Unable to play music via Kodi plugin plus not picking up updated artwork

Pitchshift

Pitchshift

Installed on Amazon Fire Stick

Emby Server: Version 3.0.5781.1

Kodi Version: 15.2

Emby Kodi Addon Version: 1.1.39

Whenever I try play music via Kodi it will not play at all. I get the error "playback failed". I have the Emby app installed on my Amazon Fire stick and that cannot see my music library either. I can however play music using the Emby android app on my phone.

Also the Kodi addon also isn't picking up the latest artwork from my Emby server - how can I get it to re-fresh this? It shows correct on all the Emby apps I have (fire stick and android phone).

Please see the Kodi logs here: http://xbmclogs.com/pdwerfc0n

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Start from scratch. Please try the latest stable add-on version, 1.1.60. Update the add-on, then when it tells you to reset, you say yes to database and yes to emby info. When Kodi starts up, it will resync your content, hopefully everything will work correctly. Let me know.

Angelblue05

Make sure your emby paths are in this format: \\{computername}\path\to

We can't fallback to direct stream if your paths are incorrect, because the music library works differently from the video library. So your firestick needs to access your content directly OR use direct stream option before syncing your music* content.

Edited by Angelblue05

Pitchshift

I've not had chance to install the latest plugin but will test it tonight.

I've just checked my music library paths and they are {drive letter}\path\to. How can I do a mass update to match the format above? I have 12604 songs in my library so manually doing this is not viable.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

You need to follow this: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/703-how-to-make-unc-folder-shares/

Then reset and let your database rescan. Local drives - Kodi is looking at {drive letter}:\path\to and not finding the content. If Kodi is not going to  be installed on the same device as your server, you need to use network share so Kodi can find your content. Sorry that I couldn't reply sooner.

• Like 1

Pitchshift

OK got it. My movies all play fine not using shares. Should I re-set them up using the same shared folder technique?

Also a lot of my music metadata content was not picked up automatically in the scan so I've added my own images and bio, is there any way I can transfer that to the new music library I'm going to set up using a share?

Angelblue05

In which scan? The kodi scan? Can you give an example? 

Your content is probably direct streaming at the moment, to bypass the fact that Kodi can't find your files. To verify, just play something in Kodi and in the emby dashboard under active devices, mouseover the Kodi device.

If that is the case, you can set up the rest of your content the same way as for music, this way you'll be able to achieve direct play. 

Pitchshift

Sorry, I meant in the Emby server metadata scan when you add content. I don't want to loose the metadata I have inputed myself manually for my music content.

What is the best way for me to update my current media library from using local paths to shared area paths? Do I add the shared area paths along with the local area paths I have in there already or do I remove my current local paths and add just the shared area paths? If the latter how do I achieve this without loosing the metacontent I added myself?

Edited by Pitchshift
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

The easier way is the following:

You will share your media folders like in the link I shared above. Just follow the first post, ignore the second post.

In emby dashboard > library > path substitution, you will do this, for each media folders:

To: \\{computer name}\sharefolder\

Note if all of your media folders are located in one specific folder (d:\video\tv, d:\video\movies, etc), you can share the higher level folder only (d:\video), and do one path substitution From: d:\video\ To: \\computername\video\

This way you don't have to remove/readd your media folders. It should work right away, you can test your movies in Kodi to see if it's direct playing then (if you are using plugin paths, we retrieve the path at playback time, otherwise you will need to do a reset of your database to just test to see if it works). However I'm fairly confident this will resolve your issue.  :)

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Pitchshift

OK, so I've created shares for all the folders where my movies, TV and music is; then I've added them to the path substitution section. I then started my Kodi database from scratch but I'm still unable to play music. Movies and TV are playing fine.

Here's a new log: http://xbmclogs.com/pbp8sf2qh

Angelblue05

Movies and TV shows are direct playing? To verify go to your emby dashboard, under active devices, mouseover the Kodi while you are playing something. If it's not direct playing, then something is still incorrect where Kodi is unable to access your content. 

Remember that video and music library work differently. We can't use plugin paths for music, it will only accept direct paths. Your movies, tv shows, music video may playback correctly, because we have a direct stream fallback if Kodi is unable to locate the file to play.

Pitchshift

OK, so I've cleaned my database, re-installed the Emby Kodi plugin and started from scratch after setting up path substitutions on my Emby server. Music is now playing! Thanks for your help @@Angelblue05

• Like 1