Several Suggestions from a New User

theusedversion

theusedversion

So I'm a relatively new user and am loving the software thus far.  I was using a competing software program before coming to Emby and there are a few features that I am now missing that I would love to have in Emby.

• Sortable Cast
    I would really love the ability to sort the cast the way that I want them to show up.  For instance, putting all of my favorite actors and actresses in a movie at the top.  Or giving priority to cast members with photos.  And then to also have this reflect in Kodi and Emby Theatre would be great if possible.
  • Sortable Metadata Manager lists
    You just add 20 movies to your collection and then you need to edit their genres or photos or whatever and it's really difficult to find the movies (or remember them all) without a way to sort the list by "Date Added".  That would make editing so much easier.  Another idea for a sortable filter that I think would be useful is by "Missing Photos".  You could then have all the movies that are missing photos to show up together.  Just a thought.
  • Add an "Alternate Titles" section in Metadata Manager
    This is really useful for movies that go by more than one name (especially foreign movies).  Then whenever you search you don't have to worry about if you are using the correct name or not.  Is it Scrooge or A Christmas Story from 1951?
  • Genres Dropdown List in Metadata Manager
    Having to type in the genres each time is a bit cumbersome.  A drop down list of all existing genres that you have would make life so much easier.  And you could still type in genres to add new ones.
  • Connect Actors/Actresses with their real profile when adding to a movie
    When adding missing actors and actresses, there is no way to know if you are connecting the person to their actual profile or adding a new person to the list.  The way TMDb.org handles it is pretty great.  When you start typing in a name, a little pop-up of existing people comes up and then you can select the correct one.  Do I type in "Bingbing Fan" or "Fan Bingbing" because one is correct and the other is not? :D
  • Collections Dropdown List in Metadata Manager
    Add a movie to an existing collection (or create a new one) within Metadata Manager.  Just select the collection from the list and it's automatically added and you can go to the next movie.  Much simpler.
  • Add Like, Dislike, Favorite, Watched in Metadata Manager
    Again for simplicity sake, you can set all of these options within Metadata Manager when you are editing movies.
  • Static Save Button in Metadata Manager
    Scrolling all the way to the top or bottom in Metadata Manager can be pain since the pages are so huge.  When you are editting a large collection, this becomes really painful and blister forming.  Instead have a static Save button show up on the screen at all times.  No need for scrolling.
  • Setting to make Latest Media Always Show Cover
    Sometimes Latest Media shows the cover.  Most times it shows the thumb or backdrop.  I would love the ability to have it always show the cover since some photos don't have thumbs or backdrops.  That way it would be uniform since I have a cover for every movie in my collection and always will.
  • Paid Cloud Database
    This is a feature that I am really going to miss.  The previous software I used allowed you to have a cloud database and even upload your own coverart for each title.  This is a great way to share your collection with people.  I don't mean uploading your movies.  Just an online database of what you have.  For example, check out my existing database here.  It's pretty sweet.  I understand that it would be a lot of work and should be a premium feature which I would most glady pay for.
    http://cloud.collectorz.com/theusedversion/movies?folder=genre&viewType=cover
  • Change Layout of the Metadata Manager Edit Screen
    The current layout doesn't make sense to me.  For instance, up top, you have Metacritic rating, votes, community votes.  Who needs to edit that info very often?  I imagine no one.  What should be up top are the genres and plot and actors/actresses.  I cut and pasted your existing layout to make something that I think makes more sense to me.  Of course, I am a bit limited to what I can do with that method.

zHonT7E.jpg
    And if you added "Collections" to the edit screen like my suggestion above then you could put it right under "Genres".  Like, Favorite, Watched could all go somewhere near the top as well (or possibly in the Ratings section).  I dislike how large and spaced out everything is but I assume that is probably to facilitate people who are using it from their couch and sit further away, correct? Now that I think about it, I would probably move the Website/Budget/Revenue section to below the Ratings section.

Anyways, I hope my suggestions will be seriously considered.  Again, I love the software so far.  Thank you. :)

Edited by theusedversion
  • Like 6

aspdend

Impressive newbie post there!

I agree with a lot of what you have posted - Especially No8 and No 11!

For the sortable actors - I would like to see them ranked in order of appearances in the library - so if you have more films with, say Vin Diesel in your library, he should appear first in the cast list as it is clear that you like films with him in them...

aspdend

Yay!  I'm glad you guys liked my suggestions. :)

In general I definitely do - not all though - I am not interested in a cloud based metadata database for example.

Some of the others I'm thinking - why didn't I suggest that before...It's a case of familiarity and acceptance I suppose - always good to get fresh perspectives...

Edited by aspdend

theusedversion

I would like to add another suggestion to the list.

12.  Filters for Collections
       Right now, all the movies in collections are just randomly thrown in there without any way to sort them.  At least make it alphabetical but all the filtering options that are available for movies would be nice.

13.  Account for Windows Taskbar on the Right and Left of the screen
       My Windows taskbar is on the left side of the screen and I believe this causes the Latest Movie section to show 9 per row instead of 10 so you get 2 rows of 9 movies and then another row of 2 movies.

Deathsquirrel

I'd really recommend posting one feature request per thread.  Otherwise people cant like the idea and the devs won't know the level of community support for it.

• Like 1

theusedversion

I'd really recommend posting one feature request per thread.  Otherwise people cant like the idea and the devs won't know the level of community support for it.

I can understand that but 13 threads would have been a bit too much, wouldn't it? I will keep that in mind in the future though.

Deathsquirrel

I can understand that but 13 threads would have been a bit too much, wouldn't it? I will keep that in mind in the future though.

No, if you have 13 suggestion 13 threads is the right number if you want the best possible shot of getting any of them added.

As-is let's say I like 3 of your ideas and hate one.  I can't like the thread, I might be thought to be endorsing something I think is a bad idea or several on which I have no opinion so I don't vote at all.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

Koleckai Silvestri

How would #7 work with multiple users? My favorites are not the same as my wife's favorites or even our three adult kids. We all track our own favorites, like, dislike and watched status through our own accounts.

theusedversion

How would #7 work with multiple users? My favorites are not the same as my wife's favorites or even our three adult kids. We all track our own favorites, like, dislike and watched status through our own accounts.

I had no idea it even kept track of that data separately.  I'm a single user so I wouldn't know.

Edit:  It's not a big deal anyways.  Selecting those options on the little popup that comes up when you hover over a title is pretty quick. 

Edited by theusedversion