People refresh don´t work

Schimi

mtnsteve

Whats frustrating  is before I reinstalled W10 and updated Emby from 5781.1 to the latest version, at least 75+% of all the actors and directors had images. I was super impressed at the time to find I could hit "more" and there were images for most of them as well. Prior to the update and upgrade it took well over an hour (close to 2hr, I believe) to manually run Refresh People, now it takes seconds and keeping my system running 24/7 has not filled in the vast majority of images, I actually have fewer folders too because I wanted wait and see how the upgrade/update went.

I don't understand what changed.

hifiaudio2

You shouldn't need to delete previous metadata, all I did was a library level Refresh-add Missing metadata only. (Metadata Manager-select a library)

I did this yesterday, but it didnt add any images that I can tell.

mtnsteve

You shouldn't need to delete previous metadata, all I did was a library level Refresh-add Missing metadata only. (Metadata Manager-select a library)

I just tried this on one recent movie library and it did nothing. Most movies showed no images at all under cast and crew, with a few showing one or two at best. It was running for over two hours too. Since this didn't work, I thought I would try it on a single movie folder.  Before starting it showed images for only two actors, after running refresh.....it still showed only the same two images. It did absolutely nothing. I tried it again, on a movie I just added, and got the same results, one image out of 24...the same one that showed before the refresh. All the other art work and info is there, just no images under cast & crew.

The refresh feature in the metadata manager seems quite useless, at least for me. 

Edited by mtnsteve

Happy2Play

As stated earlier a Metadata refresh only provide names to be fetched, only during the People refresh task.  The only reason to refresh metadata is if the cast and crew are missing.  So if you open a movie and you see the place holder and no images you are fine.  The People refresh reads the <Person> tag from xml or <actor> from nfo.  And if you look at your log you will see the search by name

The problem is after so many request about 300 (from looking at previous logs), further requests "time-out" and doesn't seem to recover. 

Daily logs are about 180MB with about 1,804,326 lines for errors related to people "due to a previous timeout".

Line 14607: 2015-12-04 02:59:59.0108 Info - App: Executing Refresh people
 Line 1818933: 2015-12-04 03:06:05.1584 Info - App: Refresh people Completed after 6 minute(s) and 6 seconds

I have noticed something odd also where Emby is searching a series name as people.  This folder doesn't exist either.

2015-12-05 02:11:44.9476 Debug - App: Running PersonXmlProvider for Z:\ServerFolders\Emby-Server\ImagesByName\People\T\The Walking Dead
2015-12-05 02:11:44.9476 Debug - App: PersonXmlProvider returned no metadata for Z:\ServerFolders\Emby-Server\ImagesByName\People\T\The Walking Dead
2015-12-05 02:11:44.9476 Debug - App: Running MovieDbPersonProvider for Z:\ServerFolders\Emby-Server\ImagesByName\People\T\The Walking Dead
2015-12-05 02:11:44.9476 Error - App: Error in TheMovieDb
 *** Error Report ***
 Version: 3.0.5781.4
 Command line: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
 Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
 Processor count: 4
 64-Bit OS: True
 64-Bit Process: False
 Program data path: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
 Application Path: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
 Cancelling connection to http://api.themoviedb.org/3/search/person?api_key=f6bd687ffa63cd282b6ff2c6877f2669&query=The+Walking+Dead due to a previous timeout.

Also noted Refresh People always starts with the same name and ends with same.  Ran scan back to back and compared in 4 previous logs.

2015-12-05 02:58:20.6837 Debug - App: Running PersonXmlProvider for Z:\ServerFolders\Emby-Server\ImagesByName\People\D\Dermot Magennis

2015-12-05 03:02:36.8185 Debug - App: Running PersonXmlProvider for Z:\ServerFolders\Emby-Server\ImagesByName\People\E\Eddie G. Gutierrez 

Edited by Happy2Play
update

Happy2Play

It looks like this is a known bug and is on the fix it list, unless I misread the following thread.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/25445-missing-actor-thumbnails/

An issue was fixed back in October as Luke's reply.  This issue is in newer official release.  Sure the subject is the same, but the errors are different.

mtnsteve

Drat, my bad.

I just noticed the last two posts were made today and they were having, what seemed like, the same issues.

Oh well.....

