Emby reporting playback of videos on wrong accounts.

jfarre20

jfarre20

I've noticed this issue after I updated from a very old version of emby to 3.0.5782.0.

At first, I thought someone had my password and was using my account - but on further investigation, I have confirmed that the user is using their own account yet it's tracking their video history to mine.

Here is what happens:

A user (not me) starts playback of a video. On the active devices screen, it shows the video is being played by me on my account - It most certainly is not. 

My Emby homepage shows resume for the video that is being played on the another account and my video history is influenced by the other account - showing watched or in progress for videos I have not seen yet. 

This is also affecting my suggested videos. 

I do not think this is happening to other accounts, and my account is not the only administrative account on the system.

Happy2Play

What client?  Does the users have a local account or is the account linked to a user account?

Do you have nfo files set to sync with a specific account?  Metadata-NFO

Kelmino

I've had someone complaining in my house about this, but I brushed it off as something they were doing wrong like logging into the wrong user, or having two windows open on two different user names, maybe they weren't totally crazy   :)

We mostly use the web client and Chrome, every once in a while Emby Theater (With external players)

Edited by Kelmino

jfarre20

The client is Chrome 47.0.2526.106 - 3.0.5782.0

All accounts are local

I don't know anything about NFO syncing, so I'm probably not using it.

jfarre20

I was going to check, but I restarted my emby server because people were complaining that videos were not playing. The process was hung for 5 minutes, then exited. I restarted it, and now nothing is working.

I'm physically rebooting the machine now. 

Update: Just rebooted, emby came on and its all sorts of messed up. Is there a way to wipe the caches?

update 2: It just started working (mostly) normally for no reason. I am not syncing Nfo's. 

M0pYAQQ.png

and yet, in the main menu - its showing that I'm playing a movie. The name under my icon is changing between my name and the account that's actually playing the video.

VRilig4.png

Edited by jfarre20

vick1982

i am having same problem.. an external user will connect using chrome browser and it will show the correct name on recent activity.. but on the active devices instead of their user it is showing my administrator account is watching... 

server version: Version 3.0.5783.0

Edited by vick1982

• 2 weeks later...
Happy2Play

The only way I could reproduce this is two active users on the same browser.  I don't see any improper account watch counts. 

Two user logged in the same browser, one local and one using Emby Connect same machine.  Depending on which browser tab I refresh will toggle active user on browser, not who is playing the media.

5699b3dae91e6_images3.jpg

Happy2Play

That scenario is definitely not supported. Thanks for testing. Jfarre is this what's happening?

The scene shot Jfarre20 posted only shows one active device, that is why I tested that scenario.

jfarre20

I'm not having multiple users connect on the same machine, nor do i use emby connect. 

Most of my users connect via WAN, via browser. 

I did some testing. I logged onto another PC using RDP, logged into emby's web UI using an account that wasn't mine (via chrome) - and started playing back a video. The emby server admin panel reported that my account was playing back the video, and its now sitting in my resume videos on my emby home.

When more than one person is using the server, it only seems to pick the user who started playback first and puts them as me, the other user shows up normally.
Edited by jfarre20

i can see a possible issue where two browsers could produce the same ID. It's unlikely but it is possible. It's being resolved for the next release.

jfarre20

I had a few people connect to my emby server and start video playback. In the active devices menu, it only showed my account - and the image was changing every few seconds.

http://i.imgur.com/tVZDXP0.gif

In the activity menu, it correctly shows who started which video. 

I also tried logging out of chrome and using Internet Explorer.

http://i.imgur.com/kVgipv0.gif

Also, I don't know why its reporting my internal server IP to be .162 --- its .8

Update: I figured out the IP issue - emby is bonding to the virtual interface for the VPN server instead of my actual interface.

Edited by jfarre20

Happy2Play

This is just browser data getting merged. 

Two diferent computer logged into server as using Chrome with different user accounts.  So everyone using Chrome same version gets merged into one active tile.  Still can't reproduce resumes from account crossover

569abbe1a58f4_Untitled.jpg

jfarre20

This is just browser data getting merged. 

I think its more than that. The resume issue and tracking of shows I haven't watched couldn't possibly be due to a browser data mixup. It happens even when I am not logged on. 

Emby has been getting progressively more weird on my system. First auto updates quit working due to the process hanging too long at shutdown, then the ffmpeg overload issue (where ffmpeg processes randomly decide to not end and overload my system), and now this mess. Its got to be bit flips or corruption or something... I might try blowing all my configs away and doing a fresh install - maybe i'll run chkdsk too.

Thanks. I checked in the fix but I'm not sure it made it into the latest beta or not. But able to check right now. But if not it will be in the next one. Glad it's working now.

