Poll- Which Emby Client do you WANT (or use most)??

Xzener

Which Emby Client do you WANT (or used most)??  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Which Emby Client do you WANT (or use most)??

• Emby Theater (MBT or awaiting Emby Theater)
    • Emby Web Client
    • Emby Classic (WMC)
    • Emby for Android
    • Emby for IOS
    • Emby for Android TV or Amazon Fire TV
    • Emby for Kodi Plugin
    • Emby for Roku
    • Emby for Apple TV
    • Emby for Samsung Smart TV
    • Emby for Windows 8/10 App
    • Emby for Windows Phone
    • Media Browser for MediaPortal Plugin

Not sure what the correction was to, but I agree.  These small boxes are the largest potential market.

He was saying that the current Emby Theater's problem is being tied to windows, and yes I agree that is a problem but it's not the biggest problem.

But I will happily let you guys know, the new Emby Theater is not tied to windows and will be going multi-platform.

• Like 5

xnappo

Excellent!  The best we can hope for is to have really cool apps on the higher powered small devices (such as Nexus player which can run Kodi) and have those devices 'win' in the market.  Having the higher end Emby Theater not tied to Windows means that it can eventually be ported to the more powerful boxes.

• Like 1

MSattler

He was saying that the current Emby Theater's problem is being tied to windows, and yes I agree that is a problem but it's not the biggest problem.

But I will happily let you guys know, the new Emby Theater is not tied to windows and will be going multi-platform.

That is good news.  But is it going to be native to linux or run in the same manner Emby Server does?  While it works, sitting in chat, almost on a daily basis we get questions revolving around the linux implementation of Emby Server.  Mainly things that don't work in Linux for the initial setup and/or configuration as they do for Windows.

If you want ET to be a killer app, have it be native to linux, and part of stripped down version of linux.  Something like OpenElec.   Where you write the image to the SD card, you boot up, it finds the Emby Server, and you are done.  I have gotten good enough with OpenElec/Kodi, that I can have it setup in 20 minutes, and start watching movies.  Of course, with a ET OS install, it would even be faster, and that ideally is what we want.

• Like 1

It will be even better than that I assure. The real issue with any htpc app is no matter how good it is, it's not where the market is going right now.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Any Windows App released now should be universal. Desktop, Tablet, Phone, XBOX1. I agree that probably wasn't planned for Theater but the App has been in development for two years now. Surely something could have been delivered in that time. The iOS and Android Mobile apps are just wrappers of the Web Client. Yeah, I understand they have native players and other things under the hood but the average person is going to see a copy of the Web Client.  And yes, there should be a Mac and Linux client. Don't know how to write programs for them and don't have time to learn (or too old) or I would try to help. Tried to get my son involved because he has the skill to help. Unfortunately, goals aren't laid out enough for him to be interested.

Anyway, I realize that I am relic and each version of Emby gets further and further away from what originally drew me to the product. Interfaces are made more difficult to use from a computer and a tablet. Things that should be core are made into plugins (e.g. Plugin Updater and XML Saving) and things that should be plugins (e.g. auto organize) are made core. Half the time, I think the classes and data attributes are changed just to break custom CSS.

Oh well.. back to cleaning up the mess in my libraries caused by the switch to .nfo files months back. Tens of thousands of images to delete still.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri
  • Like 3

jasonmcroy

To jump in here again. I do feel like straight HTPC users are in the minority these days. With all the media streaming boxes for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc. not too many people are ripping all of their DVDs/Blurays to the computer and streaming them. Maybe I am incorrect about that, but it is what it seems like to me.

Even for me, my biggest need is TV Shows. Not even so much watching of Live TV. I honestly don't even do much of that except during Football season. I record all the shows my wife and I watch and we watch them at our leisure. So a good DVR program is essential and I think the easiest way to achieve that is via the HTPC. The only other options are Tivo and your own cable companies solutions. I like having more control over my media and I can get that with an HTPC. My in-laws are happy just being able to record their shows on the cable company's DVR box and deleting them when done. I like to keep certain Series that I record. There are some I just delete but I like the option of keeping it.

I guess that is why Kodi with the crew's awesome freakin' plugin development keeps me going because I can easily set up Kodi and it plays anything I throw at it. I can't always say that with some other apps unless I get the setting just right for that one type of file then it breaks how another file type plays. I don't want to go back and forth with settings. 

