Cannot Find File

Dizzy49

Dizzy49

I set up Emby for Kodi (14.1) on my Matricom G-Box Q.

The sync appeared to go fine, and I can see all of my movies and shows.  However, when I go to play anything (movies or TV) I get a box saying the file is no longer available and should it be removed from the library.

No sure what's going on.  Suggestions?

Angelblue05

If you use direct paths in the add-on, you need to ensure your emby library paths are properly formatted so Kodi can directly access your content without the input of our add-on.

Go to your emby dashboard > library > paths for your media folders. Make sure they are formatted in that way \\{computer name}\networkshare. If they are not, then you will have to add path substitutions in the same place (path substitution tab in emby).

If you are unsure about the path substitution, just let me know your paths to movies and I'll let you know how to set it up in Emby.

Dizzy49

My paths on my Emby server are like "D:\Video\TV"

I added a path substitution for "D:\Video\TV" to "//Deathstar/Video/TV"

In the add-on, I have "Use local paths instead of addon redirect for playback" checked.

I'm still getting the error.  Do I need to do a reimport?

Angelblue05

The path substitution needs to be with backward slashes like so: \\DeathStar\Video\TV

Yes, you will need to resync your library since we import the paths directly instead of plugin paths which works as placeholders.

Dizzy49

The path substitution needs to be with backward slashes like so: \\DeathStar\Video\TV

Yes, you will need to resync your library since we import the paths directly instead of plugin paths which works as placeholders.

I did the slashes correctly in the subs tab.  Will reimport now.  thanks!

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Yeah ok, logs won't really help because you are using direct paths. :)

In emby path substitution, you can do the following since all your folders reside inside your Video folder:

From

D:\Video\

To

\\DeathStar\Video\

Then in Kodi - via launching emby for kodi, do a reset of your local database. Your content will resync, and it should have proper paths.

Dizzy49

Yeah ok, logs won't really help because you are using direct paths. :)

In emby path substitution, you can do the following since all your folders reside inside your Video folder:

From

D:\Video\

To

\\DeathStar\Video\

Then in Kodi - via launching emby for kodi, do a reset of your local database. Your content will resync, and it should have proper paths.

I did that: 

5643d2ffc0ba5_Screenshot_1.png

Still getting the same error :(

Angelblue05

Ok, well I'm not going to lie, it's way easier to figure this out if you switch to plugin paths. Direct paths needs to be correct for them to work in Kodi. With plugin paths, we retrieve the path at playback time, so you can test without needing to reset your database every time you modify your paths to find what will work.

Can you go in the add-on settings > sync options > disable local paths instead of add-on redirect? Then reset your database. Then resync your content, try to playback something and post that Kodi log, because it will contain information since the add-on controls what happens at playback.

Thanks

Dizzy49

Ok, I switched to the plug in paths, and when I tried to play I got the following error:

"Warning: Unable to direct play."

Play from HTTP?

Here is the log: http://xbmclogs.com/pyaixxhxj

I played from HTTP and it appeared to play fine for the couple minutes I watched.  Before I upgraded my server I got this far, and the video was slow slow and laggy that it was completely unwatchable.  I checked the server, and it did not appear to be putting ANY load on the CPU.  So I think this will work, but now I am curious of the benefit of direct paths, and why it wouldn't work.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Did you put your network credentials in the add-on settings? I think that's why you are unable to get direct play. Kodi is unable to access your share, because otherwise, your paths looks fine.

Dizzy49

Yes I have my network credentials in the add-on settings.  I even reconnected them on my desktop to verify the user/pass.

What are the advantages of using direct play vs http?  Trying to determine if it's worth it to continue.

Angelblue05

@@Dizzy49

They are pretty similar: direct play - Kodi will initiate playback, direct stream - Emby feeds the file to Kodi without modifications. I think the only difference is how external subtitles are named. For direct play to work, Kodi needs to be able to access your files.

One last thing you can try to get direct play working is this (do not add any directories): Go to Videos > Files > Add videos...> Navigate via SMB > go to your share, if Kodi asks you for password at any time, enter it and press ok. Then back out (press cancel on the navigation dialog). If Kodi didn't ask you for network credentials, then you can remove them from your add-on settings. Let me know :)

Edited by Angelblue05