Picard Filenaming Help

mediacowboy

mediacowboy

I am using MusicBrainz Picard to organize my nightmare music library. That has been abused and neglected for many many years. Anyways I ran across a problem where there are albums with long names and it cause issue with Emby and the File system. So my question is what are some of the Filenaming patterns some of you are using to handle long album names.

Just for example this is one of the folders I am having issues with.

\\ROBINSON-MEDIA\Media\Music\Mozart; Academy of St Martin in the Fields, Sir Neville Marriner, Alfred Brendel, Imogen Cooper\Piano Concerto in F _ Piano Concerto in E-flat\

That is before you even get to the song name. I will take any help possible on how to handle this or even an idea.

Nologic

Academy of St Martin in the Fields, Sir Neville Marriner, Alfred Brendel, Imogen Cooper

I'd leave at least that part as meta data...and not file name.

I typically have my music labeled:

<Artist or Group>\<Album>\<Song>.ext

Now given your example...and since Mozart never put out an album...I'd do it like so:

Mozart\Piano Concerto in E-flat.mp3

The only reason I could see why one would list who performed the work of someone else...is if you have multiple variations of Mozart's "Piano Concerto in E-flat"..other wise I'd just nip it short and call it a day.

Actually...I don't think I'd even leave the E-flat part in the file name. So...

Mozart\Piano Concerto.mp3

Edited by Nologic

I'm pretty much the same as Nologic.

Personally, my classical music uses the original composer as the "Album Artist" (which creates the directory in my setting) and everyone else gets to be in the Artist field. While not correct, since there is a tag for composer, prior to Emby I needed shorter names. I also prune the album name enough that it is short but not so much that it conflicts. Many of my classical discs are Suites or compilations so, I have things like "Great Overtures" or "Piano Classics" and end up with:

[Media Path]\Tchaikovsky\Nutcracker Suite\Waltz of the Flowers.mp3

I'm sure the Ljubljana Symphony Orchestra will forgive me when I only give them artist credit!