How many people run separate NAS and emby Server?

pr3dict

50 members have voted

1. 1. How is your server setup?

• My media is stored on directly connected storage devices on my server
    • I have a separate file/media storage unit.

pr3dict

Hi All,

Soooooooooooo I recently upgraded my mediaserver/nas/frontend playback device with a i7 cpu for a better experience incase I need to transcode like 5 things at once....

My question to all of you is:

How many of you run a separate NAS and media server? Basically, one system for just having storage of files and then another separate one that streams it all and organizes it etc. 

Follow up question. How is it working for you and what do you use to do that?

legallink

It's all one machine for me, but a separate machine than my frontend device.  I think the poll would be more applicable/helpful if you had 4 options.  1. My emby server, my file/media storage, and my front end client are all the same machine; 2. My emby server and and my file/media storage are the same machine, but my front end client(s) are separate; 3. My emby server and front end client are on one machine and my file/media storage is on a separate machine; 4. Everything is on it's own machine: emby server, file/media storage, front end device.

Spaceboy

Separate, I have all the media on a synology nas but I have a separate Windows PC running Emby and my tv server and cam. Everything is connected by gigabit connections. I've had everything on a Windows pc server and client, everything on the synology and now all separate. I prefer them separate to do their separate jobs, the nas serves files and the PC does all the heavy work and my clients play

Edited by Spaceboy
  • Like 2

Deathsquirrel

To each their own, but I've never seen an upside to NAS in the home that I don't already have addressed some other, far less expensive, way.  Server drives are in the server case and are fully backed up off-site.

Overseer

Running a WHS2011 server and a couple of Sans Digital cases connected via eSATA.  Stablebit Drivepool to pool my media drives.

pr3dict

Running a WHS2011 server and a couple of Sans Digital cases connected via eSATA.  Stablebit Drivepool to pool my media drives.

ohhhh thats interesting... tell us more :)

Spaceboy

To each their own, but I've never seen an upside to NAS in the home that I don't already have addressed some other, far less expensive, way. Server drives are in the server case and are fully backed up off-site.

Not to sound like too much of a twat but expense isn't a concern for me
  • Like 1

Latchmor

Separate, I have all the media on a synology nas but I have a separate Windows PC running Emby and my tv server and cam. Everything is connected by gigabit connections. I've had everything on a Windows pc server and client, everything on the synology and now all separate. I prefer them separate to do their separate jobs, the nas serves files and the PC does all the heavy work and my clients play

Snap  ;)

AdrianW

I have all my content on a Qnap (with some older stuff on another Qnap). I have Emby server and EMC installed on my NUC which lives under the TV. 

Works great for me - but I don't transcode anything - 80% of my content is watched on the NUC, the rest is on my PC in the study via the new Emby Theatre.

AdrianW

Same here - it's just so much easier having eight 6TB drives in very small form-factor NAS than trying to build something with 8 drive bays that would be relatively large, noisy and power hungry.

pr3dict

how does the qnap perform, and what raid configuration are you in?

Same here - it's just so much easier having eight 6TB drives in very small form-factor NAS than trying to build something with 8 drive bays that would be relatively large, noisy and power hungry.

Koleckai Silvestri

I run a single machine built strictly for the purpose of running Emby Server and the media storage file system. Thought about building out a NAS. However, a single machine that serves my current needs is the best and most affordable solution at this time. In the future, I might think about building a lightweight NAS to complement it.

Deathsquirrel

Fair enough but it seemed rude to add 'and easier, more reliable, and less of a stupid waste of my time' but in this context I suppose I will.

Spaceboy

Fair enough but it seemed rude to add 'and easier, more reliable, and less of a stupid waste of my time' but in this context I suppose I will.

You can add what you like, mine and others experience disagree. Sorry to get your panties in a bunch over it

The latest version of my setup includes a Synology DiskStation ds1815+ 8-bay NAS filled with 4TB Seagate NAS drives as my storage/cloud/backup unit to store all my media.

For my server, I run an i7-990X with 24GB RAM. It's a bit old, hobbled together from hand-me-down parts from my work machine, but it is still a beast of a CPU and can handle all kinds of multi-thread tasks like transcoding multiple streams. Plus, it was free as the parts were just lying around, not being used. The server is running all the usual automation, plus emby, Plex, and Ubooquity server software for delivery.