To be honest, the current Emby Theater plays my files just fine now. The interface isn't too bad. My biggest problem with it right now is no EPG guide. If just that were put into it to hold me over until the new Theater player is released, I'd be happy for a while.

Carry on...

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

The very same people who are asking for new Emby Theater and Kodi features can also be found in other threads with comments such as "man if this device gets abc I'll dump my htpc in a second.".

This is why I don't often pipe up on Emby Theater threads about how eager I am for the new version.  I AM eager but honestly, I don't want a PC in my family room any more.  I've never been happy with the usability of the PC in this space and think the future looks a lot more like the android TV client or the current win 10 client running on an xbox one.

On the other hand those devices have pretty limited audio support and not getting my HD audio bugs the crap out of me so I'm torn!

• Like 2

I currently use Emby for Android & Emby for Kodi on my phone, Emby for Fire TV & Emby for Kodi on my FireTV, & Emby for Roku.

The big reason I have Emby for Android and Emby for FIre TV is so I can have Emby transcode the tv streams over my crappy WiFi.  If the kodi addon for emby tv gets developed, I will most likely drop Emby for Android and Emby for Fire TV.  I think both are great programs, I just personally like how much I can customize Kodi, especially with how great of an addon those devs have made.

I voted for Emby for Roku, not because it's the one that I use the most, but because I think it's the one that is the furthest behind in development.  I also feel like it fills a specific niche market that no other device can fill.  The roku is the only device that provides access to Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Youtube, & Google Play videos.  (Android TV doesn't offer Amazon, Fire TV doesn't offer Google Play).  In addition to offering all of those things, it puts Emby on the same level of importance as all other services, unlike Fire TV & Android TV, who focus on their own provider's content.  The other one in this category is the Apple TV, but I don't really know much about it.  I do know that it doesn't support Google Play videos or Amazon Instant videos, so the argument still holds true.

That being said, the roku isn't my preferred device, but it is very popular platform.  For me, the biggest reason I would like to see Emby for Roku developed is to set it up for my parents.  Doing a simple file server, with a DVR, & a couple of rokus sounds like a low maintenance option that I can set them up with and forget about.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.  

So, I have an amendment to make to my previous statement.  I just read through the improvements being made to the android tv / fire tv.  I'll have to try those out and see if I still want to keep sideloading kodi on my firetv.

The changes look awesome btw.

• Like 2

So, I have an amendment to make to my previous statement. I just read through the improvements being made to the android tv / fire tv. I'll have to try those out and see if I still want to keep sideloading kodi on my firetv.

The changes look awesome btw.

Xnappo, perfect example. Tell all of them to go back to building their system with the big cpu can that everyone in the living room can hear

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

More worried about individual computers over televisions. The laptop and desktop has been forgotten in all of this. I have Rokus on my televisions but people want to watch on their desktops and laptops more than a television. I am not building HTPCs just trying to get content on computer screens. Big, bold, beautiful 32" computer screens.

Yes, I have tried the Windows App. It falls short in interface display, audio, and keyboard/mouse interaction. Maybe it is the answer. Theater was a better presentation on Desktops and Laptops and easier to use when it did work.

xnappo

Uhh - yes, I agree.  I agreed with your first statement and every statement since!

My last point was just that if Emby Theater code base runs on both Nexus Player and HTPCs that would be cool..

• Like 1

Xnappo, perfect example. Tell all of them to go back to building their system with the big cpu can that everyone in the living room can hear

LOL

But I have to disagree tho for the fact, hardly can hear cpu top cooler now days :)

• Like 1

Different clients for different uses.

Emby Android app for mobile, either Samsung Smart TV app for main viewing, but could also use Emby for Android TV on my Nexus Player.

In the bedroom, I have the Emby for Fire TV app in use.

I chose Other in the poil.

What a great discussion thread.

BTW, I changed my vote to the Samsung Smart TV app.

• Like 3

Well, maybe the market is moving toward small boxes... The numbers dont lie. People use MBT and are excited for the new Emby Theater. The fact that the market is moving, and ET will run on some of these devices... Shouldn't the Devs shift focus greatly to Emby Theater??

• Like 1

For me it depends on where I'm at in the house.  In my theater I have a 120 inch screen with 11.2 surround, I want something that can do HD audio and direct play all formats.  I currently use kodi with the plugin but it has it's quirks sometimes and I can't wait for the emby theater app.

