Trying to understand the DisplayPreferences workflow.

Redshirt

Redshirt

When saving and loading display preferences to/from the server. The expected procedure is to supply the DisplayPreferencesId of the parent item is it not? For example, lets say I navigate into a season folder to view episodes. You request the display preferences using the DisplayPreferencesId of the parent Season? 

The reason I'm asking is because lets say I change the episodes to display as a PosterWall. If I navigate into a photo album, the returned displayprefs will use the same ViewType value as the episodes. So if I change the photos to ThumbStrip and then navigate back to an episode list it is also using the ThumbStrip ViewType. The result I'm seeing is various library levels sharing a view association that I feel shouldn't. Music videos end up sharing the same ViewType as Photos as do Episodes.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

PS. I know ThumbStrip, and PosterWall aren't server defined. I'm just using them for easy readability :)

Yes, the display prefs ID belongs to the container.

We do normalize these IDs across the same type of container but this should be limited to items of basically the same type.  Although, I do believe that generic folders share a display pref type.

As for Seasons, specifically, I don't think I've ever designed a configurable view type or sort order or anything down to that level so it is possible that a Season shares the display pref ID with generic folders.  That kind of sounds like what is happening to you.

Note - this ID is arbitrary in that it isn't tied to any other piece of data.  Therefore, you can determine your own display pref ID on the client end if you want and have them share or not share however you wish.  The server just attempts to provide you with what it feels is best for default functionality.

• Like 1