I have had no problems with this setup, it is working great. There doesn't seem to be any issues that I have run into by having separate storage and server machines. If anything, it has only expanded my ability to access my files anywhere and everywhere and in many ways.

To be fair, though... I really enjoy playing with and maintaining all of this hardware and software etc. If it wasn't something that I liked spending time doing, I'm sure it would be a great hassle.

• Like 1

JeremyFr79

My current setup is a Dell R810 with (4) 8 Core processors and 128GB of RAM dedicated to Emby, Files are all stored on SAN consisting of a 24bay Supermicro Server which has a mixture of 3TB drives (Media Storage) & 1TB drives(non media file storage), and 2 Qnap 879's each filled with 3TB disks running ISCSI on a dedicated VLAN and NICs to the Server.  Total storage is right around 100TB now.

Add to that the the dedicated machine for my Theater room that does all the Live TV serving and has dual 4 Tuner Cetons, and 6TB of local storage for TV recording.

Edited by JeremyFr79
  • Like 3

pr3dict

someone has got to explain this qnap stuff to me... Is that the actual OS as well as the hardware? 

My current setup is a Dell R810 with (4) 8 Core processors and 128GB of RAM dedicated to Emby, Files are all stored on SAN consisting of a 24bay Supermicro Server which has a mixture of 3TB drives (Media Storage) & 1TB drives(non media file storage), and 2 Qnap 879's each filled with 3TB disks running ISCSI on a dedicated VLAN and NICs to the Server.  Total storage is right around 100TB now.

Add to that the the dedicated machine for my Theater room that does all the Live TV serving and has dual 4 Tuner Cetons, and 6TB of local storage for TV recording.

JeremyFr79

Qnap is a manufacturer of NAS systems, they make the hardware and software for them yes, all in one package.  Linux based of course but highly customized.

You can run them any number of way's, you can run them completely independent as self contained systems directly serving files etc.  You can use them as ISCSI targets,etc.  They offer a great deal of versatility.

I actually have 4 of them myself, 2 though are sitting unused at the moment they're my older TS-809U's

Edited by JeremyFr79

Holy hannah that's an impressive set up... 

I'm running Windows Server 2012 Essentials with a 14Tb Storeage Pool and a virtual drive set up for each content folder. Emby then sits on the same server and broadcasts to the rest of the house via some home plugs and onto the Wifi Router

• Like 1

JeremyFr79

Holy hannah that's an impressive set up... 

I'm running Windows Server 2012 Essentials with a 14Tb Storeage Pool and a virtual drive set up for each content folder. Emby then sits on the same server and broadcasts to the rest of the house via some home plugs and onto the Wifi Router

It get's the job done :)

AdrianW

how does the qnap perform, and what raid configuration are you in?

It performs great for me - but I'm only using it as a file server. I'm using Raid 6 giving me 36TB of usable space.

pr3dict

It performs great for me - but I'm only using it as a file server. I'm using Raid 6 giving me 36TB of usable space.

Qnap is a manufacturer of NAS systems, they make the hardware and software for them yes, all in one package.  Linux based of course but highly customized.

You can run them any number of way's, you can run them completely independent as self contained systems directly serving files etc.  You can use them as ISCSI targets,etc.  They offer a great deal of versatility.

I actually have 4 of them myself, 2 though are sitting unused at the moment they're my older TS-809U's

So I checked out the qnap stuff. It's basically a selfcontained computer in a nice package. What I am curious about is, why not just use your own self created NAS? If that was an option what software would we use? Linux like you said?

The reason I ask is I have this haswell i3 that I am not using and I want to put it to use. I figure making my own NAS will be cheaper and more versatile then anything else on the market. 

Karbowiak

I run it all in the same chassis, 10x 4TB drives, 6x 3TB drives, 6x 2TB drives, 2x 256GB 850 EVO, 1x 256GB PCI-E SSD OCZ RevoDrive 3 x2, 1x 120GB Intel something SSD - all with Debian and ZFS, and everything split into docker containers - tho it runs more than just emby, it's also generic storage for the house plus web/dev server and a few other minor things.

Been thinking about splitting it into two machines tho, one with all the storage, and one with all the processing power for hosting and whatnot - but effort is my main enemy :P

(Plus 3 NUCs in the house, various android/ios devices and whatnots)