Fedora 22: epel-release install fails

jupiter

I'm trying to install emby on fedora 22 server using the instructions found here. http://emby.media/downloads/linux-server/

When I run either  sudo yum install epel-release, or sudo dnf install epel-release  I recieve 

sudo dnf install epel-release
Last metadata expiration check performed 0:36:40 ago on Tue Sep 22 20:53:28 2015.
No package epel-release available.
Error: Unable to find a match.

I went as far as to add a different epel repository. That shouldn't be necessary since the epel repository is provided by fedora.

I tried continuing the install, It appears to hang up on the ImageMagick version on  both yum and dnf

sudo dnf install emby-server
Last metadata expiration check performed 0:52:24 ago on Tue Sep 22 21:07:01 2015.
Error: package emby-server-3.0.5724.5-310.1.noarch requires ImageMagick >= 6.9.0, but none of the providers can be installed
(try to add '--allowerasing' to command line to replace conflicting packages)
[mbaker@@MediaServer yum.repos.d]$ sudo yum install emby-server
Yum command has been deprecated, redirecting to '/usr/bin/dnf install emby-server'.
See 'man dnf' and 'man yum2dnf' for more information.
To transfer transaction metadata from yum to DNF, run:
'dnf install python-dnf-plugins-extras-migrate && dnf-2 migrate'

Last metadata expiration check performed 0:52:48 ago on Tue Sep 22 21:07:01 2015.
Error: package emby-server-3.0.5724.5-310.1.noarch requires ImageMagick >= 6.9.0, but none of the providers can be installed

Hopefully its an easy fix. Any Ideas?

How did you install EPEL?

You can try with this command:

$ sudo yum install https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-7.noarch.rpm

And by the way are you running Fedora Server 22 x64 or the 32-bit version?

Please confirm this running the following command and posting it's output here:

$ sudo lsb_release -a

If you are running the 32-bit version then you will hit a dead end since we only provide 64-bit packages and hence why dnf and yum may not be able to find ImageMagick.

I'm running 64bit. 

sudo lsb-release -a    =

$ sudo lsb_release -a

LSB Version: :core-4.1-amd64:core-4.1-noarch:cxx-4.1-amd64:cxx-4.1-noarch:desktop-4.1-amd64:desktop-4.1-noarch:languages-4.1-amd64:languages-4.1-noarch:printing-4.1-amd64:printing-4.1-noarch

Distributor ID: Fedora

Description: Fedora release 22 (Twenty Two)

Release: 22

Codename: TwentyTwo

Installing Epel using your command, with yum switched out for dnf worked

Last metadata expiration check performed 1:00:55 ago on Wed Sep 23 11:57:19 2015.

Dependencies resolved.

===================================================================

Package           Arch        Version     Repository         Size

Installing:

epel-release      noarch      7-5         @commandline       14 k

Transaction Summary

Install  1 Package

Total size: 14 k

Installed size: 24 k

Is this ok [y/N]: y

Downloading Packages:

Running transaction check

Transaction check succeeded.

Running transaction test

Transaction test succeeded.

Running transaction

Installing  : epel-release-7-5.noarch                        1/1 

Verifying   : epel-release-7-5.noarch                        1/1 

Installed:

epel-release.noarch 7-5                                          

Complete!

Unfortunately when continuing and installing emby-server using either DNF, or YUM it hits a roadblock with Epel.  the epel 27862d.... file is no longer a bz2 file, but a directory. (see more below)

sudo dnf install emby-server

Failed to open: /var/cache/dnf/epel-2b6dfc5904c26562/repodata/27862d3582bb8f4caee76905d1bb53a487287d42a4718075736ee048e866c222-updateinfo.xml.bz2.

[mbaker@@MediaServer ~]$ sudo yum install emby-server

Yum command has been deprecated, redirecting to '/usr/bin/dnf install emby-server'.

See 'man dnf' and 'man yum2dnf' for more information.

To transfer transaction metadata from yum to DNF, run:

'dnf install python-dnf-plugins-extras-migrate && dnf-2 migrate'

Failed to open: /var/cache/dnf/epel-2b6dfc5904c26562/repodata/27862d3582bb8f4caee76905d1bb53a487287d42a4718075736ee048e866c222-updateinfo.xml.bz2.

I checked for the file its missing. 

ls -l

total 82832

drwxr-xr-x. 1 root root       40 Sep 23 12:53 epel-2b6dfc5904c26562

The file is no longer a bz2 file. It is now a directory containing

drwxr-xr-x. 1 root root       40 Sep 23 12:53 epel-2b6dfc5904c26562

-rw-r--r--. 1 root root  6933774 Sep 23 12:53 epel-filenames.solvx

-rw-r--r--. 1 root root  2962744 Sep 23 12:53 epel.solv

No Change after running the clean

]$ sudo dnf clean all
[sudo] password for mbaker: 
Cleaning repos: epel fedora rpmfusion-free-updates fedora-HandBrake
              : rpmfusion-free updates google-chrome home_emby
Cleaning up Everything

Resolving download.opensuse.org (download.opensuse.org)... 195.135.221.134, 2001:67c:2178:8::13
Connecting to download.opensuse.org (download.opensuse.org)|195.135.221.134|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 249 [text/plain]
Saving to: ‘/etc/yum.repos.d/emby.repo’

/etc/yum.repos.d/em 100%[=====================>]     249  --.-KB/s   in 0s     

2015-09-25 11:29:16 (36.2 MB/s) - ‘/etc/yum.repos.d/emby.repo’ saved [249/249]

]$ sudo dnf install emby-server
Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 7 - x86_64  2.0 MB/s | 9.1 MB     00:04    
Failed to open: /var/cache/dnf/epel-2b6dfc5904c26562/repodata/2e6395201c7a8274b87a57afd1a011c83cad9b7fb4ce55ef342336fed890e321-updateinfo.xml.bz2.

