Windows 10 Tip. Pin the Server to the Start Menu

swhitmore

swhitmore

People might already know this one, but I just found out about it from Reddit and thought it was pretty cool. Obviously there is a Windows Store app for Emby, but this is handy for things like server and metadata management.

Using Chrome, go to your Emby server, click on the hamburger menu in the top right, hover over "More Tools," click on "Add to taskbar..." and make sure "Open as Window" is selected. A new shortcut will go to your taskbar (it will go to your "Recently Added" on the Start menu for Windows 10). This will make a desktop app of the website, which effectively makes it an app you can have open and minimize without having your browser open.

You can do this for other websites too. A few that work well are:

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 4

swhitmore

Here are some screenshots. The top is my start screen, I have it pinned next to the Emby app. The bottom is the chrome 'app'. There is a thin bar at the top. Not sure if it's possible to remove it.

55d2c55292440_Screenshot6.png

55d2c581794fe_Screenshot8.png

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

jasonmcroy

Nice find! However, I set up my start menu to not show the recently added data and now I can't seem to get it back. I Googled it and the instructions I got don't help because I am missing the "start menu" tab on the area it says to add it. 

Does it show up anywhere else as well for me to add it to my taskbar? I would love to use this feature instead of having to open Chrome every time I want to go to the server page.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the location on my c drive for the task - if anyone is like me and deleted the recently used apps on the start menu, the location of this is C:\Users\{your username inserted here}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Chrome Apps

Edited by jasonmcroy
  • Like 1

jasonmcroy

I just wanted to comment again that this tip is working fantastic! I have been using it each time I need to go into the Server to do updates while testing on the Dev Server and I think it's awesome not to have to open my browser since it's just there on my task bar. 

• Like 1

swhitmore

I just wanted to comment again that this tip is working fantastic! I have been using it each time I need to go into the Server to do updates while testing on the Dev Server and I think it's awesome not to have to open my browser since it's just there on my task bar. 

The funny thing is, apparently this has been around since Windows 7. I know you can pin stuff with IE, but the server works better in chrome for me.

Also, if you're on a tablet like me, and want fullscreen, you can add --kiosk to the target argument in the shortcut properties.

Edited by swhitmore

jasonmcroy

I will have to set that up on my tablet then. I set it up on my laptop too but didn't think about it for my tablet. I will have to check it out.

• 2 months later...
jluce50

For some reason after the 1511 update the icon has changed to the Chrome logo. Anyone know if it's possible to get the Emby logo back?