Happy2Play

@@Luke

Any ideas on what this search is about?

2015-12-06 03:49:48.2575 Debug - App: Running PersonXmlProvider for Z:\ServerFolders\Emby-Server\ImagesByName\People\?\???? ????????
2015-12-06 03:49:48.2575 Debug - App: PersonXmlProvider returned no metadata for Z:\ServerFolders\Emby-Server\ImagesByName\People\?\???? ????????
2015-12-06 03:49:48.2575 Debug - App: Running MovieDbPersonProvider for Z:\ServerFolders\Emby-Server\ImagesByName\People\?\???? ????????

2015-12-06 03:49:48.2575 Error - App: Error in TheMovieDb

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

aptalca

New user here. I did a brand new install of emby. Have been using kodi and plex for a while but wanted to try something new.

None of my 1400 movies have any people images except for the ones I manually refreshed.

The server has been sitting for several weeks. It took a couple of days for all the xmls and the people bios to appear but no images showed up.

I have xbmc/kodi generated nfo's with links to actor images from imdb (no local actor thumbs). Most of the info and the artwork got scraped by emby and I was thinking maybe emby did a local refresh with the local nfo's and local artwork and did not do internet searches. But that's untrue because the people bios were not local and they were scraped.

I am also not getting any people images for new movies either. Those new ones do not have any local nfo's or artwork. Emby successfully retrieves all the info from the internet except for people images.

I'm still using plex and kodi because I cannot stand blank images and have no time to manually refresh thousands of people.

I would appreciate a fix of this bug as I'm sure it is a turn off for many new users.

Thanks

UPDATE: By the way, even though this thread is in the windows subforum, the issue occurs on other platforms as well. I am using it in docker on an ubuntu platform

Edited by aptalca
  • Like 1

mtnsteve

It's a little frustrating to be told to just be patient and everything will appear. I've been waiting for weeks, leaving Emby on 24/7, and the majority of my movies still have no images for cast/crew. I have to individually refresh each cast member before their image appears. I love Emby and I realize this may be a low priority but it would be nice if it was at least acknowledged as an issue.

Are we the only ones who have this problem?

Having exactly the same issues. As a side note, when opening a TV serie in the browser, the images are downloaded. This is not the case for movies.

Is a github issue already created for the missing images? Had already a quick look, but couldn't find one.

Best regards, Chris.

Happy2Play

Having exactly the same issues. As a side note, when opening a TV serie in the browser, the images are downloaded. This is not the case for movies.

Is a github issue already created for the missing images? Had already a quick look, but couldn't find one.

Best regards, Chris.

Because there is no issue pulling images from TVDB.  If I had to guess from the logs I have posted.  We are spamming TMDB and after so many requests we get disconnected.

Because there is no issue pulling images from TVDB.  If I had to guess from the logs I have posted.  We are spamming TMDB and after so many requests we get disconnected.

We are indeed spamming TMDB. No doubt about that. This can be seen in the logs when the 'refresh people' task is running on a relatively fast computer and enough bandwidth. I managed to let that task run for 100% with errors by limiting the bandwidth. The number of people increased a lot. But no images are downloaded by that task.

I still don't understand why the refresh of a single actor downloads the image, while opening a movie isn't downloading them. The policy of TMDB is throttling by ip measured over a few seconds. So this shouldn't be an issue for 1 movie with not too many actors.

Best regards, Chris.

• Like 1

aptalca

I did notice something else.

My TV show actors have images, but that's because xbmc/kodi generated xml's have links to actor pictures on thetvdb.org. Emby has no problem retrieving those from the tvdb. I did a new fresh install with just TV shows to test. I noticed that after one day, about half of the actors are missing bios (it takes 2-3 days to finish those usually) but most of them have pics even if they don't have the bio, which suggests emby simply retrieved the pics listed in the xml even before identifying the actor and downloading their bio.

However my movie xml's have actor links pointing to imdb and I'm guessing emby does not retrieve actor pics from there (Only tmdb is listed as a source).

So in summary, my emby install is not able to download any pics from the internet as part of the people refresh task unless the xmls contain links to pics on either tvdm or tmdb, but not imdb

I don't think it's a tmdb throttling issue because emby for me has not even downloaded a single actor pic without a tmdb/tvdb link in an xml. I think it's a scraping issue.

