How many people run separate NAS and emby Server?

pr3dict

50 members have voted

1. 1. How is your server setup?

• My media is stored on directly connected storage devices on my server
    • I have a separate file/media storage unit.

JeremyFr79

So I checked out the qnap stuff. It's basically a selfcontained computer in a nice package. What I am curious about is, why not just use your own self created NAS? If that was an option what software would we use? Linux like you said?

The reason I ask is I have this haswell i3 that I am not using and I want to put it to use. I figure making my own NAS will be cheaper and more versatile then anything else on the market. 

Considering I got all my Qnap stuff for free dunno how much cheaper than that I could have got :D

dark_slayer

As a general point of annoyance there are tons of long winded forum posts all around the internet arguing the merits and definitions of what you call a NAS and what you call a server

My general rule of thumb is just to call what you can purchase from a NAS vendor (qnap, synology, wd cloud drives, etc) a NAS and everything else is a server

Not a perfect definition since you can purchase supermicro and dell poweredge servers that look just like a NAS and some that perform weaker. Then there are synology and qnap units that blur those lines as well with full on intel core processors rather than their more power efficient arm offerings

My server is all stuffed in an old Thermaltake Armor gaming case

i7-3770k

16GB ram

250GB SSD (partitioned for C drive and tRAID landing disk)

500GB SSD (scratch space, downloads, etc)

29TB tRAID (Flexraid - 3x3TB+5x4TB DRUs and 1x6TB PPU)

I added in 2x4TB and 1x6TB new HDDs this past holiday, but I've yet to rebuild my flexraid configuration to make use of them. I'm at 93% capacity on the available 29TB, so I'll have to get on that pretty soon which will bring me up to 43TB if I keep the single parity ... which I probably will

All runs atop W8.1 pro w/ WMC

-Also feeds my Kodi clients via ServerWMC

-Runs an older GTX 660 graphics card as well, I have all my steam/origin/uplay games installed. Play them on the shield via gamestream, played them on the nexus player before via moonlight for android.

I could build a separate box for gaming (I had one that I sold) but I prefer gamestream so much more. I don't do multiplayer anyway, just long campaign stuff and hack n' slash RPGs. I prefer tucking away the server in a room where I can close the door and having a small fanless box at each TV as a client (even though I know the shield isn't fanless). I no longer have a monitor hooked up to the server, I just use chromeRDP. Used teamviewer and native MS RDP in the past, but I've found chrome to be best overall and least intrusive for me

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Considering I got all my Qnap stuff for free dunno how much cheaper than that I could have got :D

QNAP has a pretty hefty retail cost if you can't get it for free. That is why I built an entire server for less than a QNAP housing would cost me. This is what I was looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822107179&cm_re=qnap-_-22-107-179-_-Product

JeremyFr79

Yeah I'd never purchase Qnap stuff brand new, but you can get some great deals 2nd hand (or working for the right employer)

TugboatBill

I run Emby Server on a Win 7 VM.  Data is kept on a couple Synology NASs.  Backups on a unraid NAS. Clients are Kodi.