Multiple Libraries for same path - log says 'Found duplicate path'

goldielocks
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

goldielocks

Hey everyone,

The music collection on my server is organised into folders for who in the house likes it. The missus listens to stuff I would never like, and vise-versa, and then there's a bunch of stuff we both like.

The folder structure is as follows (names anonymised!)

D:\Data\Music\Mine\

D:\Data\Music\Hers\
D:\Data\Music\Shared\

So I've setup libraries for each of these folders, but then I'd also quite like an 'All' library so if we have guests at a party they can pick from anything from any folder. 

So my libraries point at the above three folders, and then an extra library just pointing at:

D:\Data\Music\

However, the 'All' library is the only one which is getting any music in it at all. Having checked the logs, I can see:

2015-09-15 09:37:21.0364 Info - App: Found duplicate path: D:\Data\Music\Shared
2015-09-15 09:37:21.0678 Info - App: Found duplicate path: D:\Data\Music\Mine
2015-09-15 09:37:21.0678 Info - App: Found duplicate path: D:\Data\Music\Hers

I know they're duplicates, that's how I've set them up!!

How can I workaround this to get it to actually scan them regardless? Or am I going about this the wrong way?

Server version from the logs I think is 'Version: 3.0.5724.3'.

I suggest creating another user that has access to all 3 folders and just sign in as that user when you have a party

So you would setup a user for you which has access to your music and shared, a user for your partner which has access to their music and shared, and another "all" user which has access to all 3 folders

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

goldielocks

I suggest creating another user that has access to all 3 folders and just sign in as that user when you have a party

So you would setup a user for you which has access to your music and shared, a user for your partner which has access to their music and shared, and another "all" user which has access to all 3 folders

This seems a bit clunky... sometimes I use the 'All' folder when I can't remember if a certain artist or album is in my folder or the 'Shared' folder... just look at it all and I can find by artist/album etc. - having to change users to do this would be a bit of a pain.

I was hoping the option to detect duplicate paths was configurable somewhere, is this not the case?

Surely if I've pointed emby at a folder to use for a library it should just use that folder, not decide it's a duplicate and not scan anything at all into the library? If it's clever enough to deal with duplicates properly by only scanning the folder once but loading the items into multiple libraries then yeah, detect away with duplicates, but if it's just going to ignore the library completely that seems a bit silly to me.

The only other workaround I can think of is to use different paths to refer to the same folders - i.e. setup the 'All' library as D:\Music\All with path substitution to change D:\ to the IP address of the server, then setup each individual folder as \\server\D$\Music\Mine etc. but without path substitution... but this seems like a bit of a hack!

shorty1483

@@goldielocks

You could work out your problem out using junctions.

Example:

Create a folder called "All" inside D:\Data\Music\

So you have this structure:

D:\Data\Music\All

Then navigate into D:\Data\Music\All , open a command prompt inside the folder and use the following commands:

mklink /j Mine "D:\Data\Music\Mine\"
mklink /j Hers "D:\Data\Music\Hers\"
mklink /j Shared "D:\Data\Music\Shared\"

Now you have created virtual symlinks inside D:\Data\Music\All to the other 3 folders. Now you can add D:\Data\Music\All as Music library and the 3 virtual subfolders with all youe music should be in the library. When the other 3 folders already have things like folder.jpg, nfo etc. inside it should exactly look like the other 3 folders.

Edited by shorty1483
  • Like 1

AdrianW

Create three libraries: Hers, Mine & Shared

Give your user access to Mine & Shared.

Give her user access to Hers and Shared.

Create a Guest user with access to all three.

goldielocks

@@goldielocks

You could work out your problem out using junctions.

Example:

Create a folder called "All" inside D:\Data\Music\

So you have this structure:

D:\Data\Music\All

Then navigate into D:\Data\Music\All , open a command prompt inside the folder and use the following commands:

mklink /j Mine "D:\Data\Music\Mine\"
mklink /j Hers "D:\Data\Music\Hers\"
mklink /j Shared "D:\Data\Music\Shared\"

Now you have created virtual symlinks inside D:\Data\Music\All to the other 3 folders. Now you can add D:\Data\Music\All as Music library and the 3 virtual subfolders with all youe music should be in the library. When the other 3 folders already have things like folder.jpg, nfo etc. inside it should exactly look like the other 3 folders.

Perfect, that's sorted it. Thanks!

goldielocks

It seems my idea and your idea of clunky are completely opposing... I'd say the direction you've taken is clunky:)

It would seem so  :P

This way gives me easy access to the music from the emby UI, albeit with a not so ideal file system setup needed on the server.

As it's not just me that needs access to the music, it's better for the UI to be clean and the filesystem (which only I manage) to be messy, rather than the other way round  :D

• Solution

You shouldn't have needed any junctions here.  Just the following:

Library: Hers

Media Locations: hers and shared

Library: Mine

Media Locations: mine and shared

Library: All

Media Locations: mine, hers and shared

• Like 1

You shouldn't have needed any junctions here. Just the following:

You are the third to suggest this setup

goldielocks

You are the third to suggest this setup

To be fair @@Vidman, this was not your suggestion, yours was to setup three separate users:

I do like this suggestion though @@ebr, so where I was going wrong was that I was setting my 'All' library up at the parent level, rather than for all the individual child folders.

You shouldn't have needed any junctions here.  Just the following:

Thanks all!

Edited by goldielocks

Shorty - apologies for taking away your accepted answer but I want future folks to realize that they don't need to setup junctions in order to make this work.

• Like 1

To be fair @@Vidman, this was not your suggestion, yours was to setup three separate users:

I do like this suggestion though @@ebr, so where I was going wrong was that I was setting my 'All' library up at the parent level, rather than for all the individual child folders.

Thanks all!

Yes you are right sorry I assumed you would not want your partners or friend's choice in music to affect your suggestions/play counts and what have you Edited by Vidman