report progress - multiple parts

Angelblue05

Angelblue05

I find reporting progress for multiple parts is extremely complex. I wish playstate was associated to the main item only. Currently in Kodi, I'm trying to implement stack:// functionality so that movies with multiple parts are seen as one item. Playlist do not work correctly for this.

Is there a way we can report progress to the main item Id where it contains the total runtime of parts combined. This would solve issue such as resume status where the positiontick might be in the second part which is a different itemid, having to keep track of which part is being played and watch status associated to parts rather than the item as a whole.

I hope this makes sense. :) Multiple parts should still be treated as one item with combined runtime, userdata, and the parts should only be queries for playback, not for check-in.

Edited by Angelblue05

With EMC I just managed this on the client end.  I present a single item to the user and figure out if a resume point is in the first or additional part(s) behind the scenes.  The progress bar isn't unified but pretty much everything else is.

While we have wanted to do this for a long time I think the use of these types of items is waning and won't continue to the future - especially with it so easy to merge anything except an actual disc rip.

So, I think it will be hard to justify spending much time making this a whole lot better than it is on the server end - but I'll leave that decision up to Luke.

Angelblue05

@@ebr

Yeah, the situation is more for disc rip than anything else. Kodi uses a specific interface player for them and the item needs to be passed as a stack:// item. However there's no way of knowingwhich part is currently being played so keeping track of everything, especially if the user decides to skip between parts is proven a complex feat.

We also set the resume point using the emby server websocket message. If the resume point happens to be in the second part, then nothing gets set in Kodi because it's associated to the additional part Id and we do not import additional parts (they are not returned in the api) in the database.

Also how do you prevent marking as watched? If the user stops playing the item in the second part, then the first part is watched according to the server and therefore will mark the item as watched in Kodi database. It's just overall nightmare, hopefully Luke decides to check it out. If I knew C#, I'd pitch in. :)

Edited by Angelblue05

Honestly I'm not positive how the watched processing works.  Very few people use this functionality anymore so it doesn't get much testing.

I haven't even put multiple part support into the ATV app and no one has said a word about it.

I know the Kodi user base is much larger and older though so probably a bigger issue for you.