emby and ipv6

emby-pass

emby-pass

Hi,

I successfully set up emby on debian, and so far I am in love with it. However, as I happen to be behind carrier-grade NAT, i need emby to be ipv6 capable, otherwise i won´t be able to access it from outside of my network (no, i don´t want to use tunneling by any means). Informations about ipv6 and emby are extremely rare, there are no options on emby itself, and the documentation doesn´t mention ipv6 at all. I found one discussion though (http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/16857-ipv6-support-in-server-and-clients/), from which it seems that emby should in theory run on ipv6. 

Nevertheless i am not able to connect to emby via ipv6, and netstat reveals that emby is not listening on ipv6:

root@debian-plex:/mnt/video# netstat -lntup
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:46579           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      512/Plex Plug-in [c
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:32469           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      561/Plex DLNA Serve
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      440/sshd        
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8920            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      850/mono-sgen   
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:52698         0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      632/0           
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:445             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      513/smbd        
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8096            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      850/mono-sgen   
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:1222            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      561/Plex DLNA Serve
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:139             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      513/smbd        
tcp6       0      0 :::32400                :::*                    LISTEN      467/Plex Media Serv
tcp6       0      0 :::32401                :::*                    LISTEN      467/Plex Media Serv
tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN      440/sshd        
tcp6       0      0 ::1:52698               :::*                    LISTEN      632/0           
tcp6       0      0 :::445                  :::*                    LISTEN      513/smbd        
tcp6       0      0 :::139                  :::*                    LISTEN      513/smbd        

IPv6 becomes more and more relevant, yet it saddens me that most software is not really capable of supporting a standard defined 17 years ago.

Am i missing something, or is there actually a lack of ipv6 support in emby?

Greetings

Edited by emby-pass

emby-pass

I am not even getting anywhere close to emby apps, there is nothing to be seen visually. I am able to connect to emby (for example in my browser) via ipv4, but not via ipv6 (as netstat clearly shows that emby is not listening on any ipv6 address), let alone connecting a client via ipv6.

For more informations see attached log.

Log.txt

The problem is that emby is listening on a IPv4 only socket instead of using IPv6 sockets. This means that the internal code logic needs to be changed to allow listening on IPv6. There is no specific log entries for this, since this is the expected behavior of the current codebase.

So in essence we are talking about a feature request here.

• Like 1

emby-pass

Thank you. I already thought that I had lost my ability to articulate myself.

Regarding the feature request, as said earlier, this user claims that he was able to connect to the webinterface via ipv6 merely a year ago. Hence i assumed ipv6 would already be supported on emby.

Edited by emby-pass

Regarding the feature request, as said earlier, this user claims that he was able to connect to the webinterface via ipv6 merely a year ago. Hence i assumed ipv6 would already be supported on emby.

If that was true I haven't seen it so far, but then again, I've been an user for less than a year now.

I've been using IPv6 in my network for quite some time and I did try it initially, but since the socket was IPv4 only and I didn't have time back then, I fell back to IPv4 only. I'd love to see IPv6 support in the future though.

emby-pass

Luke, what is your opinion on this topic?

An increasing number of users don´t have a public IPv4 address anymore, and for being able to access their emby server from outside of their network they have to use portmapper or some sort of vpn. This is not only very inconvinient, but also unnecessary, as the effort to support ipv6 would propably not be very high.

This topic also has been discussed almost a year ago, but it seems that it has not drawn your attention back then.

Is this actually a feature request (as in: there is absolutely no IPv6 support in emby)? If this is the case, i´d post a new thread in the feature request for apps section, although at first this is more of a server side modification.

I do agree that this should be moved to feature requests, since this applies to all platforms, not only to Windows. I verified the problem on Linux.

As a side note: I know this isn't constructive, but I found it amusing and somewhat on topic:

CS_ZCieXAAAFlZv.png

Edited by ressu

• 2 weeks later...
Pugnator

I had to switch to Plex because of the fact that Emby doesn't support IPv6 :( (my new ISP is only offering DS-Lite). In Plex you can activate IPv6-support on the server-side and connect via a custom server access url (which makes it possible to connect per IPv6-portmapper). If Emby would support IPv6 I would not hesitate to switch back :).

Happy2Play

I had to switch to Plex because of the fact that Emby doesn't support IPv6 :( (my new ISP is only offering DS-Lite). In Plex you can activate IPv6-support on the server-side and connect via a custom server access url (which makes it possible to connect per IPv6-portmapper). If Emby would support IPv6 I would not hesitate to switch back :).

It is being worked on in the current dev cycle.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...
dcook

First thing I do when setting up a new server or computer is disable ip6

All the fear mongering by the press about running out of ip4 addresses, they have been saying that for years and years

any news regarding the ipv6 support? would be really nice :)

already implemented, for Windows at least.

dragon2611

First thing I do when setting up a new server or computer is disable ip6

All the fear mongering by the press about running out of ip4 addresses, they have been saying that for years and years

The cost of IPv4 is increasing due to it, it used to be you could rent a server with 8 or more IP's thrown in, these-days most providers want to charge you per IP above the 1 included (You'll usually want more than 1 if you are running vm's esp if you don't have your own H/W router infront of the server) 

we are waiting on full ipv6 support in the mono runtime. i have seen some changes in the upcoming mono 4.4 relating to it so we'll see what happens there.