Version 3.0.5768.1 - Parental Control issues

DGMayor

DGMayor

Seems to be an issue with parental controls.   My kids' accounts has nothing in it.  As soon as I remove parental controls, it all shows up.  Put parental controls back on, and it's gone again.

Do you have "Block items with no rating information" selected?

If so, is it possible a top-level folder got an invalid rating value in it?

DGMayor

Yes, block unrated is on, always has been. I've literally touched nothing other than the Emby beta update last night.  I'll look, but if something changed, it didn't come from me..

Edited by DGMayor

it is something we changed two releases ago actually. previously if the system didn't recognize a rating, it would just allow access to everyone. So for example, if a rating had a typo and was PG-12. Now we've changed that so that these ratings are considered unrated and they get caught by the block unrated filter. So chances are you have some titles with unrecognized ratings, or possibly  a parent folder with unrecognized ratings.

DGMayor

it is something we changed two releases ago actually. previously if the system didn't recognize a rating, it would just allow access to everyone. So for example, if a rating had a typo and was PG-12. Now we've changed that so that these ratings are considered unrated and they get caught by the block unrated filter. So chances are you have some titles with unrecognized ratings, or possibly  a parent folder with unrecognized ratings.

So if it changed two releases ago, and I haven't touched metadata for anything, specifically the two media folders my kids can access (kids TV and kids movies), shouldn't I have had this issue two releases ago?  I've gone through everything and I see no typos.

I disabled the block unrated for TV and Movies, still nothing.  I have to disable parental controls all together for anything to show up.   

Also, I'm now on 3.0.5768.2

DGMayor

So yeah, I have to uncheck all "block unrated" options even though they only have access to movies and TV..   I still don't understand why this didn't start two versions ago if that's when the change was, and why I'm having an issue if nothing they have access to has any incorrect ratings or no ratings.

There are some that have no ratings but do have proper custom ratings.  Is it checking those?

You must have never actually updated to the last release.  That's why you are just encountering this now.

DGMayor

You must have never actually updated to the last release.  That's why you are just encountering this now.

It auto-updates and I've been on Beta since the intro of MB3/Emby.   

• Like 1

I'm now on 3.0.5768.2

I'm having this same issue as well.  Can't tell you when it started however, since the kids use Kodi and IOS mostly.  But I was changing a TV show rating to a custom rating for my son and it still wouldn't show up for him, so in troubleshooting why, i ran across this issue.

My son's parental controls had all checked under the "Block content with no rating information:".  What I have found is if I keep Others checked, the issue occurs.  If I uncheck Others, all the libraries show up (and respecting parental control settings). 

DGMayor

I'm now on 3.0.5768.2

I'm having this same issue as well.  Can't tell you when it started however, since the kids use Kodi and IOS mostly.  But I was changing a TV show rating to a custom rating for my son and it still wouldn't show up for him, so in troubleshooting why, i ran across this issue.

My son's parental controls had all checked under the "Block content with no rating information:".  What I have found is if I keep Others checked, the issue occurs.  If I uncheck Others, all the libraries show up (and respecting parental control settings). 

My kids use Emby classic almost daily.  It didn't start for me until 3.0.5768.0.

crashkelly

I can confirm this as well

On Version 3.0.5768.1 and if I select items under "Block Content with no rating information" nothing at all shows up.

Did notice that there is a Version 3.0.5768.2 up but I have to wait until the wife finishes Downton Abbey before I can apply :)

Will see if it still exists there once I am updated

Thanks

CrashKelly

Just updated and the issue still exists.

Not sure if it will help but here is the log file from right after the update and then me logging in as him with items checked and with no items checked

server-63580787612.txt

Edited by crashkelly

if you grab dev build 3.0.5769.33994, it will print out logging messages when content gets blocked due to unrecognized ratings.

you'll need debug logging on and they will look like

{0} has an unrecognized parental rating of {1}.
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

Do you have "Block items with no rating information" selected?

If so, is it possible a top-level folder got an invalid rating value in it?

Has everyone checked this?  Testing, as soon as I added a value to the library folder it appeared.  I only added to custom rating.

crashkelly

if you grab dev build 3.0.5769.33994, it will print out logging messages when content gets blocked due to unrecognized ratings.

you'll need debug logging on and they will look like

{0} has an unrecognized parental rating of {1}.

Will try this after dinner. Wife's show is done so I have to go help now :mellow:

Has everyone checked this?  Testing, as soon as I added a value to the library folder it appeared.  I only added to custom rating.

I don't think so because i think they're just convinced there is a problem with the new release, so they are just waiting for a fix :)

Confirmed, putting back Block content for "Others", and then selecting Movies top folder in metadata manager, adding a raring of G to the customer rating, and movies now shows for the kids account.

Interestingly enough, all TV channels are blocked until you set a rating for each and every show channel. haha I think the right solution here (for me) is to keep the "Others" unchecked/not blocked.

Edited by Kent

crashkelly

I can confirm that setting a rating at the top level of the library brings back the content. Not a big deal to do, but I guess I am just unsure of why it would be that way.

Cheers

CrashKelly

EDIT: Ok, I guess I get. Blocking unrated contented and the entire library is "unrated" at the highest level of the tree so nothing shows. Cheers

Edited by crashkelly

well that's not quite right. if the rating is truly empty for a folder, it should not block everything underneath.

DGMayor

I don't think so because i think they're just convinced there is a problem with the new release, so they are just waiting for a fix :)

You don't consider the root folder all of a sudden requiring a rating for the block unrated content to function properly an issue?   Since when do we put ratings on top level library folders?

Didn't refresh, looks like you're seeing the issue now.

Edited by DGMayor

we'll still need logs from the build i put up so that you can help us learn where it's getting blocked. thanks.

Immediate work around is to uncheck the Others under the Block Content list.  This removes the need to have a rating for each folder, and in the case of Live TV, each channel.

crashkelly

we'll still need logs from the build i put up so that you can help us learn where it's getting blocked. thanks.

Would be happy to run a few tests with that dev build.

Is moving back to the current beta as easy as reinstalling it overtop the dev build?

Thanks