in-law's Roku Box and my neighbors Now TV box. Initially connected they connected to the 'Main Account'. So I password protected the account and set it to 'Hidden on Home Screen'. After which, the devices connected to the newly created, 'Test' account. Great! Or so I thought......

My neighbor purchased a Smart TV and installed the App on that and sold their Now TV box to someone else. So I removed their Now TV box from the devices list and added their Smart TV and working perfectly fine! However, this BIG however. The Now TV box he sold - STILL had access to my server. Everytime I remove the device, I got a pop-up stating the device was remove 'Until they next connect'. If I remove a device, I do not want it connected, simple, the same as within Plex.

Such a shame really though as Emby could literally be something that Plex isn't - yet tiny little hiccups that just need developing, integrating and / or ironing out. Still - will donate to help towards the project and hope this really picks up and kicks off!

We are based more on users than devices. You can go to the user profile for Test and remove access to the Now TV. You also could have changed the test account password and that would have invalidated all existing sessions. There's multiple ways to accomplish what you're looking for. Not all devices can be permanently uniquely identified which is why the device control panel is not the best way to limit access.

By default, we do not restrict access to only specific devices but we do offer the ability to limit users to them.

All externally accessible users should have passwords that you can change and then other people will not be able to access as well.

StreamEmby

You are trying to restrict access to only devices you allow?

Have you set up the device access in the User section for the users in question?

Sorry to hijack the post - but I, myself have tried that. Then the device polls waiting for a connection. Tested on Now TV (Essentially Roku LTE), Roku Streaming Stick, Samsung Smart TV. Even when the device is listed within the 'Access' tab and has the tick to allow access selected, they still poll with the message 'Retrieving' ....... for a very long period of time. The result - either the device locks up and has be be power cycled, or the new PIN screen appears.

Sorry to hijack the post - but I, myself have tried that. Then the device polls waiting for a connection. Tested on Now TV (Essentially Roku LTE), Roku Streaming Stick, Samsung Smart TV. Even when the device is listed within the 'Access' tab and has the tick to allow access selected, they still poll with the message 'Retrieving' ....... for a very long period of time. The result - either the device locks up and has be be power cycled, or the new PIN screen appears.

The way the apps respond to being blocked is something that we can improve, and we will, but in the meantime it does accomplish the goal of blocking.

• 1 year later...

Hi Luke ... not reporting an issue per say but reading the comments before mine I made an observation.While the comments of situations in this thread may indeed have come about sharing with friends who sell their devices it is much more likely that the real question is the one I hinted at --- Hey I run a VOD service how can I easily control devices ( cancel subs when they quit paying )....... so lets assume that I am asking this question how does a VOD supplier use Emby to replace Plex ? I have a thousands subs that come and go by the day I want to give 24 hour trials and so forth but I want to be paid and I do not want any of my subs to be able to in any way share -- were you this VOD guy Luke how would you set it up so you would have minimum effort to do this -- I believe that is the question the previous posters were getting at

Jdiesel

I don't believe Emby was ever designed to be used a VOD service with paid subscriptions but instead to take your media on the go and share it with your family at zero charge.

Edited by Jdiesel

The easiest way to handle the situation is to have unique emby users. When you delete an emby user, all of their previously saved access is revoked.

Does this help?

it does and I agree with Jdeisel as to the WHY of Emby's creation .... but if you were to add me as a unique user -- lets say knuckle ( me) has an account (like I do) and I begin adding folk by pin connection don't they get access to everything you share with me and would you know it was knuckle doing it ... I imagine you would see the devices on your server but if you added say 100 unique users could you tell who is sharing the goodies?

Now to qualify my questioning --- I am a member of plex share groups many of the members do Share4Share and a small number do Shre4Free which is cool but lately we have found that certain members will join our share community then they will sell connections by pin which is a slap in the face to those sharing with them.Plex offers a way so that if I share with Tom,Fred and Tony that if they share my content with others it will red flag them but this does not work if say Tom pin connects 10 people -- I have no idea what he does by that method ... with Emby ( whose speed,guide and video quality) surpasses plex as it stands now some how change this --- Thanks to Luke,Jdiesel and any one else who may respond

I think the biggest improvement that emby can make is to give the server more control over connections especially those by pin to where once a connection is removed server side another pin would need to be generated before the device could reconnect other than that I am very very impressed with emby and am thinking strongly about migrating and getting my share buddies to migrate over from plex 

Jdiesel

I just had a change to try Plex's "Friend" library sharing and now I understand what you mean. Emby definitely has more potential in this area. Some of the limitations Emby has in this regard right now are:

1) Emby can not block/whitelist devices that are browser based. Meaning that even if you only whitelist certain devices that user can still always connect through a web browser. If I recall correctly this is due to how unique device ID's are associate.

2) Emby does not have the ability to limit the number of simultaneous connections per user. This would go a long way in preventing users from sharing accounts.

3)Finally having the ability to set bandwidth limits per user/device from the server end would help server admin's manage overall bandwidth. This has been discussed already and will hopefully be available in the future. 

Maybe I am missing something but to me it makes the most sense to limit the users by number of simulations connections and bandwidth rather than by unique devices. As long as there is a proper Logoff implementation there should be no issue selling or moving from device to device while worrying about account being associated to that device.

If some of these limitations are addressed I could easily see Emby become the preferred software for these types of services.

Edited by Jdiesel