Unable to Connect

Dissonance
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Dissonance

Hello! I have Emby for Windows installed on a Win7 machine. It always worked with my Roku, but recently stopped working even though I didn't make any changes. I just reinstalled media browser 3 to no avail. I'm uncertain how to trouble shoot this. Would someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

D

• Solution

Ok, try choosing the option to connect manually to your server. Then you'll have to enter the address manually. See if that makes a difference.

• Like 1

I'm having this issue and everything I have done and tried does not work, the server gets detected automaticly but fails to connect so I try to connect to it manually by entering the ip and it fails to connect, this only happens when I try to connect to remotely via my phonee, I have not been able to try to try another computer remotely, any help would be greatly appreciated

I'm having this issue and everything I have done and tried does not work, the server gets detected automaticly but fails to connect so I try to connect to it manually by entering the ip and it fails to connect, this only happens when I try to connect to remotely via my phonee, I have not been able to try to try another computer remotely, any help would be greatly appreciated

What app? Please see http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/

wow Seriously this is how the support for this software is going to be, with admins going around and just replying to peoples posts with template replies like what ahppen, when it strictly says in my post what app I am having a problem with and I guess the domain doesn't say enough either but for you admins who fail to know how to read, Im talking about emby media browswer

Apologies if offense was taken. We work very hard to help people here, so anything we can do to speed up that process does make things easier.

When I say app. I mean which client app, for example, Windows Phone, android, web client, etc.

Apologies if offense was taken. We work very hard to help people here, so anything we can do to speed up that process does make things easier.

When I say app. I mean which client app, for example, Windows Phone, android, web client, etc.

The app I am using on my phone is the android app downloadable via the play store, my phone can view the server fine if it's on the local network but when I leave my house and try to view remotely it gives me a connection failed

ok. login to the server's web interface and check the external address that is displayed on the front page. Is that correct?

If so, try using the web client away from home and see if that works. that will help us isolate an app problem vs. a general external connection problem. To use the web client away from home, you'll simply try to visit that same external address that is displayed on the dashboard.

ok. login to the server's web interface and check the external address that is displayed on the front page. Is that correct?

If so, try using the web client away from home and see if that works. that will help us isolate an app problem vs. a general external connection problem. To use the web client away from home, you'll simply try to visit that same external address that is displayed on the dashboard.

Yes the address is correct, and when I do click it I get

401 Unauthorized

I have no way to try it view web interface remotely as I do not have access to a pc as I am a stay at home dad so not too sure how I could test it away from home

you can do it from the browser on your smartphone. to test, either disable wifi, or walk out of the house until it switches to your mobile connection.

you can do it from the browser on your smartphone. to test, either disable wifi, or walk out of the house until it switches to your mobile connection.

This does not work, below is a screen shot of the error

55f38bbe1c8ca_69M6qwJ.png

Ok, thank you. In your case this is just a general connectivity problem. Most likely you're router's firewall is not allowing the incoming traffic. Emby will attempt to authorize with your firewall but it does not work with all routers, so this is something you're going to have to configure, or at the very least, double check.

You need to setup port forwarding from external port 8096 to port 8096 on the computer that Emby Server is running on. This guide right here is pretty good:

http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-Port-Forwarding-on-a-Router

There are also a million how-to videos on youtube, you can probably find one for your specific router.

Ok, thank you. In your case this is just a general connectivity problem. Most likely you're router's firewall is not allowing the incoming traffic. Emby will attempt to authorize with your firewall but it does not work with all routers, so this is something you're going to have to configure, or at the very least, double check.

You need to setup port forwarding from external port 8096 to port 8096 on the computer that Emby Server is running on. This guide right here is pretty good:

There are also a million how-to videos on youtube, you can probably find one for your specific router.

Thanks, bud, I will read that and check into it

Luke, I came back and re-read your post, I have had port forwarded a long time ago did it right after it was installed, I run OpenWRT on my tp-link router right now, only other thing I can think of is that cox is filtering the port emby uses, have you heard anything about that might being the issue?

Does canyouseeme.org show the port open?

Yes, Sir, I checked that this morning and it shows it open so I go to check to see if it works clicked on the external link in the server dashboard and comes right up, turn my wifi off on my phone and check it there and waalaa it works so I have no idea why, but it's working and that's all that matters, thanks for the help guys.

• 2 weeks later...
Happy2Play

Is port forwarding needed for TCP or UDP traffic or both?

I have mine set to both but I believe only TCP is required.

• Like 1

Hi everyone. I am having the same problem.  I have windows 7 ultimate and I want to connect to Emby.  The reason being I need a media centre for my computer which will be lost when I go to windows 10.  I have installed Emby but I cannot connect to the server.  When I try to connect it asks for a host name which I don't know.  When I put my computer name in it tells me "Unable to connect to the server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again."  I have also entered port forwarding on my router to port 8096 with an ip address of 192.168.1.100. I don't know what more I can do.  Any help please.