IPv6 support in server and clients

techywarrior

techywarrior

Apparently my ISP has run out of IPv4 addresses and has now assigned private IP addresses to all connections (basically they are doing NAT like your $100 router does on a larger scale).

Remote connections on IPv4 no longer work but they told me that we can connect remotely using IPv6. Now, that's not great at the moment because not only does MB3 not currently support IPv6 but what are the chances right now that the remote location I am at will be using IPv6 :(

Anyway, can IPv6 support be added, or enabled, in MBS and all the clients? MB Connect would probably also need to be updated to support IPv6.

I don't know how much work it will be but it should seriously be considered because obviously IPv6 is the future and more and more locations are going to be doing what my ISP did as they increase subscribers.

• Like 3

Other than some issues that we've discovered from certain providers, IPv6 should work now I think...

techywarrior

I thought you were just having problems with people access the website using IPv6. Not actually connecting to their MB3 server.

If it is true that I can use IPv6 right now, how? MBS is passing IPv4 addresses to the client to connect with remotely. I'm even trying to enter the IPv6 IP of my server internally and I can't connect. Although honestly I'm not sure how to specify the port in the browser with IPv6. I only know how to go to a IPv6 address. Still looking and testing but if MBS is listening on IPv6 already then I think that the API should be updated to pass the IPv6 address along with the local and IPv4 addresses (and maybe display it in the dashboard along with the IPv4?).

Edited by techywarrior

techywarrior

Ok, I can connect to MBS via IPv6 in a web browser. I guess it would be good to have the IPv6 address added to the API so clients can use it to try and connect.

techywarrior

I was able to get my ISP to assign me an IPv4 address so I can access my media again but I'd like to see the API add the IPv6 address so that clients can try that first (unless they are able to know whether they can use IPv6 ahead of time) and fall back to IPv4. Or have some sort of setting as to which to prefer.

I haven't tried but it may be possible to trick the apps and server into doing this by using the IPv6 address as the DDNS value in the server dashboard but the problem is that there is still not widespread IPv6 support so we really need a way for the client to be able to use both the IPv6 and IPv4 addresses.

The first step is obviously Luke adding IPv6 to the API and displaying in the web dashboard. Then clients can start to implement it and eventually MB Connect will need to be aware of the IPv6 address as well.

I don't think it's actually a huge change and will eventually be required anyway.

Edited by techywarrior

Vicpa

Hi @ @techywarrior

IPv6 is actually a big deal in my world and frankly even "frustrates" ( PG explicative  as required by the Film board) me more if I am following your posts correctly.

Some clients can't use IPv6 because it is not in the API ? "Say it isn't so, Joe" (<-American Movie ref).

I have worked on IPv6 connectivity issues off and for a couple of months, mostly with @@bigjohn. He seems to be the only one who gets it. Made requests to make it optional, suggested one approach, etc .... nothing

Finally resulted to brute force and put the ipv4 addresses in a local host files on all my machines. I can sympathize with @@ebr having to "tow the company line" ...well.. shucks.. you see its only a problem with certain providers. or if you prefer "wink ,wink, nod, nod and Bob's your uncle'. I don't think it is his issue to fix either.

As you can guess I am using one of those 'certain providers" only probably the largest in the US. What I think is missing is that most non technical people should not be expected to report IPv6 problems. It is either miss reported or the get frustrated and just give up.

I realize that there higher priorities, effecting more people, requiring immediate attention. For example support for playing and recognizing media in rar files. There was one guy somewhere who really needed that, probably someone's uncle. 

apologies for the rant, tried to inject some humor, just thought you should know, hoping being a developer you will have some more influence. on the powers that be. 

thanks

-vicpa

Edited by Vicpa

techywarrior

haha, I have just as little influence as you :)

It's not so much as the clients don't support IPv6 but since the server only tells the client about the IPv4 local and remote address the clients aren't trying IPv6. I think it is a fairly minor change for Luke to add IPv6 address to the connection details in the API and then the clients can be updated to try that address.

I'm not even sure if Luke is aware of this thread but I figure we can draw his attention after the current stable release is out. Hopefully it can get added in the API for the next release cycle and then the clients can slowly add it.