Vob Movies playing in wrong language

amotto11
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

amotto11

All,

I have 90% of my movie collection in Video_TS folders which contain all of the vobs, ifo's, and bup's. When i select some of the movies they are playing in another language besides english, i think this is because when i ripped the movie, i ripped the entire disk. Is there a way to tell emby to only play the english version, or have emby at least recognize the english version.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

• Solution

What emby app are you using? If it's an htpc app then yes, it should be in the app's menu.

But if it's an app that requires streaming through the server, then we consider VIDEO_TS streaming support highly experimental. For best results you should consider converting to plain video files.

• Like 1

amotto11

Luke, thank you for your response. I am using the browser on my pc and a roku, both of which it is selecting the wrong language. I will look in the menu for something. Could you point me in the right direction.

Yea that's the problem. Neither of those apps have native support for VIDEO_TS so they have to stream them through the server. We're trying to force some tools to do things they weren't designed to do, so that's why we call it experimental.

amotto11

Okay. I am unfamiliar with most video streaming and such, so could you help me understand in laments terms. Since I ripped all my movies into the original format video_ts folders with the vobs etc they are all sitting out on my server in a file system that emby accesses. If I go through vlc media player on my pc and play the video that is on the server it will play with menus and everything just as If I had inserted the dvd on that local computer. What I can't understand, and I'm sure you'll know the answer, why can vlc play the movie like that and no streaming service can, not just emby, I have looked into a lot of them. I know it isn't being transcoded because my computer can handle those files, but why can't my dvd player handle it in the same way, and why can't emby, send the entire disc to my tv?

This is not meant in any way to be rude. I am just interested in knowing why for the sake of knowledge and before I go and convert my entire movie collection.

Thanks.

Well, the long story short is that plain video files are easy, and folder rip structures are hard, very hard. That's why no streaming server wants to touch them at all. The experimental support that we have was quite an effort just to get them to that point, and given their decline in popularity I'm not sure we're going to put in the effort to take them any further.

But - this does not stop you from using them in Emby with Emby htpc apps such as Emby for Windows Media Center, Emby Theater, and Emby for Kodi. Those three apps have native support and don't have to rely on the server's streaming features.

amotto11

Thank you for that explanation. I guess it is worth converting them if you say it is dying. I love emby, and the only problems I have been having, as your probably aware, because you have answered most of my threads, are with the folder structure of my videos. I also love emby for kodi, but unfortunately not many platforms support kodi like my tvs and such.

The only thing I am concerned about when converting them is the loss of quality. I am not hurting for space on my drive and with it being so cheap I will never be hurting for space. I have been using handbrake to convert all of my tv shows into mkv with handbrake's "high profile" setting. Do you know of this? If so, is this the very best setting I can have it on, or would you recommend something else/another program? Again I am not hurting for space, I just don't want to lose any video or audio quality.

you can convert without re-encoding the video or audio. the process is fast and will keep the audio and video streams untouched. I don't know what tools you would use for folder structures, but makemkv does this with iso's. you can check to see if it supports folders, or if not find something similar.

• Like 1