In my living room I've tried several things, rokus, fire tv, etc and ended up going with a small zbox atom setup running kodi.  it's only a 3.1 setup so hd audio isn't important.

In my daughters room we have an android box that is set to boot to kodi, it's simple, and having only stereo speakers hd audio also doesn't matter.

MSattler

Well, maybe the market is moving toward small boxes... The numbers dont lie. People use MBT and are excited for the new Emby Theater. The fact that the market is moving, and ET will run on some of these devices... Shouldn't the Devs shift focus greatly to Emby Theater??

The problem is the number of people reading this thread is minimal compared to the number of actual users.  The people answering the pool are  the same users active in the forums anyways, they are not representative of most Emby server admins, IMHO.  On top of that, the actual consumption of the media is not done by those Server admins, but their friends and families.

In reality I think the poll shows what a small subset of Emby Server admins are wanting, but not what is actually being consumed.  It would be cool to allow Emby Server to start tracking which clients are connecting, and at what percentage, and report it back up.  Then you would have realistic understanding of the usage of each client.

MSattler

LOL

But I have to disagree tho for the fact, hardly can hear cpu top cooler now days :)

For me, it's less about the CPU and Fan noise and more about having a box that can provide Direct Playback, HD Audio, require no OS license, and doesn't require patching every 3-4 weeks.

My OpenElec installs are far more stable than any of my HTPC's ever where.

mgworek

I've always wanted to try MBT but I am a OS X user and don't want to install a windows machine just for that.

I can't see myself moving away from my PI2 with the Emby Kodi plugin. It plays everything.

I waited for the longest time for Apple to come out with a TV with app store. At this point, I don't see a reason for it now. I've tried Plex on the Logitech Revue, PS4, and Fire TV and well as Emby on the Fire TV. The apps can't play all formats natively so it's pointless for me. I hope I am wrong but I don't see that changing anytime soon. The hardware is powerful enough for it but the developers are limited to what they can and can not do. Which is fine for the average user but not for me. It's good for when I am on the road but not at home. 

I

I can't vote!  For me device doesn't matter, I'll use whatever Emby device meets a my few requirements:

1. Direct Play

2. HD Audio support

Currently, that list is pretty small, although I'll admit it is quite a bit larger than it was when MB3 was in it's first public Beta. 

What do I use most?  I use my Roku 3 device, likely soon to be replaced with my Fire TV (Emby app or Emby through Kodi plug-in).  Why?  Because my Windows 10 HTPC running either MBT/ET, WMC, Emby through Kodi plug-in, EMBY Windows App, DNLA or even Chrome Browser, doesn't consistently work well.  It's not necessarily the specific Emby apps fault, it can largely depend on the OS.  But nothing is more frustrating then sitting down to watch a show/movie with full bit-streamed HD Audio, 1080p or higher video, etc., only to have ET crash on start-up, WMC not want to load the list of 1500+ movies, or no audio output from either the Kodi/Emby plug-in or EMBY Windows App and DLNA and chrome browser are going to transcode it so what's the point.  

Set top boxes, for the most part just work!  Sit down, turn on the TV, open the EMBY app and press play!  If, for some reason, there is a problem with the box a quick unplug and re-plug normally fixes it.  Otherwise, the only other possible source of an issue is EMBY Server itself, which would affect playback on all devices anyway.  

So really what I "WANT" is a set top box that direct plays all videos and HD audio (if the video contains it).  Does that even exist yet?  Maybe the new Fire TV or the new Nvidia Shield, if not I'm sure there will be something....... eventually????  

Whatever the solution, I believe it is much more likely to come in the form of a set top box than an HTPC.

MSattler

So really what I "WANT" is a set top box that direct plays all videos and HD audio (if the video contains it).  Does that even exist yet?  Maybe the new Fire TV or the new Nvidia Shield, if not I'm sure there will be something....... eventually????  

Whatever the solution, I believe it is much more likely to come in the form of a set top box than an HTPC.

For me this exists in a ChromeBox, or any J1900 intel box, running OpenElec/Kodi, and Emby Sync.  It get's me TrueHD/DTS-HD, and apparently it can even do 4k 30hz, although I have yet to try it.

TrueHD audio output on android settop's seems to be hit or miss.