Comics/Ebooks

charlox

charlox

I've been dying to know if this has garnered enough interest to be worked on. I found Emby (MediaBrowser 3 at the time) and its bookshelf plugin while I was searching for something that was like Plex for comics. Plex doesn't do this (and probably never will), Kodi doesn't have what I'm looking for either, and ComicRack seems to be dead at the moment. Unfortunately the bookshelf plugin doesn't work the way I had hoped. I was dissappointed to see it only offer a download to the file to which I can open it to the program of my choosing. Even browsing through the books I only had the option of going through folder-like directories and couldn't browse by author like the people section in the other media types. I would love for it to be fully integrated into Emby where I can open and read a comic right on my phone and tablet or even my web browser as I could with my movies and tv shows.

Also, I hope to god somone is working on the "Games launching in android" feature you mentioned on your up-for-grabs blog post. That would be awesome!  :)

• Like 25
  • Agree 4

• 5 years later...
trusselo

I just discovered digital comics....

I would LOVE this to be added to emby.

DEV NOTE... CBR and CBZ files are RAR and ZIP files full of JPEGS.  ..and PDFs... are PDFs...  thats it.  If i were smarter id figure this could be done in a plugin...

There are many other requests:

could you add a comic/manga media type? - Feature ... - Emby

Edited by trusselo
  • Like 2

CloudWing93

I would totally love this feature too. Calibre is a great tool but there aren't really any good mobile clients. I have been dying for something that would be serve up my own ebooks and save their states across devices.

• 3 weeks later...
trusselo

Do we allow plugin bounties? 

ill put 50$ CDN on a bounty for this.

OP please add [BOUNTY] to thread title.

Edited by trusselo

trusselo
On 13/11/2020 at 20:22, F688 said:

Have you tried Ubooquity?

yes. its currently running on my unraid server.  
its kinda gross looking...  i prefer comicrack for windows machines.  great for scraping metadata with a plugin!  - comicvine scraper - it auto scraped 2/3 of my 30K book comic collection....
and just not easy to use/access for the other members of my emby family... most of whom do not reside on the same side of Canada as I do.

Edited by trusselo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 14/11/2020 at 00:55, trusselo said:

Do we allow plugin bounties? 

ill put 50$ CDN on a bounty for this.

OP please add [BOUNTY] to thread title.

I've been hoping for years this would appear, as there is no good solution for ebooks over a network (Ubookquity is very limited and the various web interfaces for calibre require running a separate calibre server, plus they all have awful UX).

I'd happily pay, say, $100 USD towards a emby plugin that let me browse ebooks by author / title / series / format.

(I'd pay a lot more for a general plugin that handled metadata in a more extensible way for any media type, but that's another story.)

• 5 weeks later...
RanmaCanada

I'll add another $50 CDN to this bounty.  

So whoever makes this plugin, you're looking at $100 CDN and $100 USD.

GrimReaper
On 12/31/2020 at 8:39 PM, mtjj said:

I've been hoping for years this would appear, as there is no good solution for ebooks over a network (Ubookquity is very limited and the various web interfaces for calibre require running a separate calibre server, plus they all have awful UX).

I reckon calibre-web has a pretty slick interface, but yes, you do need to run in separately. Tiny imprint, tho. And I still think it looks great and does what it's supposed to do great as well. 

letterman

I'd happily pay another 100 EUR towards an emby plugin that lets me view EPUB & PDF only.
Brows via Directory-structure is sufficiant. No need for metatags, but reading within emby should be possible (not only download)

• 6 months later...
trusselo

current total of 200$USD and 100$CND bounty....

Edited by trusselo

• 2 months later...
MagicDoubleM

In theory you could unpack the files and put the images into gallery folders. With the right naming and all this could work. Of course that's a completely manual solution, doesn't include metadata and all the fancy stuff, but you probably can already "stream" Comics via Emby.

Need to try that tomorrow.

But yeah, count me very interested for a real implementation. 😉

• Like 1

This is absolutely one of the most important feature requests (for me). I currently use Ubooquity to do things, but it's starting to get outdated. I'd love to use a direct Emby implementation.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
MANTISxB

Bumping. This would absolutely increase my Emby usage and would be fantastic. I have thousands of comics, manga, and books and this would be amazing to have. 

I noticed books in the Emby list when uploading today. Is something being worked on?

• Agree 1