Internal Chromecast, What's the deal?

jamvids

jamvids

My Sony Android TV has a built in CC, I tried it out mainly to see if it passed through DD, unfortunately it didn't, while I was playing I swapped audio to the 2 channel which worked okay, but it had launched multiple instances of ffmpeg on the server which I had to force close. 

I repeated the test on my old V1 CC and everything worked really well. 

Should I power cycle my TV?

Is an internal CC the same as it's off the shelf counterpart? There is no info out there on this subject.

This isn't a massive issue as I am using Emby on Android TV but would be a nice to have for speed rather than having to log in to Emby every time.

jamvids

Wierd, media apps find it okay, the CC app doesn't find it and I tried to cast a game and there was no icon for that either, will try a power cycle of the TV

rarefc3s

Devices with Google Cast embedded on them don't appear as "Chromecast" in the Google Chromecast App. My Nvidia Shield does not show up in the Chromecast App and I can not cast WatchESPN to it. Most my other apps seem to work though. There is a fix for this for the Nvidia Shield which requires rooting the device and changing some line of code. I have no idea if you can root an Android TV but I am guessing you can. Once that is done the device shows up as a Chromecast in the Google Chromecast App and WatchESPN gets the cast icon. I found this info on the Google + Android TV forum. I have not tried it out as I am not ready to root my new Shield TV.

https://plus.google.com/+IsraelOliverJr414515/posts/7Kynj7omhaC

Wierd, media apps find it okay, the CC app doesn't find it and I tried to cast a game and there was no icon for that either, will try a power cycle of the TV

jamvids

I think I would rather splash out 30 quid on a CC than risk bricking my shiny new telly

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

rarefc3s

I think I would rather splash out 30 quid on a CC than risk bricking my shiny new telly

100% agree with you there. So far I just use the cast from Chrome Browser on my PC for the sources or apps which don't seem to have casting built in. I'm likely to outfit all my TVs with a Chromecast they are so cheap and easy to use.

jamvids

Yeah they are good value, I am going to gradually replace my pure multi room with CCA's. Gonna try my first one out in the car.