Total Noob - How to set up Kodi/Genesis addon/Emby from fresh install

Jayloki

Hi all,

Tried out Emby to try to get all my Kodi machines and boxes synced together. Worked for a few days then stopped. Now it will not update any new TV Shows in the library.( I have no actual files on the Windows 2012 server, just links to online streaming links). I've been incrementally changing Kodi/Emby/Genesis setting to see if it works but to no avail.

I am asking for some help to get a plain jane vanilla Kodi set up on my Windows 10 machine with Genesis and Emby being the only add ons installed.

I am using a windows 2012 home server to house my Library folder(shared in Windows to be seen from all Kodi devices).

I have scoured for exact step by step instructions on how to set Emby up with Kodi but other than the YouTube video, nothing specific.

I need some expert help on the following questions:

1) Is there any specific order to install things?  Kodi first I would assume, then Genesis, then create your library, then install Emby server then the client software on my Windows 10 machine?

2) Must I turn off all and ANY Library updating and content-type settings in Kodi before or after installing Emby? Do I leave Kodi set up in it's default settings???

Please if anyone using Windows, Kodi, Genesis add on and Emby can help me out , you'd be saving whats left of my hair! ;)

Thanks in advance!!

-Jay-

xnappo

Please see how to report a problem thread.  Genesis is a banned Kodi app - so we don't support it, but sounds like something is wrong with Emby in general.  Follow the 'how to report a problem' steps and we can help.

I assume everything looks correct through web client...

As far as your setup - you must NOT have any paths set up in Kodi to your storage area to scrape  - if Kodi tries to 'scrape' the same paths as Emby bad things will happen for sure.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

Simple:

0) Uninstall current Kodi and delete out all Kodi references from your image.

1) Install Kodi stable (Isengard NOT Jarvis), make NO changes to default settings!

2) Install Emby Addon via the stable repo. Confgure Emby addon to your preference (SMB share access, music preference, sync preferences, etc).  Sync to Emby server. Restart.

3) Install a Emby addon Skin. I recommend Artic Zypher: Exploded. Test Skin, configure skin, make sure it works....then...

Test out Emby, make sure it all works.

THEN start fiddling with Kodi settings, installing other add-ons, etc.

Edited by Kent

Hi folks,

Sorry for using the "G" word up there. Wasn't aware of that add-on's status.

I guess my question is can Emby sync and share across my home network, links to tv shows etc etc?  

I don't mean a hard drive with a bunch of movie or tv show files on it, but actual tv show information from the kodi library (.STRM files I think they are called)???

Thanks again!

Angelblue05

Just add the strm folder (properly structured) to your Emby library, then the add-on will sync them to your kodi as part of your main library.

This is what I did with netflixbmc. I created an emby library section that points to the folder where netflixbmc adds the strm files in. Then Emby adds them to my library. The Emby add-on then adds them to Kodi. As long as I have netflixbmc installed on Kodi, it will be able to read the strm file. Hope this helps.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1