TV Series Watched Indicators

moviefan

moviefan

If I watch a TV show the episode itself gets labeled with a watched indicator.

If I back out of the season folder where that episode is contained none of the higher level folders (season or series) ever reflect a change in the unwatched count indicators.

Also, if I add a new episode to an existing series, the unwatched count will not change on the series folder where it has been added, even though I can go in and select it by browsing and it is clearly unwatched.

In order to update these watched indicators I simply exit MBC and re-enter but I would prefer not to do this.  It would be nice if MB could simply refresh the watched indicators when I enter the TV section or just do it periodically.  It would be especially helpful for other users of my HTPC that arent aware of when new shows are being added.

This has been an issue for me ever since MB2.  I posted a thread about it in the old forums and made several comments but never received any replies.  I assume the behavior has to be the same for everyone as I have seen this across so many versions and different MB clients?

Edited by moviefan

I'm sure there are improvements that can be made here.  It is quite tricky to keep data like this up-to-date but still maintain good performance.

moviefan

Understood on the performance concerns and certainly don't want to impact performance just to have proper watched indicators.

Still, I definitely think it would enhance the overall experience if watched indicators would just automatically update when shows are added or watched without restarting MBC.

Do you think it would possible to run a process in MBC for those two events to force a refresh of the container that is being updated?

Scenario 1)  TV show is being played and is then stopped.  MBC would then just refresh the watched indicator for that Series and any Season folders from that Series.

Scenario 2) MBC detects that a new title is added.  It already shows a little popup in MB3 when this happens.  Could you also kickoff a process to update the watched indicator on whatever TV show was added?

This seems like it would have minimal impact on performance but potentially also accomplish the goal of having accurate watched counts.  Or is this a crazy idea?

All those things are actually already in place.  It is just a matter of all the other components properly adjusting to the situation.

Plus, you have the issue with our disconnected architecture that some things that are changed/added aren't actually loaded into the client side at the time they are modified - so we ignore them.  However, the parents of those items are loaded and have information pre-fetched like the number of unwatched items.  So, there are just a lot of different permutations to work through.

moviefan

Hmmm interesting that you are doing this already.

Tonight I actually watched the NEW Item watched indicator for a couple of shows automatically update as they were added and the notification came up.  It still didnt work as marking it watched on the series folder after I watched the episode but at least one of the things is working.  Did something change because this wasn't working very recently?

• 4 months later...
ulrick65

I am having this same issue and was wondering if anything has (or is going to) change with this?  The watched indicators, and the ability to jump directly to the first watched item is a very integral part of watching TV on my media center.  I can not rely on these to be correct, so I constantly have to drill down into TV shows to find out if I have any new episodes to watch...which is less than fun.