HDHR Prime - Recording Size

whitestrat13

whitestrat13

All,

I am considering picking up an HDHomerun Prime to record and watch my cable TV channels.  I don't have any Premium channels (HBO ect), but I do get up early and I can never watch most of the shows I like before having to go to bed.

I am trying to figure out how much hard drive space I will need.  For those using Emby TV with an HD Homerun Prime (or connect), roughly how large is an hour long HD recording?

Thanks, and Happy New Years.

mellomade

Depends on the signal resolution (1080i,720, etc) and the audio track but generally an MPEG-2 stream with AC3 audio will be between 5-6GB for 1 hour.

• Like 1

whitestrat13

Thanks @@mellomade for the fast response.  It sounds like I'll need at least another 4TB of storage.

Has anyone implemented MCEBuddy for removing commercials and converting to H.264 mp4's?  For several TV shows that I currently purchase on DVD/BD each year, I'd love to record and then archive them into my EMBY tv library and not have to buy them on disks.

mjktg99

Thanks @@mellomade for the fast response.  It sounds like I'll need at least another 4TB of storage.

Has anyone implemented MCEBuddy for removing commercials and converting to H.264 mp4's?  For several TV shows that I currently purchase on DVD/BD each year, I'd love to record and then archive them into my EMBY tv library and not have to buy them on disks.

I am running MCEBuddy and doing that exact conversion.

whitestrat13

I am running MCEBuddy and doing that exact conversion.

That's great! Any gotchas I should look out for when setting up MCEBuddy?

Can I run MCEBuddy from a remote computer if the recoding location is shared out? My server is pretty low powered (i5 650) and I have a desktop with an overclocked 2600k that sits mostly idle.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

mjktg99

All mcebuddy needs is access to the files. If you use a roku, the max fps rate is 30 so I force the conversations to 29.97fps to avoid transcoding. The default setting is auto which leaves it whatever the source is.

My server is only a core 2 quad 3ghz so I think your server is better there. The conversions take awhile on mine. Sometimes all night if there are a bunch of shows. My demand on the server doesn't warrant an upgrade at this point but as my son gets older I'm sure I'll need a beefier Processor.

Edited by mjktg99
  • Like 1

ThePaladinTech

Curious - could you share your MCEBuddy conversion settings? I'm espicially interested in your file naming, metadata bits...

mjktg99

Curious - could you share your MCEBuddy conversion settings? I'm espicially interested in your file naming, metadata bits...

I don't do anything custom as far as that goes.  I take all the defaults.  I don't use emby auto organize feature so I don't know if that plays into why you are asking.  This is how my files wind up being renamed "The Big Bang Theory-S09E03-The Bachelor Party Corrosion"