KODI and Remote question

Tranquil

Tranquil

Hi Forum!

I'm struggling with mapping my Vol+/- Remote Keys to the KODI internal volume control.

My remote (http://kodi.wiki/view/Remote_Control_Reviews#VRC-1100) is sending VK_Volume_Up and VK_Volume_Down keys, so I tried to map them with this keyboard.xml within Kodi:

<keymap>
   <global>
      <keyboard>
         <volume_up>volumeup</volume_up>
         <volume_down>volumedown</volume_down>
      </keyboard>
   </global>
</keymap> 

Unfortunately without success but it looks right to me. If I hit the remote button my system (windows 7) is changing the system value but KODI does not respond.

I also tried the keyboard addon within KODI. It reports completely other values (all the same for VolUp, Down and Mute) which can not be correct.

So I checked the key pressed values of my remote and they are for sure VK_Volume_Up and Down. What can I do!?

Are you trying to change the volume in Kodi or your system volume? Kodi will only change the app volume with the volume keys.

If you want to change your system volume I've found the best option to be an autohotkey script. You can make a really simple one and the commands for volume are pretty easy

Send {Volume_Up} ; Raise the master volume by 1 interval (typically 5%).
Send {Volume_Down 3} ; Lower the master volume by 3 intervals.
Send {Volume_Mute} ; Mute/unmute the master volume.

• Like 1

Tranquil

Hi!

Thank you for getting into it. I want to just change the KODI volume. Background is, that just changing the system volume only reduces volume on my 5.1 back speakers and not the front ones. Dont know why, think this is a driver issue of my soundcard.

My remote just sends typical VK_Volume_Down and Up commands (system keys) which are seems to be processed by the system and not by KODI. By the use of the above keyboard.xml I want Kodi to keep track of these system keys also.

I found a dirty workaround. I just coded a little tool that emulates keypresses for KODI if System Vol Up or Down is pressed. Not smart, but a first attempt.