Android TV / Fire TV / Roku 4 Performance

andstein85

I bought the fire tv box for 85.00 on sale at best buy a few days ago. I'm starting to get some bsod on my roku 3 stick so It was time. I'm in a amazon tax state and best buy matches there price. It saved amazon a cardboard box and fuel to ship it along with me having to recycle it. I love being green.

The biggest pain was sitting there clicking away entering my credentials for my wifi, amazon prime and netflix. After that it was a breeze. I think the picture looks better than my roku stick. Yeah the interface favors amazon but hey it's there box. Alexa, should work very well for finding music.  The emby app downloaded and installed with no issues. I think the picture is way better than the roku stick. No buffering is nice also. For me I had no trouble with the interface. I found everything and had no issues at all playing any of my media.

My only gripe is the same as it is for everything non wmc. The remote functions are poor for ff and rr. The wife and I have been spoiled my how well wmc's remote functions work. The wife wife is going to stay with wmc to the very last minute. Even next pvr's remote ff and rr are poor.

Great job with the app Luke and EBR thank you

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback.

I assume this was one of the 4k models.  I notice a marked improvement in picture quality with that box over the other ones (haven't tested Shield yet - it may be comparable).

yes its the 4k model. I don't have a 4K TV but the picture was a marked improvement over the roku 3 stick. I know some have had some issues connecting to the emby server, for me I had no issues at all and the playback was excellent. With amazon raising there free shipping to 49.00 saving 15% on the fire tv to replace my roku was a no brainer. Probably more of a gimmick than all that useful but alexia integrates into my Omma phone.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi @@andstein85

The latest beta version of the Emby app offers improved playback, refresh rate switching, and all the HD Audio pass-through you need. Check out the beta thread for more details:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42239-android-tv-beta-13x/

We think you'll enjoy the next update to the stable channel. Thanks !