Tolerant

Also having this problem. Running the server on PC1 and viewing using FireFox on PC1 playing to Emby App on PC1 Monitor2, USER1 Admin account for the server. Then having a USER2 via the Wireless LAN act as a client play content using their FireFox browser on PC2 to their big screen TV via HDMI, causes the problem for me (USER1) back on PC1 by showing the USER2's content selection & playback as mine. Very frustrating.

Even with the latest update I am still suffering this issue.

There is something interesting I figured out...

This problem only occurs for me if i run emby as a service, if i run it in standard mode this issue is not present.

Tolerant

I don't run it as a service, I start the server manually and I still have the problem with the latest update. Very annoying as this never used to be a problem until recently.

I'm also experiencing this issue, I'm even getting what other users have watched under my suggestions, and can resume from where they left off, really weird.

For sake of keeping this bug report complete I also reported this issue in another thread over here: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/23971-fast-startup-sync-server-plugin/?p=292541. I'm not sure but as I had the sync plugin installed there may be something useful in the information I posted from the logs.

Anyways, I noticed the exact same thing as in the gif of @@jfarre20 (this one: http://i.imgur.com/kVgipv0.gif), except I'm using Emby for Kodi and the card switches between 3 different items instead of 2 in the gif. In the card it shows that my user account is watching something (my device name, "Livingroom", is in the top-left and my username in the bottom-right). Every second the card backgrond changes to what the other users are watching (but the device name and username remain mine), currently 3 users are watching something and all their content shows up under my username, so I checked the webinterface and yep, wrong resume points showed up again under my user account. When I noticed this in the webinterface I wasn't watching anything at all. However, about 10 minutes ago I did play a movie for a few minutes and stopped it, also I forced a few manual syncs in Kodi for Emby to sync my local library with the one from the Emby server.

Just now, while I was watching the server management page I noticed that all of a sudden the card name changed to another user's name and device name. Possibly this happend when another user stopped playing or started playing something else. That user also has wrong resume points in his account. So data of other users doesn't spill over to just one particular user, but is spilled all over the other user accounts on the server.

The main thing I can see in the logs (that's something I also mentioned in the other thread) is reported by the sync queue plugin which has more verbose logging than the core server I guess, is this:

2016-01-26 20:29:13.6586 Info App: Emby.Kodi.SyncQueue:  Updating ItemId: 'a67af59a0069139cc5089ed8ed955b5a' for UserId: '5586f7f5abe547f3b200212ec57ef3a2' in table: 'ItemsUpdatedQueue'
2016-01-26 20:29:13.6586 Info App: Emby.Kodi.SyncQueue:  Updating ItemId: 'a67af59a0069139cc5089ed8ed955b5a' for UserId: '3cc0986a983643ceb7a520830f323631' in table: 'ItemsUpdatedQueue'
2016-01-26 20:29:13.6586 Info App: Emby.Kodi.SyncQueue:  Updating ItemId: 'a67af59a0069139cc5089ed8ed955b5a' for UserId: '2a495fff3eb849618e078ce05796b848' in table: 'ItemsUpdatedQueue'
2016-01-26 20:29:13.6586 Info App: Emby.Kodi.SyncQueue:  Updating ItemId: 'a67af59a0069139cc5089ed8ed955b5a' for UserId: 'b3129c6a56824a9e85a1effbe9eae3f8' in table: 'ItemsUpdatedQueue'
2016-01-26 20:29:13.6586 Info App: Emby.Kodi.SyncQueue:  Updating ItemId: 'a67af59a0069139cc5089ed8ed955b5a' for UserId: '42717dda0b1c4f9b9b5192181588829c' in table: 'ItemsUpdatedQueue'
2016-01-26 20:29:13.6736 Info App: Emby.Kodi.SyncQueue:  Updating ItemId: 'a67af59a0069139cc5089ed8ed955b5a' for UserId: 'b07760d72c444285b58f6e5797e221e6' in table: 'ItemsUpdatedQueue'
2016-01-26 20:29:13.6736 Info App: Emby.Kodi.SyncQueue:  Updating ItemId: 'a67af59a0069139cc5089ed8ed955b5a' for UserId: '8599e3830d534d7ba6edc56a77cd927e' in table: 'ItemsUpdatedQueue'

What I understand from it is that Emby reports that itemid a67af59a0069139cc5089ed8ed955b5a is updated for all users. However as far as I can make out of the logs this should only happen when the LibraryMonitor detects a change, that was not the case here. There is only one user that possibly watched that item an that is user 5586f7f5abe547f3b200212ec57ef3a2. But now that item has an incorrect resume point in 3 other user accounts. It looks like the account that haven't been active lately don't have this resume point.

So is it possible that a particular single user action is automatically pushed to all users (to what the sync plugin calls "ItemsUpdatedQueue")?

Also note that we stream over HTTP(S) as we are in remote locations maybe most users play over SMB and therefore don't experience this bug? And for that same reason the could bug only occur for other users when they use the web browser.