New user a bit, no VERY, confused with Android smartphone

bibichon

Hello anyone out there

Although I am keen and try my best, I regret I am very much stuck and cannot decode much of the official and forum based help and advice. I have successfully (I think) established Emby on my home PC and have my music collection embedded OK. I have also discovered by chance that I can play my collection on my nearby Sony TV when I am connected to my (?) server on my PC. Wow, excellent!

However, I have a new android Samsung smartphone and believe I downloaded the correct Emby app. Yesterday I somehow managed to access my music collection on my mobile phone but only when the Emby server on my PC was connected. Today I can't.

My questions are;

Is the Emby service designed to be able to access the media on my PC's hard drive on my smartphone or other device when I'm away from home and my PC (and therefore my Emby server) is not on and if so what kind of set up should I have on my PC and/or smartphone to allow me to do this? Have I missed the point about what Emby is or is there something technical that I have got wrong?

I may be a lost cause but any guidance is gratefully accepted.

Thank you

Michael

welcome. at the moment, no, you need to have your emby server running, but such options are something we might explore in the future.

Hello anyone out there

Although I am keen and try my best, I regret I am very much stuck and cannot decode much of the official and forum based help and advice. I have successfully (I think) established Emby on my home PC and have my music collection embedded OK. I have also discovered by chance that I can play my collection on my nearby Sony TV when I am connected to my (?) server on my PC. Wow, excellent!

However, I have a new android Samsung smartphone and believe I downloaded the correct Emby app. Yesterday I somehow managed to access my music collection on my mobile phone but only when the Emby server on my PC was connected. Today I can't.

My questions are;

Is the Emby service designed to be able to access the media on my PC's hard drive on my smartphone or other device when I'm away from home and my PC (and therefore my Emby server) is not on and if so what kind of set up should I have on my PC and/or smartphone to allow me to do this? Have I missed the point about what Emby is or is there something technical that I have got wrong?

I may be a lost cause but any guidance is gratefully accepted.

Thank you

Michael

Sounds like you want something like "Google play music" where you can upload up to 50000 songs and access them for free at any time Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

Many thanks to admin. and to Vidman. Great help and advice. Currently uploading some 5000 tracks (only rather modest 30GB collection so far) to Google Play while listening via the pre-installed app on smartphone. My beloved iRiver MP3 player only has 20GB so this solution is great. Thanks once again and I will continue to use Emby at home.