So it's very clear that you have a problem with EPEL repo. I'm not currently using Fedora 22 but I will try to test it on my own.

Can you try Fedora 21 or CentOS 7? We support both platforms and I was able to install Emby on both of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by fc7

You may also want to try removing EPEL repo since another user could install Emby without the need of EPEL in F22

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raven-au

You may also want to try removing EPEL repo since another user could install Emby without the need of EPEL in F22

I suspect the further away from the Fedora release on which RHEL was based on the more problems you will get.

It's probably also best to get away from the need for external packages that have different versions to the Fedora packages and to build the package on a machine with the Fedora release it is intended to be used on.

The biggest issue with that is having a compatible mono package so this probably could only be attempted from Fedora 23 and on.

Then there's ffmpeg, that (and it's friends) would need to be built from source as part of the Emby package build since it is only officially available from the rpmfusion repository, another external repository which may or may not be in use on the installers system.

Ian

I backed out the Epel-Release, then reinstalled emby-server.  Now I'm back to the ImageMagick 6.9 not installed error. 

last metadata expiration check performed 0:02:34 ago on Tue Sep 29 21:31:37 2015.
Error: package emby-server-3.0.5724.5-316.1.noarch requires ImageMagick >= 6.9.0, but none of the providers can be installed

sudo dnf list ImageMagick
Last metadata expiration check performed 0:03:20 ago on Tue Sep 29 21:31:37 2015.
Installed Packages
ImageMagick.x86_64                   6.8.8.10-9.fc22                   @System  
Available Packages
ImageMagick.src                      6.9.1-13.1                        home_emby
ImageMagick.x86_64                   6.9.1-13.1

I tried removing emby-server from repos and reinstalling.  I have tried removing image magick and letting it install it. I ran a clean and tried the install again.   What do I need to do to get the correct image magick, or get emby-server to recognize the imagemagick  I have. 

I think I have a missing dependancy but have no idea what it is. There are tons of posts listing this type of image Magick issue. Unfortunately not many resolutions.  Was really excited to get emby started.  Any other ideas?

raven-au

I backed out the Epel-Release, then reinstalled emby-server.  Now I'm back to the ImageMagick 6.9 not installed error. 

last metadata expiration check performed 0:02:34 ago on Tue Sep 29 21:31:37 2015.
Error: package emby-server-3.0.5724.5-316.1.noarch requires ImageMagick >= 6.9.0, but none of the providers can be installed

Did you check what requires ImageMagick?

Have you got gnome-photos installed?

There are bound to be annoying problems when a core package that is required by other packages needs to be replaced by another version of the package in an additional repository.

If you have gnome-photos installed remove it, then try removing ImageMagick and try the install again, it might work.

Otherwise you'll need to work out what is causing the conflict to resolve the problem.

Ian

raven-au

btw, if there aren't any major problems mono 4.0.1 and ImageMagick 6.9.1 will be in Fedora 23 so those additional packages won't be needed for it.

btw, if there aren't any major problems mono 4.0.1 and ImageMagick 6.9.1 will be in Fedora 23 so those additional packages won't be needed for it.

Those are good news.

On the other hand older distros like CentOS still needs them. In any case the package requires 6.9.1 and up of ImageMagick so it should be fine.

BTW to all users of Fedora 22, did you try to run our official Docker container?

Until we officially support Fedora 22 it's the best way to go if you need F22 and also want to try Emby. :)

raven-au

Those are good news.

On the other hand older distros like CentOS still needs them. In any case the package requires 6.9.1 and up of ImageMagick so it should be fine.

I can't help but wonder what it is in 6.9.1 that's needed?

Presumably there's one or more specific bug fixes.

It might be less problematic to add the bug fixes to the existing Fedora and RHEL packages since they should then be upgradable.

Or perhaps get the bug fixes applied to the Fedora 22 package itself.

My point is that if the later packages needed are dependencies of other packages in the distribution then there will always be annoying dependency problems since those other packages will have been built against the earlier package and yum (or dnf) will know that.

I guess it could also be done in a similar way to which it's done for QNAP NAS qpkgs, where the binaries (possibly also built) are placed in the package itself and LD_LIBRARY_PATH is used to ensure the required library is found instead of the distro. ones. That would probably require some changes to the server code to ensure it uses the binaries required.

But putting time into this might be better than the constant dependency madness that's, sadly, unavoidable.

Ian

raven-au

So I thought it would be interesting to try and install emby-server on F22.

# wget \
   http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/Fedora_22/home:emby.repo \
   -O /etc/yum.repos.d/emby.repo

# dnf install emby-server    # runs to completion and dependencies are installed
                             # as needed

# service emby-server start  # note that if the command is correct it will work
                             # for both SysV and Systemd systems 

It fails to start.

The log contains:

Can't find custom attr constructor image: /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/NLog.dll mtoken: 0x0a000359
Can't find custom attr constructor image: /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/NLog.dll mtoken: 0x0a000359
* Assertion at loader.c:1153, condition `!mono_loader_get_last_error ()' not met

Stacktrace:

at <unknown> <0xffffffff>
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.MonoCustomAttrs.IsDefinedInternal (System.Reflection.ICustomAttributeProvider,System.Type) <0xffffffff>
* Assertion at class.c:5753, condition `!mono_loader_get_last_error ()' not met

Aborted (core dumped)
Edited by raven-au