Organizing typical family-generated media

davideps

davideps

Hello,

I have Emby server running on a Windows desktop at home. Family members access the server primarily through a Roku 3 device. I've reviewed the media organization and file naming conventions in the wiki. I'd like to better understand how best to apply those conventions in the context of family-generated media.

We have 2 cell phones (iphone & android), a digital camera, and also receive photos and videos from relatives. All members of the family would like access to each others' media.  Is there any benefit to creating a user account on Windows named "Emby" and logging-in as that user when downloading media from all devices and sources? Possibly an additional complication is that the iPhone pairs best with iTunes to manage its media.

The organization guidelines suggest placing media of the same type together. Our Canon camera stores photos and video together in folders named by the date. When creating an Emby library, is it possible to use wildcards to index only JPG files in a directory and then only MOV files? Is it possible to ignore RAW image files, which are very large?

Thank you,

-david

There's [no] way to customize extensions as of yet, but having video folders within photo folders is fine.

davideps

Thanks Luke. I do see that Emby handles mixed content in a folder fairly well!

I'd like to hear from other people using Emby in the home primarily to curate content generated from various cell phones, personal cameras, etc. For example, do iPhone users use iTunes to sync and then point Emby to the iTunes directory? Do they tend to clear content from their devices and access solely through Emby? I'd like to come up with a workflow that allows me to spend more time taking photos and videos and less time wrangling with software.

-david