Emby Genre Icons

epayson85

epayson85

I have seen plenty of topics about this but none that have the same issue as me.  Is there something I am missing during the setup?? Heck even when you do a fresh install and start emby for wmc it claims you will see all the same images and interface as you do on the web but its simply not true.  The web interface works fine but emby for wmc I get nothing.  I had this issue on my test pc and now just did a fresh install on my htpc and still... no images on the genre folders.  Why? I haven't even gotten into customizing them.  I just want the default ones to appear! I just see blank folders under the genres.  What do I need to do to enable them to show up?  

epayson85

Ok this literally makes no sense to me... Do I have to be a premium member for the images to work or something? Also why is it of I change the images in IBN it doesn't update on the web interface? Do I have to update via the web interface? When I update via the web it puts the same image with the same name into the same folder.... Why doesn't it look for those changes automatically???

epayson85

Ok so where are the photos for the genres actually stored because you can't tell me they are stored in IBN folders.  I have deleted the genre folders COMPLETELY, deleted the image cache, and they still load on the web interface. How is that even possible?  Clearly there is another location that is superseding anything that I do to those folders.  Other than updating the photos in the web interface I can't get anything to see a "folder.jpg/png"  and still nothing at all shows up in emby wmc.  

epayson85

Ok so if I enable legacy views then everything works fine.  Any idea why I can see the images in legacy but not in the new views? This is using the chocolate theme.

epayson85

OMG.... are you even kidding me right now? No wonder this doesn't work... So looking at the fresh install I did yesterday, the media browser server folder is gone... and now its emby server... and IBN... DOESN'T EVEN EXIST ANYMORE?!?!!?! Now its metadata/genre??? How can you even give people instructions / make a wiki when every single version of this software folder structures change? More importantly... some people started on earlier versions such as my test computer and then others are newer users with fresh installs such as my new install on my HTPC.  How do you expect to support people that have issues? 

Regardless still new EHS views do not work / update images.  Legacy views have updated one genre, action... but don't update any others.  The original images still remain after 1. deleting them and 2. deleting the image cache 3. restarting the server

Things evolve and we do the best we can to still support old conventions without compromising the new ones.  Sometimes that won't always work out but my suggestion to you is to stop trying to manipulate the actual file system and use the facilities built in to the web client/metadata manager.  This will give you the highest chance for success.

epayson85

You can't.  The metadata manager is too limited.  If you upload an image all it does is replace the one already there.  You can't add backdrops.  However... if you get lucky and it recognizes the backdrop image you add then you gain a backdrop category under "edit images" that wasn't there before.  Also even if I do add an image under the web client it still doesn't show up on the EHS.  Only on legacy views.

For those that want to know.  "Movies by Genre" no longer works under general and its now just "Genre"  

For those that want to know.  "Movies by Genre" no longer works under general and its now just "Genre"  

If you are trying to manipulate the file-system directly, the way the IBN works (and always has), is by name matching.  So, the images need to be in a folder named exactly like the item on your EHS.

Redshirt

You can't.  The metadata manager is too limited.  If you upload an image all it does is replace the one already there.  You can't add backdrops.  However... if you get lucky and it recognizes the backdrop image you add then you gain a backdrop category under "edit images" that wasn't there before.  Also even if I do add an image under the web client it still doesn't show up on the EHS.  Only on legacy views.

When you upload an image, there is a dropdown list right above the blue upload button. It lets you define what type of image your uploading. It's actually not terribly obvious that it's a dropdown list though.

epayson85

Redshirt can you upload a picture of this said button? Because I don't have that anywhere.  I don't even have a blue upload button.  I see "edit images" and then from there I have a "+" to add an image.  I can add it under images and I can add it under backdrops.  However... if you are editing genres there is no backdrop option until I have manually add one myself.

Regardless of any of this though... The original images do not show up under the EHS for any genres.  I have gotten the images and back drops to appear for the parent menu which shows all movies, favorites, genres and so forth.  However, nothing shows up under the actual genres.  Its just blank folders with the name of the genre over it.  What is interesting is if I go to general\genres and then add a folder named "action" then the word action will disappear from that folder image.  Adding any images with any name structure though yields no results.

epayson85

So I have everything working awesome now on legacy browsing... Any ideas why I just see blank folders and no back drops on Genres with legacy turned off?  The icons and back drops work just fine on the main menu so All movies, Favorites, genres... but once you go into genres its just blank folders with the genre labels.  I would love to not have to use legacy browsing.  Otherwise I lose favorites, collections, and the trailers app.

Ian-Highlander

You need to create the old IBN style "general" folder and put it into the metadata directory and then have a folder for each sub menu within that. The folder name has to be exactly how it appears in the interface.

So for example:

--emby-server/metadata

--general

--Favourites

--Favourite Albums

--Favourite Episodes

etc etc etc

In each folder place a thumb.jpg (for 16x9 horizontal image) and a folder.jpg (for the upright style images) and if you want them backdrop.jpg.

You may also need to enable legacy images in the config file, but not sure if that's a requirement for this to work or not, it may only affect the metadata image structure.

564fc78710736_1.jpg

Edited by Ian-Highlander
  • Like 2

epayson85
Ian-Highlander

That part I actually do have working.  Its the actual Genres them selves that aren't working.  Do I need to add new sub folders under the genres folder... so basically IBN\General\Genres\Action\Poster.jpg?

Ian-Highlander

@@epayson85 No, you don't need the genres subfolder under general, just add the action folder as above directly under the general folder. Same applies to anything else needed in the general folder.

Ian-Highlander

@@Ian-Highlander

I've been trying to get this to work for months with almost no luck. How do get it to know the difference between TV Favorites, resume, and say movie ones?

Things like Resume where it's the same name precisely, the only thing you can do is use a more generic icon which it will use for either as each resume folder will only show items for that type, but they both use the same icon as the old IBN style folder for icons goes purely on folder name.

Smitty018210

Crap, ok thanks man. That's kinda what I always thought, but I was hoping maybe you had figured sometime I hadn't out. Cheers.

Edited by Smitty018210

Ian-Highlander

@Ian-Highlander Just noticed you got the clear logos to work. Do you remember how? I've had no luck.

Sorry, probably me just being a bit dim, but I'm not sure what you mean by "clear logos".

Smitty018210

In the image you posted it looks like you have a logo.png working in that genres folder. I've not been able to get that to work.

Ian-Highlander

I have made my own set of custom icons for the whole system (they're all available to download in my thread in the fan art forum http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/27003-my-icons-multiple-icons-in-multiple-colours/). There's no logo file at all, just that each genre folder has a thumb.jpg (landscape), a folder.jpg (portrait) and a background.jpg for the background (I duplicate the thumb and rename it to backdrop.jpg so they're the same in my case).

So the genres folder for example has three image files in it, this image duplicated as thumb.jpg and backdrop.jpg

568412dd40f5b_genres.jpg

And this one as folder.jpg

56841351bbf4f_genresfolder.jpg

Is that what you meant?

Edited by Ian-Highlander