Music Collection Grouping / Sorting inside Music-Collection

Kosta

Hello,

I'm finding that beside the function to group movies into collections I miss the function to group the same for music.

Say I have the Beethoven Collection of Symphonies. Those comes on couple of CDs. Thus they are seen as different albums. But they should be under ONE icon in Emby. Even if I put them into the collection, there is no option to show them under one album like there is in the movies section.

Currently I have like 9 icons for a collection consisting of 9 CDs, and I can press each one and open the whole collection, which brings me to the 2nd point:

Secondly, when I open the collection consisting of music CDs, they are not sorted correctly.

The correct sorting would be:

CD1

Title1

Title2

Title3...

CD2

Title1

Title2

Title3...

Currently it's

Title1

Title1

Title1

Title2

Title2

Title2

Title3

Title3

Title3

which is kinda pointless.

The ability to separate the collections in the metadata manager and the main display would be an additional bonus! I really don't want to mix my movies and music in any way.

Deathsquirrel

Because that makes absolutely no sense for one artist and his discography.

That's normally how multiple discs in a CD set are implemented.  You get a 4CD set and you make sure your ID3 tags are setup with the same album name, appropriate track names, and the relevant disc number.  I do genre as well.  The result is one album shown under that artist for that collection.  When you click on it you see the tracks for that album broken out by disc.

I don't know if I'm really being that unclear.

I am not talking about compilations, or collections with multiple CDs.

Let's talk example:

I have 15 soundtracks of Hans Zimmer which are each an independent album for itself. It would make no sense giving those albums any kind of CD number or anything. But it would make sense making a collection in the same way as you can do for movies.

Deathsquirrel

I don't know if I'm really being that unclear.

I am not talking about compilations, or collections with multiple CDs.

Let's talk example:

I have 15 soundtracks of Hans Zimmer which are each an independent album for itself. It would make no sense giving those albums any kind of CD number or anything. But it would make sense making a collection in the same way as you can do for movies.

Well your initial post specifically described a situation where you have multiple CDs in a set.  Setting that aside then, how would you use a collection to address the situation you're describing above?  If I'm looking at music I can already group by album artist, artist, and genre with the default music views.  So I can see all my Hans Zimmer albums under album artist or artist, depending on how I have my ID3 tags entered, and I can see all my soundtracks under genres.

If you describe the problem you want to solve it will likely help people understand the solution you're asking for.

Indeed I did. I guess I was thinking both scenarios, described only one though. Sorry about that. Have kinda sleep deprivation lately due to some health issues...

I know I can already do that, that is what I am trying to avoid though. Currently I have simple folder structure. I am very happy with the view of it. My albums are names in following manner:

<Artist> - <Year> - <Album>

And for specific artists, I have folders called <Artist> Collection.

The reason for the 2nd is that I simplify myself the browsing through 400 albums, and taking into account that I have to enter the collection first for some chosen artists.

Now, I said I am happy with the folder structure and the last thing I like is the DLNA/ITUNES-like sorting of music. Optionally fine, but I want my default view to be folder-like structure.

What I don't have is the cool metadata processing - fanart, info and recognition. I can of course manually keep downloading fanart, but it's quite cool when Emby downloads stuff automatically for the specific movie and/or album.

So that is why I would like what I outlined above. But I've come to understand that it might be a niche wish, as most people are satisfied with the DLNA/ITUNES-like function. I guess I'll go "back to my world" :D