It doesn't even retrieve actor pics when I add one new movie to the library. It does retrieve all the other pics, which suggests it is not a throttling issue

Edited by aptalca

Happy2Play

What does your log say?  As you can see in post 30 I get almost 2,000,000 error lines returned from TMDB (due to a previous timeout).  But manually click on some of those links actually post the proper information.

Redshirt

At this point I would just like the problem to be acknowledged by the core team. Even if the problem can't be fixed right away, or requires discourse with TMDB. Just simply saying "Yes we confirm there is a problem, yes we're looking into it". A couple of users fumbling about in the logs doesn't amount to fuck all. 

• Like 5

Happy2Play

And out of how many people posting on this topic have posted logs to support the issue.  Saying I have the same problem doesn't really mean anything.  The OP was on a older server version that through a (429) error, now the server doesn't through that error anymore.  We are getting a (due to a previous timeout) error.  So is Emby cancelling the connection or is TMDB?

"Cancelling connection to http://api.themoviedb.org/3/search/person?api_key=f6bd687ffa63cd282b6ff2c6877f2669&query=Marco+Graziaplena due to a previous timeout."

But API connection opens fine, at least after the fact.

person.json

{"page":1,"results":[{"profile_path":null,"adult":false,"id":1477788,"known_for":[{"poster_path":"\/ikDwR3i2bczqnRf1urJTy77YTFf.jpg","adult":false,"overview":"Ex-government operative Bryan Mills finds his life is shattered when he's falsely accused of a murder that hits close to home. As he's pursued by a savvy police inspector, Mills employs his particular set of skills to track the real killer and exact his unique brand of justice.","release_date":"2015-01-09","original_title":"Taken 3","genre_ids":[80,28,53],"id":260346,"media_type":"movie","original_language":"en","title":"Taken 3","backdrop_path":"\/razvUuLkF7CX4XsLyj02ksC0ayy.jpg","popularity":7.610103,"vote_count":1058,"video":false,"vote_average":6.16}],"name":"Marco Graziaplena","popularity":1.002552}],"total_results":1,"total_pages":1}

How to Report a Problem

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play, it is the speed they are sent causing the issue. These are sent back to back, and eventually their server has to do some ddos mitigation, as you are seen as an attacker. So emby needs to rework this to play nice in TMDB's playground or we are seen as a bully and put in a short time out to punish the bad behavior.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

speechless, that is what I figured,  Personally I don't care how long the task takes or if it is throttled to 100 a day like the Rotten Tomatoes plugin is set to.  Something needs to be done and acknowledged.

With around 200,000 people in my collection and missing about 130,000 images I can understand the issue TMDB would have with that many requests.

Nologic

Maybe what we need is a built in bit torrent client for metadata & artwork. Given how many servers we all have running, bandwidth and connections shouldn't be a problem.

I would like to add something that may or may not point to something relevant....I was having the same problem, albeit my server is linux. I decided to concentrate on 1 film, the key actor had their person.xml under the correct folder for the actors name but no image.

So looking further under the metadata folder you have a folder structure ...genre>>library>>People>>views so I started browsing through these folders and under library I found actor images in sub folders....needless to say it took sometime to find my missing actor image.

Having found that I did an actor refresh from within the movie and the actor image appeared under People>>>actors name which you would expect. But is it just possible that an actors image is being downloaded to the library folder then a sub folder rather than People>>>actors name during a refresh of the movie.  :P

Edited by geaves

• 2 weeks later...

The issue I'm having/seeing is that Emby has built up a nice list of people to search for that return no results. So the task runs, flies through that list of people and hits the timeout, then sits until the next night when it repeats itself.. unable to move passed them and on to anyone else.

I could be very wrong, but it seems like this could be solved just by slowing Emby's requests down a bit. TMDB seems to limit things to 30 requests every 10 seconds, doesn't seem like it would be hard to respect that limit and avoid the timeouts.

rickster53

At this point I would just like the problem to be acknowledged by the core team. Even if the problem can't be fixed right away, or requires discourse with TMDB. Just simply saying "Yes we confirm there is a problem, yes we're looking into it". A couple of users fumbling about in the logs doesn't amount to fuck all.

I agree. I think that's all most of us want at this point... Or,if there's something the devs want us to try, just let us know.