Viewing Live TV in Kodi

robpf

I am new to emby. I have been able to set up the server and and the TV Guide with my hdhomerun prime. Everything works fine if I access the TV stream from a browser, android or emby theater, but I can not figure out how to get the live TV stream to play in Kodi. I have installed the NextPRV and TVheadend apps on the server but if I enable them in Kodi they don't see the server. Emby does work in Kodi and I am able to play movie files from the emby server. What am I missing?

Kodi does not have support for our Live TV at this time.  We hope to add it but it requires a completely different plug-in/app in Kodi (that's just how Kodi handles TV).

That is only needed if you use NextPVR as your Live TV back-end (instead of our built-in support or some other plug-in).

At least it is not just me being stupid. What is the purpose of the NextPVR server app? What extra functionality does this give me?

NextPVR is a similar sort of app to Emby, but more focused on TV. It allows you to watch live tv, schedule recordings, watch recordings etc. As well as being able to do this within NextPVR itself, you can integrated it with Emby or Kodi to use it within those applications. ie, With the NextPVR server installed, you can then use the NextPVR plugin installed in Emby, you can watch your recordings or live tv channels in Emby. You can do the same sort of thing in Kodi, with the Kodi NextPVR addon giving access to live tv and recordings