Question about movie sets

ayeroff

ayeroff

I'm a longtime Kodi (XMBC) user, but am brand new to Emby.  I'm looking at using Emby as my backend server, with Kodi "clients" on each of my TVs as the front end.  I've read a ton of great things about Emby for this purpose, so I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and just trying to get a few answers to some of the details I haven't been able to figure out on my own.  My current question concerns Movie Sets.

Some of my movies are grouped in sets.  For example, the 6 star wars movies are in a folder called "Star Wars Collection".  In that set's folder are the 6 separate folders for each star wars movie, but also a "fanart" "poster" and "logo" for the set itself.  All of this info, including the name and artwork for the set, are saved in the NFO file that accompanies each individual movie.  In Kodi, the movies display as a single Star Wars Collection set, with its own artwork.  When I click that set, the 6 star wars movies appear with their respective artwork.  

Is this same functionality available using Emby as my backend and Kodi as my frontend?  I'm testing it out on my desktop with Kodi and Emby just using a dozen or so movies, including 2 sets.  And I can't seem to figure out how to get the movies to display in their sets rather than individually.  Your advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks! 

Deathsquirrel

The functionality exists but that's not the correct way to access it.  To create a collection of star wars films the folders for each of the six films should be in the same library folder as any other movie would be.  Then you can either manually build the collection through the web UI or you could install the auto boxset plugin and it would build it for you automatically.

Currently we support storing the set tag in nfo as a means to pass it to Kodi, but we have implemented our own collections feature a different way. I would like to eventually add support for displaying collections based on the set tag, but we haven't gotten to it yet.

AdrianW

I'm still using folders for my collections with a folder.jpg and collection.xml in the folder and they work fine in Emby - don't know about Kodi though.

ayeroff

Currently we support storing the set tag in nfo as a means to pass it to Kodi, but we have implemented our own collections feature a different way. I would like to eventually add support for displaying collections based on the set tag, but we haven't gotten to it yet.

Thank you for the response.  I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly:  

Currently in my Kodi setup, each movie that is part of a set includes the name of the set tag in the NFO.  So my sets work perfectly in Kodi, and Kodi automatically displays my set artwork using the Movie Set Artwork Automator plug-in.  If I implement Emby as my back end server, and then use it to reset my Kodi library and instead point Kodi to my new Emby library, then the sets should still display in Kodi just like they do now because the set tags are already in my NFO files?  Do I have that correct? 

Vidman

I suggest using a flat folder structure for all your movies, set up your collections in emby server (auto boxsets plugin can help with this) when it is all set up how you like in emby server (trust me it is not difficult to do with emby- especially with the plugin i mentioned) then install emby for kodi add on to your kodi boxes and it will import the sets along with your movie , tv and music libraries

• 6 months later...

Hi,

is this feature on the way? :)

Because I created all of my nfo's using MediaElch and it handles movie sets that way (e. g. "Alien Collection"). So I don't have TheMovieDB Collection ID's in my nfo files. That's why I had to create all movie sets manually in Emby to see them in Kodi.

Thanks in advance!

icedragonslair

I know this is necro'g a thread, but has there been any progress on this since it is, and has been for a long time, really the only thing keeping me from moving back to emby (long time user until a couple years ago) as a back end. I have a very large number of my blu-rays stored on my server (900+ very large files) and though i use kodi as a front end right now on three of my systems, I also use other devices that only use samba as a way to share these files. If I didn't set and subset my files trying to scan through all these without the set/subset files system would take forever and a day  :)

To clarify, i have main set folders (for the 'b' movie collection  I have) 50's Sci-Fi & Horror, 60's Sci-Fi & Horror, 70's Sci-Fi & Horror, 80's Sci-Fi & Horror, 90's Sci-Fi & Horror & 2K Sci-Fi & Horror, just to name a few. All have their own graphics and xml/nfo's to make scanning them in any device handy and quick, as well as being really easy in kodi as well. I even use plex for one system (daughter's for it's parental guidance system) and it works well with that as well.

So to reiterate, is there any hope for this (manual sets in folder trees) to happen in emby so I can come back ?

Thanks ,

Ice

Deathsquirrel

I don't think that's related to this @@icedragonslair.  What you've written simply sounds like using folder view which, while I want no part of it, works fine in Emby and has for some time.  Seems like a dreadful PITA to manage that all on disk but it should be fine.

Happy2Play

I know this is necro'g a thread, but has there been any progress on this since it is, and has been for a long time, really the only thing keeping me from moving back to emby (long time user until a couple years ago) as a back end. I have a very large number of my blu-rays stored on my server (900+ very large files) and though i use kodi as a front end right now on three of my systems, I also use other devices that only use samba as a way to share these files. If I didn't set and subset my files trying to scan through all these without the set/subset files system would take forever and a day   :)

To clarify, i have main set folders (for the 'b' movie collection  I have) 50's Sci-Fi & Horror, 60's Sci-Fi & Horror, 70's Sci-Fi & Horror, 80's Sci-Fi & Horror, 90's Sci-Fi & Horror & 2K Sci-Fi & Horror, just to name a few. All have their own graphics and xml/nfo's to make scanning them in any device handy and quick, as well as being really easy in kodi as well. I even use plex for one system (daughter's for it's parental guidance system) and it works well with that as well.

So to reiterate, is there any hope for this (manual sets in folder trees) to happen in emby so I can come back ?

Thanks ,

Ice

Have you looked at disabling enhance view?  User icon top right-Settings-Home Screen setting-View Styles

icedragonslair

I don't think that's related to this @@icedragonslair.  What you've written simply sounds like using folder view which, while I want no part of it, works fine in Emby and has for some time.  Seems like a dreadful PITA to manage that all on disk but it should be fine.

Actually Deathsquirrel, displaying by set tag (which you can set manually ) will do what I am asking while leaving my folder structure intact, that's why I necro'd this thread. so i guess it does apply to this topic

Deathsquirrel

Actually Deathsquirrel, displaying by set tag (which you can set manually ) will do what I am asking while leaving my folder structure intact, that's why I necro'd this thread. so i guess it does apply to this topic

Well considering Happy2Play also thought you meant folder view, I don't feel so bad in having misunderstood what you were describing. :)

Glad to hear you've got something working the way you want.